Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Kobes1878
Thank you for the clear and concise clarification.
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
[img]https:///P87dIo[/img][img]https:///nVuW1N[/img]
State Manager: NJ | Country Manager: USA

Post by Kobes1878
sketch wrote:
txemt wrote:What about those which are in between 3 major roads? Where does the address point go? Or those between n/s bound lanes or e/w bound lanes? I'm not at the computer now, but I can provide examples of all 3 of these.
If it's between different roads, it should have at least one PLR through the forecourt. That's where the stop point goes.
jondrush wrote:3 Majors is the same as two. Average the location of the stop point over the pumps.
To that point, on this particular station located between State and County routes, I have the target placed directly above the pumps which happen to be closer to the SR and what would be deemed the main entrance. Would you concur with that placement or prefer to see it more equally averaged on the PLR?
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
[img]https:///P87dIo[/img][img]https:///nVuW1N[/img]
State Manager: NJ | Country Manager: USA

Post by PhantomSoul
In New Jersey (at least) gas vendors have been given the option of charging a higher price for credit-card-based purchases, for a variety of reasons. Since the Waze Gas Prices system doesn't account for this, it's not very useful to those of us who prefer to use our gas-reward credit cards.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
You're totally right. That's why all of these things come together to make the gas price feature largely useless to me.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
You really need to be able to select which price/fuel grade you're looking for, and have meaningful data to present, in order for any gas price finder system to work.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
GasBuddy used to be positively fascist about reporting only credit prices. I think so many people complained, that they decided to make the policy "prefer reports of cash price unless not offered."
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by sketch
In my opinion, we should be smart about using parking lot roads with gas stations. Parking lot roads are useful for any station which sits on a corner and which is accessible from both streets, especially where both streets are thoroughfares and where access to one entrance from the other thoroughfare is difficult.

Two examples from the same intersection:

This Chevron within the "median" of W Esplanade Ave at its intersection with Causeway Blvd, on the east side. The station is accessible from both roads. Without a parking lot road, the stop point will be closer to either Causeway or W Esplanade, not both.

If it's closer to Causeway, traffic from W Esplanade would be instructed either to continue past Causeway to Severn, to turn left on Causeway and make a U turn somewhere down the line, or something else.

If it's closer to W Esplanade, traffic from Causeway would be instructed to take 12th to Ridgelake, or to pass the station and make a few rights on 9th, Ridgelake, and so forth...

With a parking lot road, it takes you to the right place either way.

For the nearby Exxon, the story isn't so bad, as reasonable-enough instructions would be available as long as the stop point is placed on Causeway. But still, the instructions are more correct if they just tell you to turn into the Exxon.

I'm not saying map every single entrance; one PLR connected to each enterable side is fine.

The rest of your content is great as far as I'm concerned.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
txemt wrote:What about those which are in between 3 major roads? Where does the address point go? Or those between n/s bound lanes or e/w bound lanes? I'm not at the computer now, but I can provide examples of all 3 of these.
If it's between different roads, it should have at least one PLR through the forecourt. That's where the stop point goes.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
tonestertm wrote:
jondrush wrote:It is absolutely related to stop point. I've tested it on stations that didn't update when I was in the station. I got on WME and move the stop point and was instantly able to update the prices.
In that case, I'd humbly submit that it has more to do with touching the stop point than its location. I have, since long before Places, and ever since, regularly gotten Price Update-ability from over a tenth of a mile away at several locations I occasionally update prices on. Couldn't say for sure whether this was before touching the stop point or not, but a move of about 20-30 feet couldn't possibly change the usable range over that distance. I'll have to see if there are any around I can test on.
When Places was invented or whatever, the stop points for gas stations were universally, it seems, located at the location of the imported 3rd-party gas station data. Sometimes the imports were pretty far out of the way. Before Places, that point was not editable; for that reason, before Places, it was often impossible to update gas prices at some stations because the imported point was so far off. Moving the landmark didn't move the point. Now we can move the point, so we can move the reporting point as well.

It's possible that the stop points in some of the worst cases were brought in somewhat as sort of a sanity check, but I've definitely seen a number of them that are somewhat off, sometimes on the wrong side of the street and so on, because that's where the original small-square landmark was located.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I don't believe so. I don't think Waze wants to put (m)any more resources into the gas prices system, because apparently not that many people use it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message