Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by Fredo-p
Did anyone download the script? Maybe we could get that section of the script to manually enter the links back into the toolbar for those who want to use it.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by gamasi
Unbelievable :o :cry:

Why remove all the references to external maps???

What are the "legal reasons" ??
gamasi
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Masi

https://s.waze.tools/c5.png
SM | SP
CM | Brasil

Post by HavanaDay
While I agree with the sentiments posted recently above. I used the google map maker link for quick referencing when I actually did want to make a change to the google map. With that gone I am less likely inclined to do so. To translate that in to plain english I will not be fixing Google Map problems any more but referring said errors by reporters to fix it themselves.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by InactiveUser
Here's a bookmarklet to launch Google Map Maker using the current WME coordinates. Simply add as a bookmark in your browser.

== doctorkb removed bookmarklet -- violates spirit of Waze Staff request ==
InactiveUser
Send a message
Last edited by doctorkb on Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed bookmarklet that encouraged third-party map use

Post by jasonh300
elcitia wrote:...this is important to search any point place or street name quickly, and the other map will be reference for best result...
This is the very reason for those other sources being disallowed. Looking at Google Maps to get the name of the street could be construed as a copyright violation.

Google has allowed use of Streetview, as incorporated into the editor, as an allowable source, and we can get the names from street signs visible in Streetview if necessary. But Google Maps is not an allowed source, nor is Bing, Yahoo, or any other copyrighted source.

As far as Livemap and the Beta Editor links, I don't see any reason for those to be removed.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AdreNalinGuY wrote:CBenson, this is clearly not because of copyright. The removal of the live map link doesn't make no sense. There is something else in between but we will never know what. They don't treat us respectfully for what we do for them, we don't have to know much. Do your job and shut up. At least this is how I feel.
The removal of the links to Google and Bing and other external sources is absolutely 100% about copyright. We've been warned not to use copyrighted sources for years. It's been in the Wiki for years. An entire country lost all its maps because of copyright infringement before and we don't want that to ever happen again.

As far as the Livemap link, I don't know. There's no reason for that to have been removed.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
tgfathergoose wrote:For me, Google Maps provided a valuable resource not present in the Waze Map Editor: state boundaries. Maybe not so much in metropolitan areas that straddle state lines, but in rural areas, many roads have the wrong state. For example, there are roads in Texas over 150 miles from the New Mexico border that have the state listed as Texas. If I have a whole group of roads somewhere near a state border, Google Maps could tell me which were in which state. It's not too difficult when there's a road listed as being in Alabama when it's really in New Mexico, but we really need the state boundaries in the editor. I have suggested before that state boundaries be added in the WME, but this has not been done. I would NEVER just go with Google Maps for names; I'd go to the local governmental source, if at all possible. Yes, it takes some digging to find these GIS sites, but better to go with the governmental site than what Google may have picked up off some developer's plat.
You can use the GIS maps for your state for this, and probably get a better reference. You still wouldn't have a link to them, but you can keep the map open in another window and switch back and forth over a large area and follow the state line.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by KB_Steveo
ct13 wrote:You don't get to L4 without knowing that you shouldn't copy information from other maps. As a secondary option, maybe toolbox could have a permalink style button that spits out the GPS coordinates of your locations, so that you can paste it in whatever search box you like.
Calm down guys, it's not the end of the world
The GPS coordinates are embedded in the permalink.
If you think that toolbox is dead, you obviously haven't used the awesome roundabout tools it has. It's also way better than colour highlights at picking out enabled U-turns.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///nRpy81[/img]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator

Post by KB_Steveo
Permalink:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-88.15287&lat=44.31779&layers=901&zoom=6
go to GM, GMM, Bing, etc.
Search for: 44.31779,-88.15287 not hard, just remember to put latitude first.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///nRpy81[/img]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator

Post by kentsmith9
AdreNalinGuY wrote:
Today ToolBox has been killed.

R.I.P.

It will be missed.

Working great for me here.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message