[Script] WME Junction Node Fixer v0.2.1 2017-08-16

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Junction Node Fixer v0.0.9.0 2014-08-18

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:48 pm

The request to not mess with the dead-end Uturns was given to the Waze champs in the Champs forum.

That being said, I think it's a ridiculous request and we've more than shown that enabled dead-end Uturns cause major routing problems and the developers have yet to fix the problem. The problems with enabled dead-end Uturns are far worse than the problems with them disabled (which I've never been able to duplicate).

But yes, Waze has made this request and we're expected to honor it and just hope an pray that they fix the problem on their end before everyone deletes the app and moves on to something else.
jasonh300

Postby bgodette » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:08 pm

doctorkb wrote:I'm sorry... but your "because I said so" doesn't hold much water -- unless you can reference some thread that has extensive testing and/or a semi-public (e.g. GC forum) or public request from staff, I'm sticking to my guns.
It's your choice to leave users in your area with broken routing. Your argument against is "because I said so" and I'm saying "logically it must be, however there was once an issue which is now fixed, and Waze directly said they should be turned on because the issue is fixed". But that's ok because no one is forcing you to use this.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:18 pm

doctorkb wrote:
request of Waze staff
A source citation would be appreciated. I've not seen this request in my travels.
You have access to read it, surprised you haven't.

doctorkb wrote:... then with the use of JNF (clicking on the endnode, then hitting 'q'), ... Unless you actually selected the end node, JNF did nothing to them, in my experience -- which sounds to be a change in behaviour now.
JNF would only update the u-turn on the dead end if both nodes were visible in the map view, to specifically avoid the situation where a segment appears to be a dead end because the other end is outside your bounding box. That's still the case.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 pm

request of Waze staff

A source citation would be appreciated. I've not seen this request in my travels.

I've been disabling these u-turns manually, then with the use of JNF (clicking on the endnode, then hitting 'q'), then finally with the use of Toolbox. Unless you actually selected the end node, JNF did nothing to them, in my experience -- which sounds to be a change in behaviour now.

I'm sorry... but your "because I said so" doesn't hold much water -- unless you can reference some thread that has extensive testing and/or a semi-public (e.g. GC forum) or public request from staff, I'm sticking to my guns.
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby bgodette » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:47 pm

doctorkb wrote:As a third option, you could just remove the functionality, as it's clearly a problem with some locales (not sure the UK's issue, but may be different)... and as you mention "simply wait until dead-end end nodes are removed from the model and are treated as always enabled by routing".
Since this change is specifically by request of Waze staff I think it's up to you to come up with a convincing argument against which is something other than "but that's what we've always done because old JNF did it that way before I even knew there was an issue with dead ends."

Long ago before JNF was public it used to enable dead-end u-turns simply because you logically must be able to. After some time this revealed a problem with routing and a resulting change in policy because of the bad routing. That change also caused a different routing failure that we *still* have, but was agreed was acceptable given the alternative. With the original issue now resolved the current policy, which was the original policy, is back and works for *both* routing edge cases.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Of course, a reference to the "Waze claims it isn't and testing confirms that it isn't" may also be suitable to have us revise our practice and documentation...

Until then, this new version of JNF is not approved for use in Canada, as it is not in agreement with our local documentation. The previous version still works fine and is approved for use.
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:00 pm

As a third option, you could just remove the functionality, as it's clearly a problem with some locales (not sure the UK's issue, but may be different)... and as you mention "simply wait until dead-end end nodes are removed from the model and are treated as always enabled by routing".
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby bgodette » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:57 pm

That'd be great and all IF it were still a problem, which Waze claims it isn't and testing confirms that it isn't. The wiki is now out of date with reality and needs to be updated. This in regards to dead-ends only and the selfcon on the end node.

Alternatively you can ignore that it does this and simply wait until dead-end end nodes are removed from the model and are treated as always enabled by routing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:19 pm

*shrug* - our standard has been to disable all u-turns, since none of them were enabled correctly to start with.

Having a tool that automatically "fixes" these against the published standard (yes, our wiki page says: "restrict all u-turns in Canada unless there is a sign outright permitting them") is not cool.
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby CBenson » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:16 pm

But that's the same situation as the US.
CBenson

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts