Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by qwaletee
Side note: There are no stats on the number of people who have upgraded and the number who have not. Anecdotally, a lot of people are complaining about the update, and I know a bunch of people IRL who have not updated from 3.7.x. It is also well known in the app world that there is a fairly long update cycle before you can retire support for older versions.

Given that, 3.8.0 may very well not fix anything for a large segment of the Waze driver base.

Now, back to the nain topic at hand... this doesn't solve for the other use cases I mentioned.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by sketch
I can't believe the wiki doesn't already say not to name PLRs. Now that TTS / nav instruction display handles them properly (AT LAST), there's even less reason to name them.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
I like that naming principles thing, I think it's pretty good. I'd unbold that "and", and there are a couple things I'd reword slightly – I'd make it clear that a primary use for alt names is for signed highway designations, for concurrent routes, numbered highways with local names, or both, for example.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Named PLRs also creates a search problem. Naming a PLR "Chevron" means you get two results for the same Chevron, one for the road and one for the area place.

Any post I made in the previous discussion in support of naming PLRs (because I used to at large shopping centers etc.) is moot since 3.8.0 when Waze fixed unnamed-road TTS instructions.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:Side note: There are no stats on the number of people who have upgraded and the number who have not. Anecdotally, a lot of people are complaining about the update, and I know a bunch of people IRL who have not updated from 3.7.x. It is also well known in the app world that there is a fairly long update cycle before you can retire support for older versions.
Not so – I'm not sure where exactly, or to what extent, this information was made available, so I can't point you to it, but 3.8 had a significantly faster take rate than 3.7.8 did when it was first released.

Certainly, it's not wise to remove support for old versions immediately after the release of a new version. But that doesn't mean we should be creating new rules to make old versions work better, at the expense of the new version's handling of the map. Especially because we've had this rule for years now, so users who are on/still on the old versions will be used to that behavior, and new users will never have to experience it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message