Voice Commands reference

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Voice Commands reference

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:34 am

q326nn wrote:The phone must be in the portrait position for the wave and tap to work. If the phone is positioned landscape, it will not start the voice commands. I am using an iPhone 5S.

This is correct. It is an iOS limitation: it disables the proximity sensor when the phone is in landscape mode.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby RenoHuskerDu » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:06 am

Waze voice commands only seems to speak the French language while in France. As soon as you touch three fingers, it starts saying something in French. This is quite unfortunate, as not everyone in France speaks French. France is in the middle of Europe and many drive thru it on the way to somewhere else.

Voice Commands needs a set language option, but so far I have not found it.

A simpler option would be to have Voice Commands pickup the language that the user has set for Guidance.
Alsace, France. Wiko, OnePlus One, and Motorola phones. Our Wiko phones have very poor GPS. To run Waze, avoid Wiko phones.
RenoHuskerDu

Postby ozrider » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:46 pm

there have been countless reports of voice commands not working and its hasnt been resolved in the latest update. They really should address this as its dangerous to have to report things by tapping instead of being able to use voice commands!
ozrider

Postby MrSugi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:57 pm

ozrider wrote:there have been countless reports of voice commands not working and its hasnt been resolved in the latest update. They really should address this as its dangerous to have to report things by tapping instead of being able to use voice commands!

Agreed. The more I can keep my eyes on the road instead of trying to report an issue, the better.
MrSugi

Postby JasonN899 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:11 am

Thanks! This will really help!!
Image ImageImage

Area Manager - Central Maryland
Waze App Beta Tester
Map Raider
Perry Hall, Maryland
JasonN899
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby BarkyWoofWoof » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:16 am

I'm in the land down under, and having tried multiple voice inflections and my best attempt at an American accent, I have had almost zero success with getting voice recognition to pick up on "pot hole".
I've tried pot hole, POT HOLE, po-thole, pottle, pot-hell, and it just does not want to get it.
I've given up trying to report potholes unless I'm stationary and I can press through the prompts on the screen.
BarkyWoofWoof

Postby Zm0gis » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:08 am

Would like to use voice commands, like others said - it's safer. But i'm from Lithuania, and somehow, voice commands appears in russian language (wtf). This auto selection is crappy atm. At least give us manual pick. So we can choose which language we can hear, at least give a default - english for everyone in Europe. Like Waze says - stay safe, voice commands is the thing which makes driving safer. Imagine driving on icy road at night. And reporting about object on the road, without letting your steering wheel away. It could save your life and others too. We need it, please.

Regards,
Country Manager of Lithuania Image
Zm0gis

Postby WillyR007 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:25 pm

I would like to tell you something I discovered when I started using Waze. I think it maybe applies to all countries except US. That's why I post it in this forum.

In the beginning, voice commands didn't work, Waze only recognized "Casa" or "Trabajo" (for Home or Work).

After a lot of trying I discovered the reason. Outside US, Google Now suggests you to have multilanguage option selected, to be able to activate 'Ok, Google' in all the screens. So did I by selecting US English as main language and Spanish language as second language. In some way, selecting several languages there makes Waze voice commands not working.

The way to solve it is selecting only one language for Google Now, and it has to match the language it is selected in Waze (I have checked this also). I have Spanish, and only Spanish, as my language in Google Now, and the same in Waze. This way, voice commands work perfectly in my Android phone.
WillyR007

Postby ooMikeoo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:01 pm

I've never gotten Waze to recognize a single voice command, wondering why it's even part of the app? Siri understands me just fine, maybe Siri should be passing voice commands to the app since it seems to work very well.
ooMikeoo

Postby sketch » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:59 pm

ooMikeoo wrote:I've never gotten Waze to recognize a single voice command, wondering why it's even part of the app? Siri understands me just fine, maybe Siri should be passing voice commands to the app since it seems to work very well.

I don't think Siri supports third-party apps.

Do you use Bluetooth in your car? There has been a bug for the last few months where Waze voice commands does not work over a Bluetooth connection. The voice reporting has never worked particularly well, but voice search works quite well in my experience (provided that you are not using Bluetooth).
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App