Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by orbitc
Fredo-p wrote:I think I asked about this earlier. I wanted to know if this page and title was a US specific thing or if it would apply to world.

If it's US, then the page needs to be placed in the USA subpage and the forum signature section needs to identify this.
We need to ask this to Waze as well. I'm sure Canada might want to use it. They might or might not use the same badge
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Fredo-p wrote:
orbitc wrote:
Fredo-p wrote:We need to ask this to Waze as well. I'm sure Canada might want to use it. They might or might not use the same badge
If Canada will, or there is potential for another country to use this title, then it's safe to assume that the page will need to be non-country/generic as possible. This would mean that any US specific information would need its own sub-page.

Once we know what other countries will or are interested in using this, then the construction should be much, much easier.
let me find out first...
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
I just wanted to post this here as well to make sure we are all on same page:
SM is State Manager who manages state and deals with the issues related to map, editors and more as I break it down here. SMs are editors first who actively edit but have great community role. SMs are NOT coordinating editors by giving area or increasing editing rank or blocking editors etc. Calling it to SC will cause bigger confusion with the RCs. We might have SMs that might cover 2 states, then what?
Let's keep SM role as implemented and educate those few who got confuse.

Based on the AM sheet we didn't have any editors with all state editing rights until very recently. I started to give larger AM areas and/or the whole state unofficially. Those who edited in the whole state showed great community involvement that inspired SM role. SM is a brand new role. Nothing to do with AM or RC or anything else. SM is an editing role first and does a lot of things that related to editing and help RCs.

An area manager can get big area or even bigger area but they can still be an area manager. Just because they get an area or the whole state should not grant them SM position automatically. Almost all editors in RI could get the entire state of RI. That doesn't make them SM. SM is editing and community role. They are actually editing and dealing with issues that related to editing and editor. Unless you are granted the SM badge (which we're still waiting for Waze) you are not to put that in your signature. You are still an area manager even if you are editing as large as a state. If you like to take on the duties of SM role that posted here then you need ask your Champ/RC or RC will recognize it and offer that to you.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
orbitc wrote:
Fredo-p wrote:I think I asked about this earlier. I wanted to know if this page and title was a US specific thing or if it would apply to world.

If it's US, then the page needs to be placed in the USA subpage and the forum signature section needs to identify this.
We need to ask this to Waze as well. I'm sure Canada might want to use it. They might or might not use the same badge
Noam will mention SM in his by-weekly newsletter.
I'll talk about it (SM) in the general forums too. If other counties like to use it, then we can proceed accordingly. I have a feeling others would like to use it.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
kentsmith9 wrote:
orbitc wrote:I think, it should be required.
Make it so... :mrgreen:
OK. I made a change. Please take a look at it.
viewtopic.php?f=645&t=101453

Edit:
This is an earlier post for the above
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
That chart is wrong in many levels and does NOT represent the structure at all.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Fredo-p wrote:So what is the status on finalizing the details of the US SM and the SM wiki page? Is it still in a discussion period with Waze?

Also, if an SM registry is to be made, here is the list of all the known/registered SMs in the US.
State Manager USA

Waze added State Manager (SM) as an official role.
Waze said:
"we want to add it as an editing role - someone who gets editing rights for a polygon, in this case a whole state and let the community decide on his community role, as you defined it"
It's a role that will be approved by the community. It'll have to be someone who's active in the community.

Sorry for the coded Klingon message before :)
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Fredo-p wrote:Awesome. In regards to making a roster of all current SMs, is it safe to assume the US State Manager group is an accurate list?
Yes.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
no1uknow wrote:Is there going to be an application form or another way to apply?
No.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Fredo-p wrote:
no1uknow wrote:Is there going to be an application form or another way to apply?
I could have sworn it was stated that an editor would request their area Champ. But it seems it does not say in detail how an individual would request to become one. Only that they would need endorsement from a Champ/CM to the RC.

Good catch.

I don't think it should be set by application but by having Champs/CMs discuss with a potential editor that they would like to nominate them as an SM. Then inform the nominee of anything that they would need to improve in order to the nominee to be accepted as an SM. This would further enhance the relationship between Champs/CMs and potential editors.
As long as you are active, involved in community and good editor your RC or champ recognize your hard work and offer you the position.. You can always send PM to your RC as well.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!