Post by vectorspace
qwaletee wrote:The current mentoring page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Mentoring covers both formal and informal mentoring, which are not really comparable programs. Informal mentoring takes place without any guiding force, and happens often by accident or because of a social relationship that has formed among eidtors.

Formal mentoring is very structured.

they obviously have an overlap in tools and topics, but I think they should be separated, with a brief mention on each of the other type of mentoring.

To kick this off, I created a Formal mentoring page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Formal_mentoring

Will have to move some the material around between the pages. I expect to create an Informal mentoring page. ultimately, the unqualified "Mentoring" page that exists now will either be a {{dab}} or we'll pick formal to be primary (since we're promoting its use!) and hatnotes to cross link.

Thoughts?
Qwaletee,

Good minds think alike...well, kind of alike. :)

We have considers doing this for a long time. If you look at the mentoring pages, we already distinguish between Formal and Informal mentoring and have been very exacting on trying to create a definition of Formal Mentoring. Orbit and I have been working with Waze Staff a bit on this.

Orbit was very deliberate in his structuring of the Mentoring pages because he wants this to be a global effort. He has been recruiting participation globally. Any new page ought to take this structure into account and have Orbit's and my participation in discussions like this one.

Our intent was that eventually we would have an Informal Mentoring page to separate out and go into detail about Informal Mentoring approaches and the training involved. Informal Mentoring is mentioned here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Mentoring/US ... _mentoring.

I would suggest that the MENTORING/USA page points to both Formal and Informal as it does now. Other countries can go their own way from the MENTORING (global) page as they see fit and do this or not, copy us or not.

An "Informal Mentoring" page would be great to extract out some of this content (which is very incomplete) and expand upon it. The "Informal Mentoring" concept is one reason I was a proponent for a number of new Wiki pages I have suggested including the canned URs that Mgodlew started, Diagnosing MPs and URs(which I have not seen many comments upon), and the WME Chat Wiki page which I wanted as a first resource to define how WME Chat can be used as informal mentoring.

This information is also embodied in some training that we've been developing:

Lecture 150: Mentoring

Creating a formal mentoring program

Lecture 930: Techniques for Formal Mentoring

Lecture 931: Formal Mentoring for Corrective Action

Lecture 950: Mentoring Champs

Some of these have useful material for informal mentoring because they can be used.

I would see an Informal Mentoring page as one that expands upon the above materials about informal mentoring and gives examples and resources to do informal mentoring. For instance the lectures, the webinars can all be in it. WME Chat can be in it. How to connect with other users (covered in WME Chat page ideas) through other means besides WME chat should be in it.

I would also venture to say that there should be some ethics associated with it too.

It would be great if you could take this and run with it and make some progress. I think Orbit and I are running kinda thin... (well, at least on time).
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace