Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

External Links Copyright Discussion

Post by
:(
But why google?? And Waze livemap? At least put livemap back... it was very useful.

Post by arturoae
It's a shame. Not possible. We are from Google or at least one of their subsidiaries and we can not use their maps??!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
arturoae
Coordinators
Coordinators

Post by CastroBR
Oh noes! That was the most useful thing on the toolbox.
CastroBR
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2

Post by CastroBR
Olestas wrote:
Pizuz wrote: You can click the Livemap link in the top menu bar which brings you to the current location on the livemap.
Thanks, did not know this :roll:

But still, waze uses satellites, addresses and places from google maps and mapmaker. Why are these not allowed?
They are about to release a new editor with integrated Google maps adding automatically house numbers, etc. I suppose they want the feature to be somehow exclusive?
CastroBR
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2

Post by CBenson
PesachZ wrote:To do so they will, as they have already done in the past, revert the map of that entire area (possibly even the entire country) back to the basemap import.
If further emphasis is needed see here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I'll go on record again as saying that I do not think that looking or referencing Google Maps to get the name of a street is a copyright violation. Even if it were, providing a link to Google Maps is not looking at Google Maps to get the name of a street.

However, I do understand that it only takes one significant jurisdiction where this argument could be nonfrivolously raised for waze to want to avoid the issue. Waze is a data creator and provider, thus will naturally advocate for more restrictive copyright/data protection laws. They don't want to defend themselves by arguing that any kind of copying is allowed; they will only want to defend themselves by saying they don't copy anyone else's work in any manner whatsoever.
SuperDave1426 wrote:How is a link button to bring up Google Maps view in another tab violating anything WRT Google Maps?
Well again I don't think the link button rises to the level of copying, but waze is going to stay far away from the line of what is prohibited to reduce the risk that anyone will accuse it of encouraging editors to cross the line. However, there is plenty of information on Google maps that is not the satellite or SV imagery available in WME. I don't know how Google structures its agreements with its data providers, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if creating new commercial databases is not permitted under some of those agreements.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Post by CBenson
SuperDave1426 wrote:While they can copyright the presentation of that public information, they cannot copyright the public information itself. If they could, nobody would ever be able to record a new presentation of any of Bach's symphonies as long as there's a current recording of it that's copyrighted.
No that's not correct. What allows the second recording is that copyright infringement requires copying. So if you have never heard a prior recording to the Bach symphony and you then record it, you cannot be copying the prior recording.
SuperDave1426 wrote:Doing a visual check (with your eyes) to confirm a publicly-available street name and then making a change elsewhere manually isn't the same thing as an actual copy would be.
What makes you so sure? If you do that from a protected data compilation in a jurisdiction with a broad sweat of the brow doctrine why would it not be a violation.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Post by CastroBR
I lot of talk about Google but the ones i used the most where Mapquest and OpenStreetMaps which were better updated (at least in Sweden), and i guess they could sue Waze. Damn! But then again, aren't them "open source"?

One thing is for sure, without this tool I have a feeling that my mapping days are going to end soon.
CastroBR
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2

Post by Bigworm23
The most irritating part is working in rural areas (which is most of what I do). Sometimes different map sources conflict and it was easy to confirm the correct road name by opening several at a time quickly. It will seriously slow down editing for me.
Bigworm23
Lafayette, TN
AM for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville & Great Smoky Mountains National Park
[img]https:///0NAfp[/img][img]https:///KbpqG[/img]https://blog.caes.uga.edu/sehp/files/20 ... -3line.png

Post by BenMimix
Hello,

I am trying to overcome the death of the Google map toolbox link, so I started to code a small javascript 'bookmarklet' ...

<Edited by author>

Regards,

Ben.
BenMimix
Country Manager
Country Manager
Last edited by BenMimix on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Caddy-321
jasonh300 wrote:
AdreNalinGuY wrote:CBenson, this is clearly not because of copyright. The removal of the live map link doesn't make no sense. There is something else in between but we will never know what. They don't treat us respectfully for what we do for them, we don't have to know much. Do your job and shut up. At least this is how I feel.
The removal of the links to Google and Bing and other external sources is absolutely 100% about copyright. We've been warned not to use copyrighted sources for years. It's been in the Wiki for years. An entire country lost all its maps because of copyright infringement before and we don't want that to ever happen again.

As far as the Livemap link, I don't know. There's no reason for that to have been removed.
What has this to to with Copyright? It opens another Browser-Window with GoogleMaps or something else. The same as i open the window manually. I think i de-install the toolbox. Or better - quit the editing of waze-maps completely.
Caddy-321