[New Template] State Template suite

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby Fredo-p » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:17 pm

sketch wrote:Anyway, La. test page for now: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Louisiana/Test

Sketch,
for your AM section, wouldn't your CM's "Area Managed" be USA or Countrywide instead of Statewide?
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby sketch » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Different states seem to do that differently. The AM table in the current La. page uses "statewide", as do many (but not all) of the current new-template test pages. The table is there for editors in that state who need help, so CMs can help them out statewide. I think that's the idea.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:34 am

Good questions. Let me address each.
qwaletee wrote:Any reason the main template is in article space instead of template space?

We are generally placing templates that are functions in the Template:xxx space and templates that are mainly text related to a page that is transcoded into a page as a subpage of the primary page.

Our wiki was set up to allow subpages in the main namespace to allow for related pages to be more easily found and managed. The majority of the state page template suite is primarily text being transcluded. Therefore I placed them in the main namespace. I realize that has the down side of appearing in general searches, but it also made it more easy to automate some of the other page name automation.

qwaletee wrote:The CM/RC/AM/SM sections, when you edit them using the template (as linked form the doc page) tell you to go back and click the link next to the table. I don't think that's the correct instruction. It appears to be fixed boilerplate, so better get that straightened out before any real pages go live. Hopefully, I've ust misunderstood it, but even so, that's cause for a bit of alarm.

I am not sure I follow what you might be seeing as broken. Maybe give me a link to a specific page that you believe is incorrect. Currently the states being tested are all working for editors based on the instructions the are reading. I believe they are currently correct.

qwaletee wrote:The BasePage2 template uses the RootPage template doc. Is that by design? Seems to be a CnP error.

Templates that are highly related often use the same set of instructions to help compare and contrast. I can add a note to the top clarifying that fact on the doc page.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 am

sketch wrote:It might seem counterintuitive, but I would prefer if the word "legal" as it pertains to the existence of red light / speed cameras should be rendered in red, and the word "illegal" in the same context rendered in green. Maybe I'm just looking at it from the driver's point of view, rather than the editor's.

Interesting perspective I had not considered. When I thought about coloring it I thought the editor reading the page would associate red with something that should not be mapped and therefore a state with cameras being illegal would see red and know not to map them. Then the legal camera states would show green and know it was OK to show cameras. I am having a hard time associating a "red legal" message for editors.

If we were talking about the client app, then maybe a red warning to look out for cameras would be appropriate. I am open to consensus if we can get more opinions.

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:44 am

Fredo-p wrote:
sketch wrote:Anyway, La. test page for now: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Louisiana/Test

Sketch,
for your AM section, wouldn't your CM's "Area Managed" be USA or Countrywide instead of Statewide?

When I think of an Area Manager table for a specific state, as an editor in the state I only need to know who can help me in the state. If someone is listed in this table I would expect it to tell me what part of the state they cover. Therefore I think the current entries are appropriate for the use.

(EDIT: I just noticed sketch also answered before me. I think we said the same thing.)

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SkiDooGuy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:23 am

Starting with the questions. :)

When I go to create a "Unique Portion" for MI it doesn't seem to be editing to the correct page.

I created the new page under: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Michigan/test

However when I edit the Unique Portion this is my URL:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?title=Michigan/Resources/Main&action=edit&preview=yes&summary=*/Resources/Main*/

Whereas when you edit Texas unique section this is your URL:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?title=Texas/Test/Resources/Main&action=edit&preview=yes&summary=*/Resources/Main*/

It appears to have the "/test/resources" for Texas, but doesn't do the same for Michigan.

What did I miss?
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Fredo-p » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:44 am

SkiDooGuy wrote:Starting with the questions. :)

When I go to create a "Unique Portion" for MI it doesn't seem to be editing to the correct page.

I created the new page under: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Michigan/test

However when I edit the Unique Portion this is my URL:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?title=Michigan/Resources/Main&action=edit&preview=yes&summary=*/Resources/Main*/

Whereas when you edit Texas unique section this is your URL:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?title=Texas/Test/Resources/Main&action=edit&preview=yes&summary=*/Resources/Main*/

It appears to have the "/test/resources" for Texas, but doesn't do the same for Michigan.

What did I miss?

Question, did the page Michagan/Resources already exits?
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby sketch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:47 am

Maybe "Test" needs to be capitalized? Just starting with the basics...
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SkiDooGuy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:48 am

Not that I am aware of. I just tried: Michigan/resources and /Resources and nothing popped up.

From what I know, there was only the main Michigan page. No sub-pages.
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Fredo-p » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:49 am

From what I have experienced, yes it does. I think the page links are case sensitive, so a lowercase and uppercase would result into two different pages.
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion