Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Best Practice for seasonal roads

Post by SamuelBourget
In the NWT there are a fair number of seasonal roads. These are only open during the winter and provide either sole access or alternate access to some towns.
You can see one here: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 447&zoom=1
The Dettah Ice Road.
I've placed restrictions on it which work, routing to Dettah is going by Hwy 4 right now. And during the winter the routing should come over the ice road. The question I have is: Are restrictions the best way to do this? Or should I be putting in road closure requests each year instead? Or disconnecting the road during the off-season? There are a large number of these road and it could get tedious to have to be putting in forms every year or disconnect and re-connect the roads each year.

Thanks,
Sam
SamuelBourget

POSTER_ID:16964473

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Restrictions are ideal. Especially with ice roads when it should be pretty obvious (i.e. they're water) when they're closed.

You may want to put something into the form for the first month of closure... but we can also copy and paste those to subsequent years.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by hmarian
You can add numerous restrictions a few years into the future, if those are set dates.
If this is based on outdoor temperature then you would need to follow news and remember to manually change those.
Maybe you can add a list of all the NWT Ice Roads to the local forum and this way you and other editor in the area could follow up on the list and making sure nothing is missed or duplicated.
I hope we have Wazers in this area.

HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by SamuelBourget
The ice roads are open based on temperatures. For simplicity I used dates that are within the historical time lines. Basically without doing any edits there will likely be a couple weeks when the ice road is open but Waze thinks it is closed.

The information is found on the DOT website here: http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages/wp ... sonly.aspx

There are 18 DOT maintained ice roads, not to mention the ones that are made by private companies and individuals.
SamuelBourget
Send a message