This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Post by miked_64
vectorspace wrote: My dad passed away on 31 July.
My condolences on you loss.
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///mAisJ[/img]https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
AM for SW Michigan

Post by muchomac
Replying using the iPhone taptalk app, can't find the PM option.

muchomac here.

I have been editing in the Puerto Rico area for about a year now. It has not been easy. I do have a business to run and three girls to raise, so it is hard for me to find time. It gets more frustrating when you have your area working properly and a Level 1 user makes a lot of changes overnight which breaks a lot of routes. Then I find myself re-editing areas.
We used to have people write messages on parking lots using streets, if they needed to bug the heck of others.
People are even marking all new security cameras on traffic lights posts as speed cameras, annoying to have them marked all over, they are just plain security cameras.

Anyway, I do love editing maps, but I might not be able to help out as often as I should.

Let me know if this is acceptable. :)

I just requested on another forum to enable the Avoid toll road feature for Puerto Rico. I travelled to CA last week and enabled it on my client. Now that I am back, WAZE keeps rerouting me through longer routes. And I can't turn it OFF!

From what I have seen, almost all toll roads have been marked.
muchomac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by muchomac
Sorry for your loss vs. I just went through the same pain a few months ago. My mother is at a care home, with final stages of Alzheimer's. My father was the one taking care of things for her. His heart could not take it anymore.
We have to be grateful for their time with us.
muchomac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by muchomac
Mauricio, if you see a turn-left lane on the intersection it is possible that the U-turn is allowed. But not in all cases. A sign might be posted telling you otherwise.
In Ponce, most streets are narrow and it might be best practice to not allow u-turns.

I do travel to Ponce on a weekly basis. My main client is located in the historic section. PM if you have any questions about the area. They do have a lot of one way streets on the central part of town.
muchomac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by muchomac
Asegúrate de que estés en el mapa de EEUU y no el mundial. Lo puedes ver arriba a la derecha cuando entras al website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muchomac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by orbitc
vectorspace wrote:Hi everyone.

Sorry for setting up the party then disappearing for so long. Hope everything is going well with the project. I am going to start catching up but am still working big family emergency issues and catching up from the ramifications of everything.

Quick story is that had some big stuff happen in May. In June got Bells Palsy, which is now cleared up--thought I was having a stroke. At end of July my dad got sick in Florida, got there the next day, but he died a week later. He was taking care of my mom, who has dementia, so had to start finding her care. Was in Florida for three weeks working on her stuff and the estate. Drove back home, 1800 miles, in two days with her. A week later my son got thrown from a horse in the mountains of NM and was airlifted via helicopter to a trauma center. Concussion, but he is doing better. Missed about 6 weeks of work for all that, so catching up with that. Starting to dig out and should start poking my head back in Wazeland now and then, but still busy with the mess.

I cant wait to see how the PR Project is coming along!
Hi Mike,
I guess, when it rains, it pours. I cannot image how did you manage all those things you mentioned. It's certainly a difficult last few months. Please continue to stay strong. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. My thoughts and prays with you and hope that everything goes back to normal as much as they can. Thanks for setting up the project. I'm sure people in PR appreciated as much as we do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by sketch
A few standards have to be established before we start editing in earnest. In my initial poking around San Juan, it seems very few abbreviations are used on the map as is, so it may be best just to spell out "Avenida", "Calle", etc.

One of my priorities is to get freeways and other highways in top shape. Not that the rest isn't important, but this is something I can do well and quickly. Uniformity builds confidence and trust in a system like Waze.

Highway names:
"PR-2" – two-way road
"PR-22 (E)" - divided highway

(N) (S) (E) (O) (NE) (NO) (SE) (SO) seems to be the standard among most LATAM countries for compass directions (norte, sur, este, oeste, noreste, noroeste, sureste, suroeste).

Numbered exits: "Salida 10: PR-5 / Bayamon"
Unnumbered exits: "Salida a PR-5 / Bayamon"

I am unsure what to do about entrance ramps – simply because I don't know of a word that will be skipped by TTS in the same way that "to" is in US English.

"PR-22 (E) > San Juan" works for entrance ramps when there is a known control city. This says "PR-22 este, dirección San Juan", in other words, "PR-22 east, toward San Juan". If we can get a list of control cities, we can use those in some cases. I suppose in the absence of a control city we can just leave the ramps unnamed, although this is not in line with US practice.

Anyway, everyone be on the lookout for maps, information, and GIS sources we can use.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by SkiDooGuy
Lexrav wrote:Hi everyone!

I've been on Waze for about a year now and doing some editing too.
I saw this post today and I'm definitely interested in helping in any way I can.
I've been in PR for 15 years so I'm very familiar with many areas and I have some spare time too.

I know there's much more to learn about editing and I'm up to it!
Defiantly shoot a PM to orbitc, local knowledge is always welcome!
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by SkiDooGuy
Take as long as you need Mike. That is a lot to take in a year.

Hope things start to turn a positive direction for you.

-Bruce
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png