Norfolk Naval Ship Yard

Post by CBenson
It looks to me like the Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard need some attention. There is main gate that allows unfettered access and then at least six other gates with time restrictions. Some have private roads, some are parking lot roads and many are just streets with time restrictions. With the current setup there is nothing to stop routing through the main gate to another open gate. It also seems that private and parking lot roads will never be used with this set up.

I'm thinking it would be beneficial to set up the Ship Yard to fully comply with the private installation guidelines. The Ship Yard is closed to the public, correct? Does anyone have good information on when each gate is open to confirm the current restrictions?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by brandonrossl
Subbing for info/editing assistance but I have no information to add. I've has URs from time-to-time with useful users but otherwise it seems like making this accurate is a pipedream and just making it a private installation like you mentioned is a more realistic goal.
brandonrossl
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Tells you how much I get down there. Sorry to confuse the matter with the wrong name.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Sound great.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I have a couple of thoughts.

First, the problem with marking all of the entrance roads as private when some of the gates are split roads and some are not is that effectively only some of the exit roads are marked private. Thus waze will never exit the yard over the private road segments, but will rather use the non-private path through the two gates with the exit split from the entrance. This isn't a problem currently as the two way private segments are restricted to all vehicles all the time, so won't be used for routing anyway. But if you determine when some the gates should be used for the evening exit and allow exiting from the gates in the timed restrictions, then you either need to split all the gates or make these segments private as well.

Second, in a similiar vein, this segment is only connected to parking lot roads. Thus, waze won't route across the parking lot roads into or out of the rest of the yard. That may be fine if the gate is really only there to server that big parking lot. However, someone starting from the far side of the parking lot is going to be snapped to other roads. If the gate is only to serve that big parking lot I would add a parking lot road that rings the outside of the parking lot so that anyone starting waze in the parking lot will be snapped to that road. If the gate should serve the rest of the yard as well, I would make this segment a street segment.

Third, there are couple of other time restricted segments here. If you don't have WMECH, be aware its great for finding these.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by stephenr1966
CBenson wrote:It looks to me like the Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard need some attention. There is main gate that allows unfettered access and then at least six other gates with time restrictions. Some have private roads, some are parking lot roads and many are just streets with time restrictions. With the current setup there is nothing to stop routing through the main gate to another open gate. It also seems that private and parking lot roads will never be used with this set up.

I'm thinking it would be beneficial to set up the Ship Yard to fully comply with the private installation guidelines. The Ship Yard is closed to the public, correct? Does anyone have good information on when each gate is open to confirm the current restrictions?
NNSY (Norfolk Naval ShipYard - I know, it's in Portsmouth, but still referred to as NNSY) is definately a private (Military) installation and should be set up IAW private installation guidelines. I'm working on finding some good official data on gate schedules. I'll I've found so far is this PDF from 20 Dec 2011. Still looking for something more recent. I might have to just drive around and check the signs at the gates.
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by stephenr1966 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by stephenr1966
Not your fault. It's a common mistake due to the location of the shipyard. Portsmouth Naval Shipyard makes more sense...so naturally the Navy had to name it differently.
P.S. NNSY is not a civilian company yard. It is one of the few (2 that I know of) USN owned and run yards as such it is a Military base.
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by stephenr1966
Turns out I've driven close enough recently that the whole of NNSY is within my editable area. I will take this for action if you wish. I'll lock the private roads at lvl 2 (best I can do) and send you permalinks when I'm done so you can check my work and lvl 5 lock them.
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by stephenr1966
Added an area place for NNSY. Marked all the entrance roads as Private. Restricted all the informal gates as permanent restrictions (all times/all days). When I get a chance to drive over and check out the signs, I'll modify the restrictions to the appropriate times. Not really expecting to need many mods, though. I'm pretty sure the time restrictions previously set were based on the outdated Press Release about the Gate 15 closure. I haven't gone over all the internal streets, yet, but you can check out my efforts so far. I think I have effectively isolated the base in accordance with the Private Installation Guidlines.
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by stephenr1966
CBenson wrote:I have a couple of thoughts.

First, the problem with marking all of the entrance roads as private when some of the gates are split roads and some are not is that effectively only some of the exit roads are marked private. Thus waze will never exit the yard over the private road segments, but will rather use the non-private path through the two gates with the exit split from the entrance. This isn't a problem currently as the two way private segments are restricted to all vehicles all the time, so won't be used for routing anyway. But if you determine when some the gates should be used for the evening exit and allow exiting from the gates in the timed restrictions, then you either need to split all the gates or make these segments private as well.
Good point. Adjusted accordingly. I opted to make those segments private as well for simplicity sake.
Second, in a similiar vein, this segment is only connected to parking lot roads. Thus, waze won't route across the parking lot roads into or out of the rest of the yard. That may be fine if the gate is really only there to server that big parking lot. However, someone starting from the far side of the parking lot is going to be snapped to other roads. If the gate is only to serve that big parking lot I would add a parking lot road that rings the outside of the parking lot so that anyone starting waze in the parking lot will be snapped to that road. If the gate should serve the rest of the yard as well, I would make this segment a street segment.
I'm pretty sure that when this gate is opened it will be to serve the whole yard not just that parking lot so I made that segment a street. I also mapped the perimeter of the parking lot with a parking lot road.
Third, there are couple of other time restricted segments here. If you don't have WMECH, be aware its great for finding these.
This one was a goof so I cleared the restrictions.
This one, on the other hand, is Gate 3 which I believe was only opened while they were fixing Gate 15. I made it private and restricted at all times for now. Oh, and I adjusted the area place for NNSY accordingly.

I did not have WMECH, but I do now. Thank you for that tip.

and a big thank you for taking the extra time to let me do this and then providing the feedback to help me correct my goofs. I'm learning a ton.
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message