Post by jondrush
We've been dumping EXIT on unnumbered exits. It just works better all around.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
:shock: There are a few exits in PA with no BGS. Just a small green sign that read EXIT.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by JustBobF
Someone on this thread said they would like to hear from some Californians. I am one.

My friends and I never use Exit numbers. I think the Federal government insisted the state add them to keep Federal highway dollars coming. In Santa Barbara the small exit sign right next to the gore now has numbers; but, we are most likely to miss them as the numbers are not on the large signs.

We drove in the Los Angeles/Pasadena area a couple of days ago and were surprised to see not one exit number on any sign, even the small ones at the gore.

In light of this, I have a suggestion:

Instead of saying, "Take exit 93, Carrillo Street…" why not say "Take Carrillo Street, Exit 95…" if you must say the exit number? In other words, put the exit number last, because it is the least important.

Just suggesting.
JustBobF
Send a message

Post by KB_Steveo
sketch wrote:The "Exit to Exit to Kindergarten Court" is new
Or may have been fabricated in my mind while fixating on the redundancy for years without saying anything.... and it was late when I wrote that ;)
sketch wrote:Some have been using "Exit: Kindergarten Ct" instead, because it's more similar to numbered exits. The redundancy is still there, and it's said like "Exit right to Exit. Kindergarten Court." or "Exit to Exit. Kindergarten Court." Still redundant, but also more awkward.
Agreed, I think this is worse since it has redundancy and akwardness.
sketch wrote:The problem with using one for left exits and another for right exits is that, in attempting to compensate for TTS inconsistency, you create a display inconsistency (where only some exits say "Exit" on screen and others don't). If we're not comfortable losing the "Exit" on unnumbered left exits, then we have to keep it on unnumbered right exits.
Yes, I just mentioned it to make sure it wasn't overlooked in the conversation.
sketch wrote:Hopefully, an upcoming feature will allow us to create an "exit left" command. When that happens, we should reevaluate this question.
Probably when "continue straight" gets activated? :lol:
sketch wrote:Before making any big decisions here, we should be sure to get some Californians in on the discussion. If I understand correctly, California still has a huge number of unnumbered exits, so their opinion is valuable.
Yeah, I remember seeing a bunch in the LA area the other month without numbers.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///nRpy81[/img]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator

Post by KB_Steveo
Also, Is there a reason for this
place the letter designator in single quotes with a lowercase letter (CR-'n' CR-'s' CR-'e' CR-'w')
Uppercase letters work just fine.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
I think we got a little off track. We were looking for the Californians' opinion on how unnumbered exits are handled before changing the wiki. i.e. changing from "Exit to Kindergarten Ct" to "to Kindergarten Ct".

IMO, If you have already taken the time to find what the exit number is supposed/going to be, I would definitely leave it. When I was last in the Orange County area, speaking as an out of state driver, even when the exit number was only at the gore, it definitely was nice to know that I was going the right way, particularly at/near some of the larger interchanges.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
kentsmith9 wrote:I disagree that we should remove exit numbers from the exits if the DOT has an exit number assigned, but the BGS has not yet posted it. I am constantly seeing new BGSs getting updated in the bay area that are now including the exit numbers. I personally spent months going through hundreds and hundreds of exits on the interstates in northern CA to add the numbered exit to the ramp name per CalTrans data. Some exits had the signs, and some did not yet (or it was knocked down or missing when the local image was taken).
Looks like the wiki already has your back on that one.
KB_Steveo wrote:Also, Is there a reason for this in the County Road section
place the letter designator in single quotes with a lowercase letter (CR-'n' CR-'s' CR-'e' CR-'w')
Uppercase letters work just fine.
Also change this while we're at it?
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
Another question:

If you have an exit where the local convention uses the street name when providing verbal exits, would it be OK to list the street first instead of last?
For example, no one in Green Bay would say to take the Highway 54 exit, we would just tell someone to take the Mason St exit.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
Fredo-p wrote:
KB_Steveo wrote:Another question:

If you have an exit where the local convention uses the street name when providing verbal exits, would it be OK to list the street first instead of last?
For example, no one in Green Bay would say to take the Highway 54 exit, we would just tell someone to take the Mason St exit.
Wow, I just checked out Mason and I didn't know it had double roundabouts. :shock: :shock:

Since Mason St is also contains, what I think is, County Route 32 and 54, the exit may have to include them. However, it seems that, by the design of the BGS, the main name of that road is Mason St. but is also known as 32 and 54. So I guess you could make the exit Mason St and ensure that the proper sections of Mason have alt names of the 32 and 54.

Am I correct?
They're State Highways, but yes. Moot point anyway based on sketch's reply.

WisDOT now has about a 5yr love affair with roundabouts. The entire US-41 corridor from south of Oshkosh to the north end of the Green Bay Metro area has been getting roundabouts along with the Interstate standard upgrades for when I-57 is extended from Chicago to GB (via Milwaukee). If you like Mason, check this one out - I have 2 more of these that were made by lvl1 editors to KISS.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
sketch wrote:https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_names/U ... n-ramps.29

I made sure all the rules were actually correct and in agreement with modern convention. This did involve a few minor changes. Past that, I made the well-agreed-to change that removed the "Exit" from the start of unnumbered exits.
If an exit is signed and unnumbered, name the exit ramp as such: "to SR-33 / Kindergarten Ct". In other words, start with the word "to" (lowercase) followed by all elements on the sign (shields and names), separated with slashes (" / "). red
not sure what was going on with the word 'red' here
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager