[New Page Proposal] Places

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Page Proposal] Places

Postby sketch » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:21 pm

I added a "Construction" template to this page.

Regarding gas stations with parking lot roads: For gas stations on corners, they do serve one purpose that the landmark does not: allowing entry from either side. In some circumstances it won't be an issue, but at other times getting to one side of the station from the other street may require either an illegal maneuver or a circuitous and non-self-evident route. Adding a PLot road will allow entry from both sides.

AndyPoms wrote:When this is first released, there will be a single, moveable, stop-point associated with the landmark. For now, put it at the main entrance. Waze has said that down the line they will support multiple, named stop points so you can have "Main Entrance", "East Entrance", "Visitors Center", etc.

I would say that it might be better, in the case of something like a National Park, to put the stop point at the Visitors Center. If there are multiple entrances to the park, and you're nearer a secondary entrance, what's the use of going to the main entrance? You'd presumably be heading to the Visitors Center anyway.

petervdveen wrote:Why are these points at the side of the building and not nicely in the middle?
[ img ]

They're placed at the front entrances of the stores, so that you'll be navigated to the parking lot, not to the road that's almost certainly right behind the shopping center.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:02 pm

CBenson wrote:
DwarfLord wrote:Proliferation of search results for shorter names concerns me too, but I'm far from sure about mitigating it with longer Place names, especially ones that incorporate larger landmark names in which they're contained.

Agreed. Arrivals is the not best example either as you aren't going to search for Arrivals, rather you are going to search for SFO Arrivals or BWI Arrivals or some variant thereof. However, searching for "BWI Arrivals" or "BWI Parking" works because there are map elements that are named have both "BWI" and "Parking" or "Arrivals" in there names. (Although none of them are within a BWI Airport landmark.) I don't think you need to label a McDonalds because people are going to need to distinguish between McDonalds locations anyway. However, for something like airport parking, I'm think a name should be more descriptive than "Domestic Garage" or "Parking." The landmark can't really depend on a larger landmark for context when searching for a destination.

I meant to say something to this effect too.

The name of the airport needs to be included in such points. As long as we have a standard, whatever is fine. "MSY Long Term Parking" or "MSY Cell Phone Lot" or "MSY Departures" is okay.

The same standard could/should also be used for buildings on college campuses — which, if we're going to be using Places as POIs, should be mapped as well. If you've ever had to get to a particular building on an large unfamiliar college campus, you'll understand the usefulness of it. Foursquare seems to handle it like this, although I don't know if this is their nationwide/global standard: "Building - University" — for example, "Law School Library - Tulane University" or "Diboll Complex - Tulane University" (this is the parking garage). The name of the building comes first because that's more immediately relevant, but the university name is also included. This could easily be used for airports, "Long Term Parking - MSY", or any other point marker that will be associated with an area landmark. Airports can have a special rule to use the 3-letter code.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:00 pm

Perhaps a difference in the law. Parking in one shopping center and walking to another can get you towed in the USA.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:17 pm

doctorkb wrote:I'm concerned about two things:
1. "Never" to landmark parking lots that are "associated with campuses" -- the use of parking lots has helped here where you would navigate to a specific parking lot on a university campus. They're usually named, and big enough to warrant an area

2. "NONE" for landmarking of farmland -- as mentioned previously, farmland in the middle of the city is worth landmarking, both for its value in navigation and the interest of why this farm hasn't been developed.

Perhaps we should just add a section about how any time we establish rules, there will be exceptions -- if there is a desired exception, then it should be discussed in the local forums and some decision can be made with the assistance of a higher-level editor, who can then also lock it to prevent well-meaning editors from removing it later.

1. Agreed — and as I've said before, I believe every building on a university campus should be mapped.

2. Agreed — especially with the proliferation of urban farming.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:30 pm

HavanaDay wrote:For sketch. Do you agree as an area or a point? I would have no issue as a point but would probably take some convincing to due it as an area (each building that is)

As a point. University buildings, excepting football stadiums, should be point landmarks.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Places do not show in the client and do not show in the Live Map -- at least, my test place does not. The former does not surprise me, the latter mostly doesn't surprise me.

I added my workplace as a Place a couple weeks ago, when Places was first rolled out to the beta editor. It shows up in the app and Live Map search results, but no marker or any such thing shows in the app or in the Live Map.

There hasn't been a significant update to the client map display in a very long time, much less since Places was first launched in beta. I would not expect any such change until 4.0. The Live Map was significantly updated recently, but again, not since Places was first launched in beta. I assumed they'd have put something in there, but no dice. That said, it's possible there are categories besides Shopping/Services that might show up, but I doubt it.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:03 am

Yes, and like I said, I added it a few weeks ago. March 5, to be exact.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:39 am

All we can do is speculate about point place visibility in the client and/or livemap. Speculate and wish.

It'll likely be a couple update cycles until anything is done about point place display in the client. The current beta cycle is gonna lead to 3.8, and according to bugzilla comments there will also be a 3.9.

I don't believe it's wise to convert any gas station to a point place until and unless gas station point places are displayed persistently in the client. Maybe you don't need to see where they're at every time you drive, but when you're running on fumes climbing a mountain in Kentucky you really really want some indication of when you'll be able to breathe again. Things which you might very much need that one time (so, hospitals too) should be findable without even searching.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:57 pm

orbitc wrote:Yes, but the category is Hospital and medical care. If it's an emergency situations, I would think, you' would call 911. I personally, don't think to include doctors under offices. I would think, doctors should fall under medical care

Agreed. I believe emergency rooms should all be added separately with "Emergency Room" in the name. Just cause hospitals are hospitals doesn't mean 9-5 clinics aren't "medical care" facilities.

Waze doesn't have a "Hospital" button anyway. If you need an emergency room you'll search for one.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:27 pm

How is a non-urgent medical care facility less important than a fire department? You might still go to a clinic when you have a problem; you don't go to a fire department when your house is on fire.

Maybe police stations should be blue and fire departments should be red.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion