Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Post by DwarfLord
Incorrect edits affect all of us, but there doesn't seem to be a wiki dedicated to the most common mistakes and the "official" approach to responding to them. I've often wished for one. When I encounter these issues I would like simply to PM a link to the editor in question and then get to work.

A good wiki would list the most common mistakes, explain why a response was necessary, and describe what that response should be. It would support the novice editor with helpful information, encourage better editing, and hopefully leave him or her feeling positive. At the same time it would alleviate the advancing editor from having to explain the same things again and again.

So, here is my attempt at this wiki. It is missing correct imagery and links to appropriate wikis but all the text and basic formatting is there.

(Draft link redacted now that the official page is live.)

I'd welcome any big comments or concerns! Especially if this is thought to duplicate some existing reference I want to catch that before I put any more work into it. Also welcome are thoughts on the wiki title and where it should fit in the wiki tree.

Small things might best be postponed. If this wiki is deemed appropriate, let's get it into an official location and then open it up for anyone to improve :)

I hope it proves useful!

[Edit: if you like the idea of this wiki and its general approach, please also feel welcome to say so, or just to use the "thank" button, so I have some idea if it's worth further effort :D ]
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

POSTER_ID:16850907

Send a message
Last edited by DwarfLord on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by CBenson
I agree with your perspective from a technical perspective. The parallel road problems might be slightly overstated, but who outside of Ra'anana really knows. There are some pros regarding walking trails as landmarks, but I don't think they outweigh the cons. It seems to me (based only on inferences from scant information) that the behavior of walking trails is based on the idea that there should be a way to provide for destinations that are not on a driveable street. Thus, walking trails that have associated house numbers or that appear to be servicing a place may well be on the map for a reason.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
My preference in order from most prefer to least prefer is 3, 2, 1, 4.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by chucksways
I'm sure someone is already on this, but the Edits to avoid (USA) parking lot area section needs to be updated slightly to align with the latest guidance to map all lots.
chucksways
Send a message

Post by ct13
I am opposed to telling novice editors to use the validator script. I believe that an new editors should be taught to pick out incorrect edits on their own based on their knowledge of their streets rather than a script telling them that something may be wrong. I think of it like learning to multiply or divide before using a calculator. People use a calculator to save time, but they need to know the context and mechanics behind how the calculator is coming up with that answer, so they can understand it.

While the validator report gives a good idea of what is wrong with the segment and goes more in-depth with a link to a wiki page or the forum, I suspect that many people never run the report to see these links. I guess I would be somewhat assuaged if validator didn't highlight in WME for L1s and instead required them to run a report to find errors. However, as a whole I am opposed to novice editors being told to download scripts. I believe we have a solid mentoring group and I think that we should start to use it more(maybe a group class?) rather than offloading our teaching to these scripts.
ct13
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by cybernixon
I'm a fan of this article. It'll be helpful to refer to myself and when mentoring other new editors (I'm a new editor, too).

DwarfLord wrote:I've removed the placeholder images and begun the process of adding real "before" and "after" examples, which will probably take some time. It is also missing many appropriate reference links to other wikis.
This may fall under the before/after images you're working on, but could we make sure to label images as either good or poor examples?

In particular, I was reviewing Misuse of the Parking-Lot Area Place[1] and looked at the image. The image is currently captioned "Use of the Parking-Lot Area Place."
Ideally, this caption could be "Poor Use of the Parking-Lot Area Place" to give the reader a clear assessment of the content of the image.

[1]: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ed ... Area_Place
cybernixon
Send a message

Post by dfortney
DwarfLord, this has become my favorite wiki page, and the go-to page for referring (mostly novice) editors.

Suggestion: Add a section on two-segment loops -- the section from junction style guide would be appropriate here as well https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Sty ... ment_loops

I thought about one-segment loops, and don't think it really belongs in an "edits to avoid" page, as it is not easy (if it's possible at all) to add one-segment loops.

Thanks!
dfortney
Send a message

Post by dude463
Dragging up an old topic can I suggest that you emphasize that you shouldn't delete segments? I'd think going around deleting segments would be worse than being unreachable. Maybe the second most. But deleting segments isn't even touched on, yet if you monitor chat and a newb pops up with a request to delete something it's really discouraged. Like a lot.
dude463
Send a message
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.

Post by dude463
I have witnessed the routing problems when an editor traced entire drives as one segment over existing segments. The angles were clean and there weren't any extra geometry nodes so I don't believe they were paving. It was a pain in the butt to find them all since the segments that were already there masked them (validator and toolbox certainly came to the rescue). A UR alerted me to the first one.
dude463
Send a message
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.

Post by dude463
@DwarfLord todays WME makes it difficult to place HNs on the wrong side of a divided street if both sides are named properly. At least from what I've seen, they snap to the closest segment, even if the segment isn't connected to the segment that you started the HN dialog with. Don't know when it changed, but it's different than when I started.
dude463
Send a message