Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Speaker Volume (Android 4.2.2)

Post by Agena1
Hi wazers,

just joined the community couple of days ago and I'm quite amazed by the quality of routing and avoiding traffic jams.

However, on my Android 4.2.2 device ("Archos 40 Titanium"), sound volume trough the built-in speakers is so low that I can hardly understand the piloting messages even at moderate speeds (meaning with low noise level in the car ...). While driving on motorways (~ 120-130 km/h), it's almost impossible to hear WAZE at all. And my car (VW Touran) is definitely not a very noisy one ...

Oh, by the way, volume settings for the phone speaker are to max, as well in the phones general settings as in WAZE. And YES, I have pressed the volume button to increase up to maximum whenever WAZE is outputting a piloting message.

Other phone sounds played through the built-in speaker are much louder than WAZE and clearly audible, so the problem source does not seem to be caused by the individual sound characteristics of my smartphone.

Further I've already tried a couple of volume boosting apps from Android Market, but non of them can provide sufficient volume enhancement (in fact, the effect of most of these apps is zero (no wonder, because tech info sources in Google Market say that since Android 4.2.0 a patching gap that allowed boosting has been closed due to EU legal requirements), only very few can give at least some little volume enhancement, but still far away from being sufficient).

Switching to bluetooth output might only become an option if WAZE would provide settings and technologies to send piloting messages to the car radio through HFP and if transmission to the car radio would be started and ended automatically (i.e. without having to "pick up a phone call" and/or manually end it).
A2Dp bluetooth output, however, is NOT an option because the car's built-in radio needs to be used (at just background volume level) for other info purposes.

Could anybody please provide info how to boost the app volume on the built-in phone speakers to a reasonable level? And the needed solution must not require to root the phone because I don't want to lose warranty. If there should not be any solution, I am afraid that in this state the WAZE app would practically be unusable :( ... what should I do with a car navigation app of which I can not hear the piloting messages ...

Many thanks in advance for your contribution and best regards

Gerald
Agena1

POSTER_ID:16854663

Send a message

Post by BigGreenEgger
Has this been fixed? Just came from Blackberry where this was loaded under OS 10.2.1 and now on my LG G3 (Android 4.2.2) I can also barely hear the Waze notifications through the phones speaker. I didn't have the issue on my Blackberry.
BigGreenEgger
Send a message

Post by BriarFan
I'm also using the app via a Samsung S5 and volume is almost non-existent. When I'm plugged into my audio system via Aux cable, the volume is fine.
BriarFan
Send a message

Post by catastrofee
Is there a solution to this issue? Frankly, the app is unusable for navigation as the voice prompt volume is too low. All my volume settings are at maximum, and I have reinstalled Waze several times.

At this point, I'm using Google Maps. Its plenty loud...

Motorola Droid Turbo.
catastrofee
Send a message

Post by elnad2000
Same problem here. It was not like that before. I will try tomorrow to try to raise the volume of everything in Android to see which one is used.
elnad2000
Send a message

Post by guillolb
I'm experiencing the same thing.

Phone: Moto X 2nd Gen. 4.4.4

Phone and App volumes are all the way up.
The phone connects to Bluetooth when I'm in my car, so the Navigation directions are set to the speaker.

Any message from the Waze App has a very low volume. I can barely hear it.

I think it started when I was setting up navigation to an address while in the office. Then the phone stared screaming directions and I immediately pressed the Volume Down button. After that, the volume never came back up, no matter what I try. The app is useless to me now if I can't hear it.
guillolb
Send a message

Post by icedfusion
I too have this exact same problem. LG G3 with Android 4.2.2 - the audio is so low I cannot hear the directions. However, the google maps directions volume is fine. I turned up all the volumes but waze just doesn't want to output a decent volume. Most frustrating!

ice.
icedfusion
Send a message

Post by incusGT3RS
I'm having the same problem on my G3. I can't hear if there's an accident or hazard on the road and the directions also. I did everything too just to hear the prompts and directions but no success..waze please help us have a fix on this problem. It's really helpful here in the philippines due to traffic congestion around metro manila.
incusGT3RS
Send a message

Post by julienberthier
Hi,

i've exactly the same problem on my phone (an acer liquid e2, android 4.2.2)...

Waze's sounds/alerts are too low to be listened, altrough mp3 or phone sounds play louder...
julienberthier
Send a message

Post by scmbgx
I have the same problem on my LG G2 - Android 4.2.2.

While streaming music on Spotify all the Waze sounds are too low.
scmbgx
Send a message