The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by CBenson
RoadKingClassic wrote:
CBenson wrote:
RoadKingClassic wrote:These vehicles are often parked in front of schools and operate 24/7, not just during school hours.
Are you sure?
Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 21-809(b)(1)(viii) wrote:A speed monitoring system in a school zone may operate only Monday through Friday between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
This vehicle is parked in front of an elementary school which dismisses the last classes around 3PM. Even the faculty are generally gone before 5 and it is totally dark in winter at that time. These things operate in the dark even when no children are present (like 7:59 PM).

The question here is: why can't users update the location of these vehicles just like they can report other police activity in real-time?
Agreed. Same for holidays and summer break. They operate on MLK day and July 30th even when no children are present.

As you note many of the school zone cameras are in fact in vehicles (all though some are in boxes that are moved periodically). if these aren't permanent enough to be confirmed as cameras, then they can be reported as police. They essentially function as a police speed trap.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by DallasGrant
rotus8 wrote:And, be really sure what you see is really a red light camera. There are a lot of gadgets around signals that are easy to think they are enforcement cameras, but they are not. Most communities publish lists of where the camera are; search for them.
I totally agree ... I recently deleted all red light cameras in my area (cause there are none) ... yes they are cameras on top of many of the lights, but they are not for catching people running red lights (in my city, they determined it is illegal to use the camera for such practices), it is to have video evidence after an accident has occurred.

I personally think the warning system for these cameras are annoying as it will warn you every time you pass by the road and reporting that it is not there will not stop the warning until the next update (3-8 weeks on average).
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by DallasGrant
The good thing about reporting cameras in the Waze app is that an editor then has to approve them now before they show up on the map itself.
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by DallasGrant
That is the same way in Minnesota. We have cameras at most stop lights in cities, but these are not red light (take pictures of people going through red lights) cameras, these are only for gathering evidence of an accident or a crime.
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by DallasGrant
Knowing where school zones are is really too difficult to set up ... in certain school zones, we can set turn restrictions during hours of heavy traffic where turns are either too dangerous or impossible, but this is on a real case by case basis and it really deserves heavy scrutiny before placing these restrictions (even then it is difficult to maintain as we either would make the turn restrictions during the hours all year round or need to keep maintenance of the restrictions for the days off).

If other people are using Waze in these areas, Waze will automatically reroute you around the traffic so adding most restrictions or alerts is not needed.
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by DallasGrant
NiteOwlNY wrote:We have both permanent and Mobile school speed zone cameras popping up around here. The thing is, the mobile may or may not be there and they are only active from 7 am to 6 pm. I got nailed by one of the mobile units in a poorly marked school zone that I assumed was 30, but it was 20, you couldn't see the sign.

Adding Speed zones, like schools might be a good thing.
School Zones don't need to be added for this purpose because it would have no real effect on the driver. Waze will not inform you if you are speeding. An editor can use area place markings to define a school and the name of the school will be show on the map, but if you are not watching your map closely, you might not notice it.

Your better bet would be to address this concern to the city or township that you noticed the lack of warning so the signs would be better placed. The only thing Waze will do in this situation is avoid the route if it sees traffic is heavy in the area.
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dude463
Personally I think that knowing where school zones are (and if available the times that those restricted speed limits are imposed) would be of more help than red light cameras.
dude463
Send a message
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.

Post by dude463
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dude463 wrote:Personally I think that knowing where school zones are (and if available the times that those restricted speed limits are imposed) would be of more help than red light cameras.
Actually, what tends to delay us more is school bus routes. The change in speed in front of an actual school usually increases travel time by 10-15 seconds, but getting stuck behind a bus...that can add minutes.
Actually I'm far less concerned with the extra time than I am the safety of the kids/other drivers in the area. I'm one of those parents that drops off/picks up their kids from school every day and I see some incredibly bad driving sometimes. DallasGrant has a good point though, eventually waze will be able to calculate normal slow downs and reroute traffic.
dude463
Send a message
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.

Post by Eugene0919
Hi guys, I obtained an official list of speed cameras (as of September 2014) for a city of Chicago.
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/26539 ... de-drivers
This list has exact addresses, so, no need to mess up with multiple people reporting these cameras from the app UI with a huge error margin.
How those could be added to the application?
Eugene0919
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Cameras are added in the client application and confirmed in the Waze Map Editor.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico