Newbie screwed the map!

Post by DiarmuidCogan
Hi guys, I've just spotted that a newbie royally screwed part of the map in my area. Major junction - flyover removed and grade-separated roundabout replaced with all-new segments connecting to flyover. Is it possible to ask for Waze to do a rollback on the edits or am I as well off just replacing what's been done and give the editor a telling off?
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:11101363

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

I suspect that introducing a lock policy now the map is becoming mature in area would be appropriate.

Motorways, once complete hardly change. Major national roads can change (new housing estates etc) but users popping a please unlock post can sort that so they should be locked too.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Curses ... unfortunately, as far as I know, they can only rollback an entire country at a time, so they almost never do it.

Hopefully it's not too much work, but the best thing is to fix it up by hand and yell at the editor. If necessary you could lock the junction too.

Is there any danger that the screwing was deliberate or malicious? If that's possible, we could look at getting them banned.

Do you need any help fixing up the damage?

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
DiarmuidCogan wrote:I have no idea whether it was deliberate or stupid misinterpretation of the imagery without care for the last edit dates and editor levels. A quick look around locally hasn't thrown up anything else obviously badly done. Can CMs check a list of an individuals edits?
I don't think there's any way to get a list of anybody's edits, although maybe Waze HQ have a way of doing this. However, I use the WME Colour Highlights editor extension, and this lets you highlight roads last edited by a particular editor. This could be handy in situations like the one you've just encountered, where you want to check for other edits in the same area by an editor - but it is limited to just showing you edits in one area at a time. I mostly use this extension to look out for all recent edits in the areas I pay attention to, just to see what's going on and to check for any editing mistakes.

Anyway, I guess it's possible that the newbie editor that messed up the map in your area didn't realise what they were doing or hadn't read all the editing guidelines. It's possible that they're keen to edit and just need some guidance to turn their editing energy into something useful. Have you heard back from them yet?
seriousarsonist wrote:Time to look at a lock policy? Or does the south have automatic locks?
We don't have a lock policy, but I've been thinking for a while that it's probably time to start talking about it.

I used to dislike locks except in extreme circumstances, but this was when I had a lower editing level and locks didn't have levels - they were always tied to the level of the editor who'd created them, and went up as that editor's own level went up. I found editing frustrating when I couldn't edit a lot of roads because they were locked for no obvious reason. For this reason I have been keeping as many roads unlocked as possible, and have only locked roads around complicated junctions that I don't want novice editors to edit at L3, and *very* complicated junctions that have taken me ages to get right at L5.

CTCNetwork has locked some mature motorways at L3, and I think L3 (or maybe even L4) would be appropriate for motorways that are complete. L3 locks for major highways might be appropriate too, but only where they are complete and all side roads are mapped and junctioned. I would prefer not to lock roads in areas where there is still lots of mapping to do, otherwise the roads that need to be mapped can't easily be junctioned by many editors.

I don't think the automatic locks are turned on down here, although when they were being developed, I did notice a couple of roads show up with automatic locks. That was a good while ago now...

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
DiarmuidCogan wrote:I definitely think it's time for a lock policy. I'm all for a L3 lock on mature N roads & motorways, even some city centre roads, and higher for complex junctions.
Let's try to discuss this with as many editors as possible; I'll start a new thread new and poke a few editors to join in.
DiarmuidCogan wrote:Automatic (1) is now active down here.
I *think* (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that "Automatic (1)" means the same as "1, but raise it automatically if automatic road levels are working"...

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi John,
dilallio wrote:I've just noticed that someone has removed 2 major junctions in Galway and inserted roundabouts.
Is there a way to search what other edits this person has done?
How annoying! (and worse: bad for Waze users). They should at least have looked at the GPS tracks, and, if they didn't have local knowledge, they should have asked the most-recent editor why the junction doesn't match the satellite images.

Anyway, there's no straightforward way of finding all their previous edits, but I use the WME Colour Highlights extension for highlighting various things; you can use it to highlight all road segments that were last edited by a particular user. (I often have it set to show all road segments edited by anybody in the last 3 days, so I can see what changes are being made in the areas I keep an eye on). This can only highlight road segments you can see in the editor window, so you have to manually pan around to search a wide area.
dilallio wrote:It looks like this user is assuming that if the maps do not agree with the aerial photo's, that the maps are out of date, and not the photos.
Is there a way to email or contact them? - As they are already a level 2 editor, I'm guessing that they are trying to update as much as possible to gain points.
Send them a PM on the forum. They may not respond (but in my opinion, all editors _should_ respond to PMs. Sadly, some don't bother...)

Their forum profile page may have a link to email them too, but only if they have that set up.

Finally, I assume you're going to reverse their edits. You might want to lock them at L3 or higher to stop this happening again. (I prefer to only lock things when absolutely necessary, but very complicated junctions or roads that are set up a certain way that isn't immediately obvious to other editors are good candidates for locking).

Speaking of locking, there's a thread from a few weeks ago here in the Ireland forum about a potential locking policy for Ireland. You might want to have a look and contribute your opinion.

Finally (again...) do you need any help fixing up these changes?

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
dilallio wrote:I've sent a helpful PM to the other user but they have no email address or forum posts, so hopefully they will get it.
You can tell whether they've read it or not by whether it stays in your outbox or not - it only moves from your outbox once it's been read.

I like to think the best of people, so I hope it was just a well-meaning but somewhat foolish new editor (although you mentioned they're a level 2 editor) - however what they did was pretty daft. I looked at the former roundabouts in Galway and I think I saw the changes they'd made - it was nearly a month ago! Mad... At least they don't seem to have made many other edits (although I did see a car park road added near another roundabout whose type was Street rather than parking lot road, so users could be routed via the car park past the roundabout.)

I also noted that these new roundabouts were of type Street, not major or minor highway - which means Waze will be less likely to route users via these roundabouts, even though they're supposed to be part of these major roads.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by DiarmuidCogan
Thanks David,

I've sorted it now. Upped the lock on the entire N40 to Level 3 as it's complete, accurate and an important enough route not to be messed with.

I have no idea whether it was deliberate or stupid misinterpretation of the imagery without care for the last edit dates and editor levels. A quick look around locally hasn't thrown up anything else obviously badly done. Can CMs check a list of an individuals edits?
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DiarmuidCogan
Fixed the erroneous edits (caused by an overenthusiastic adherence to suggestions by an extension) soon after but the screwy version went live in the meantime… I have gently berated the individual responsible :) I've locked the entire N route affected and some others in the area that are well mapped.

I definitely think it's time for a lock policy. I'm all for a L3 lock on mature N roads & motorways, even some city centre roads, and higher for complex junctions.

Automatic (1) is now active down here.
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dilallio
I've just noticed that someone has removed 2 major junctions in Galway and inserted roundabouts.
Is there a way to search what other edits this person has done?
Thanks,
John
dilallio
Send a message