Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by orbitc
voludu2 wrote:This form has a field "time zone -- pick from list". But there is no list to pick from.

I just typed in EDT. I hope that is OK.
Original post updated.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
PesachZ wrote:
pumrum wrote:I noticed that the closure guidelines were updated to advise us to close crossing segments (where appropriate). The guidelines depict closing the input segments, but I was wondering if it would make more sense to close the output segments instead?

In the example provided, it is likely that local traffic would be allowed to access the highlighted (closed) cross-street segments (the inbound portions of 10th, 11th, and 12th streets). Wouldn't it make more sense to close the opposite (outbound) segments instead, since local traffic would not be able to access these segments?

I had posted some notes about this issue here after working with WazeHQ on a major event in Manhattan and dealing with blocking cross streets.

An example of blocking outbound streets rather than inbound streets here. This includes an allowed crossing at 79th st and a disallowed 2-way crossing at 86th st
I agree. The guidelines should probably be changed.

I usually only code cross streets which lead away from the closure, if there's a way to get to it besides the closure. Basically block people crossing over the closure, but not the streets which lead to the closure.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
I don't disagree either but this is what Waze told me to put in the guidelines. See images below.

I think, there are several issues here:
  • This is a more of a bug or an issue within Waze. When We/Waze close a road, Waze app should be smart enough to know not to route over it or cross it.
  • They need to be consistent when they are giving us the info. Obviously, both info we got from them are conflicting.
IMG_0585.png
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 727 times
IMG_9239.png
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 725 times
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
qwaletee wrote:
StephenR1966 wrote:
PesachZ wrote: Two way segments can be closed in one direction only by noting the junction node IDs in order of travel direction you want closed.

For example this segment of King can be closed only in the direction leading away from Harbor Dr. by saying the closure should be in effect from node ID: 42525853 to node ID: 42525850

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
Thank you for that explanation. The node IDs field had me totally confused. Now it makes perfect sense. It brings other questions to mind, but I'll butt out now as to not hijack the discussion.
COlumn clearly needs a better title. Maybe "One way closure junction node ID order" if we're willing to have many words. Or slightly shorter "Junction IDs (1-way)," which is not as self-documenting, but at least conveys the gist and would be enough to jog the memory of someone who knew about it but couldn't remember quite how it works.
We are not changing the name of the column. We can add more clarification to the description below and perhaps put a picture.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Great job for testing this Pesach!

I spoke with Waze and I'm going to update the guidelines. We will update the images as well. Basically, there are not too many differences from what we said in the guidelines but I'll make some adjustments for all to be consistent.

If crossing segments are one way, block outbound segments only.
If crossing segments are 2-way then block the shortes of the the two. There is another option but for now but bit complicated for us and Waze to use. For now, we are not going to use it. I might add that later in the guidelines.
Other options like permalink etc will be in the guidelines as well and I'll post that soon. ;)
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
citeman wrote:I wanted to suggest that a small note should be added to the closure form regarding duration. I recently had an occasion to discover that a closure can not be greater than 6 months. We might want to note that on the form and indicate that longer closures should be broken up into 6 month intervals.
I thought we had put that in there. It certainly in the sheet. I'll update the form to reflect that change.

Edit: Form is updated:
Split closures that are longer then 6 months. (If the closure starts at January and its for one year, add one row in January tab for 6 months and another row in june.)
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
DoctorMew wrote:Question--if we submitted a closure and it hasn't been done, what should we do? Submitted well over a week ago, and people are still posting about the section not being closed (Minneapolis/St. Paul area)? I have no idea who to contact. Haven't had a lot of luck :(
I see only 2 requests for Minneapolis and both are uploaded (closure dates are on 08/06/2014). Can you provide more info on your closure? Please try uploading again and let me know. I'll check it.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
DoctorMew wrote:Will do right now! It is quite possible I did something wrong... :oops:

Just in case you were searching by location, can you look for Little Canada? Let me know--that's what the section is listed under so likely what I put. (if still isn't there, I'll re-report)

How about I give you more information--it is the exit 694 heading eastbound to 35E south. Submitted by myself :)

I-694 in Little Canada
Description: Repairing the ditch slope between eastbound I-694 and southbound I-35E
Construction Dates: Aug 18, 2014 - Oct 31,2014
Traffic Impacts: Long-term shoulder and lane closures on eastbound I-694 at southbound I-35E. Eastbound I-694 to southbound I-35E closed and detoured Aug 18 through Sept 18.
OK...I found the Little Canada and added to closure sheet. I'll try to remember to update here when it does closed. Thanks
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
voludu2 wrote:I see you have changed the date format allowed on the form; please change the explanation of the required data format.

Also -- can this form be used for time restricted closures -- "Closed from 9 AM to 3 PM, M-F, from September 15 through October 3" for example?
Yes, that's a recent change. I'll take care of it.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
voludu2 wrote:Thanks for being specific.

This sounds like fun. I'll do it, for a 5-day closure, and I am sure the waze team will begin to imagine how they can make their lives easier by enhancing this closure interface.

Not gonna do it for a 2-week closure.
What kind of closure is this? if you have enough time, you should consider time based restrictions.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
JimmyK1 wrote:Question: Is this form only for US based closures (as its in the US subforum)?
If yes, is there one we can use for the World server?
Few countries are already using something similar. If you are interested one for your country, (assuming Greece per your signature) I can help you get one too. Please PM me for more details.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!