The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

[NEW] Best Continuation algorithm has been changed

Post by PesachZ
It has recently come to our attention that in the past week or two Waze has altered the algorithm used to determine the Best Continuation at a fork in the road. This was first posted about in the wiki update thread, but I'll leave that thread for discussing the upcoming necessary changes to the wiki to reflect this change. I'm creating this thread to alert other editors to this fact, which is already causing lots of URs.

In short: the algorithm looked for a match from the segment preceding the junction, to either of the segments after the junction. It first checked for a matching primary name, if it didn't find any it then checked for matching segment types. If a match was found that was the Best Continuation, otherwise both segments would get an instruction.

The good news:
The Best Continuation is only a factor when 2 or more segments leave a junction at less than 45° turn angles. (e.g. a fork in the road, an exit from a highway, a Wayfinder, etc.) This has no effect on turns which would give a "turn right/left" instruction, only ones which would give a "keep/stay/exit right/left" instruction. For a clearer understanding of the whole Best Continuation topic, please read the wiki page linked above.

The other news:
Alternate names now play a role in factoring which segment will be the Best Continuation! This is a very recent development, and can cause many highway exits, wayfinders, and road splits which were previously giving the proper instructions to have suddenly either stopped giving an instruction to a segment which needs one, started giving an instruction to a segment which is the clear continuation and doesn't need one. We still do not fully understand the full extent of this change, and how different variables are being taken into consideration in the algorithm. There is extensive testing underway (which will be documented in the wiki update thread) to determine all these variables.
What we have tested thus far, the following matches will be BC in order of preference:
  • Two primary names AND their road types
  • Two alt names AND their road types
  • Two primary names only
  • Two alt names only
  • When there is any alt name on the preceding segment, there can be a cross-match between an alt name and a primary name (the alt of one segment matches the primary of the other)
    • If one side is a primary match, and the other is an alt match and a road type match, the side with alt and type match is BC (This is the first time we have seen a primary name match not be the BC)
    • When there is no alt name on both segments in a pair, alt names are not considered for matching
    • City names do not seem to affect this at all
    • There is no preference given to the order of the alt names
EDITED list for clarity

What do you need to know for now.
If you see URs, complaining of this behavior, please investigate them carefully, run the route through Livemap to be sure if the instruction has now changed, even if all the segment names appear correct in WME. Bear in mind that any Continue instruction shown in Livemap with a straight arrow is NOT given in the client. If you find a problem caused by this change, please don't edit anything, and post the PL to this thread so we can investigate it to help us learn the full extent of this change. After reviewing it, we will fix it to make it work properly again.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

POSTER_ID:16413809

Send a message
Last edited by PesachZ on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
https://s.waze.tools/gc.pngNYhttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8https://j.mp/1C9mUY2
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum

Post by HandofMadness
t0cableguy wrote:Level 3 again these are locked to 4... bet you guys are sick of me lol
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 2,66126422
I would suggest PMing TXEMT or Banished since they are last to touch the junction to find out why it is set up the way it is. Waze doesn't handle 3 way splits, and that's not how you would normally set that up. No matter what you're not going to get ideal instructions there.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
I suspect that since the best continuation plays a big point in Wayfinders, the Wayfinder section of wiki may no longer be valid.

I've been trying to get a couple wayfinders in my region to work for about a week or two and was about to post a request for help. Do you think this is a related - and if so should the Wayfinder section of the wiki be edited to reflect the fact that this is again being reformulation?
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
Well the caveat here is that for each of these I only made one of the exiting stubs 5m in length (so I didn't follow the instructions exactly), because in #1, the other was already a ramp, and in #2 the exiting ramp is locked level 5 (I'm L3). I've read that wayfinder wiki many times and it seems that the 5m was just to make sure it didn't look strange on the app or screw up the routing timings. . .

Anyway, here's #1. Going southbound on Alfort St Bridge, there is a fork to an "exit" ramp to Alford St (right), and a continuation onto Rutherford Ave (left). However from a driving perspective, it's pretty unclear which way to go (I don't know how many times I went the wrong way due to the lack of instruction) - if anything going straight would take you to the ramp (right), and going down Rutherford Ave requires that you veer left. So we need a prompt to "stay right" or "stay left" depending on the route. It currently gives a "exit or stay right" (I don't recall which one, I should probably pay more attention) but nothing if you go left down the Rutherford Ave underpass/tunnel.

Here's #2. Driving west on Memorial drive - Again there is a fork. Going straight would be an exit to a ramp to Massachusetts avenue; staying left would keep you on memorial drive to bypass the intersection via a underpass. Again, there's only a prompt to "exit or stay right" if you're turning ont Mass Ave, but nothing to stay left. I've seen several UR's about this particular issue as well.
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
Thanks for the fixes. I'll test them both out over the next week on livemap and in person once they go live!

Regarding the question about the outer segments - not sure they were set up as ramp even before I started wazing. I'll be happy to change them to MH with a short ramp stub.

I'll look more at the other alt names for Memorial, but many of them are already locked to L5 or will be soon as orbitc's road locking standards for this region kicks in. As far as the wayfinder guidance naming - haha, I saw the box in the wiki with the explanation mark starting with "Previously in these situations segment naming was modified. . ." I missed the whole part of the bullet point just above that which said to just remove the name!
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
Thanks. I guess that'd give an "exit right" and "stay left" rather than "stay" both directions. Will change the stubs as well.

I was just looking at the naming of memorial drive. It's pretty convoluted, having alternative names of Mass Rt2, US Rt2, and Mass Rt3, and in different places. Will get to it later!
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by milkyway35
Please note : something valid for USA/Canada is not necessarily valid for World or Israel.

These 3 platforms can have different behaviours.
milkyway35
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ

Waze Community Communications Guidelines
As ChiefWazer said :

Code: Select all

"We all work together for a common goal here, we all want Waze to succeed in helping peoples everyday life"

Post by ottonomy
t0cableguy wrote:Ur complaining that they missed their exit because the one before it didn't prompt. I would like it to tell them to keep/exit right and then exit left. Highlighted segment could be changed to a wayfinder ramp but I'll leave that up to you guys.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=80852035
Yes, changing that segment to Ramp type would break the BC going that way, and cause an Exit Right prompt (no other modification necessary, unless a Stay Right prompt is preferable to Exit).

At the following split to the east, the left-hand path in the UR will get a Stay Left prompt (not Exit). In the US, TTS only prompts "Exit" on the right-hand side.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

Post by ottonomy
This passage of the wiki is great for a rundown on what prompts can be expected, and not, from one road type to another:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/How_Waze_det ... conditions
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by ottonomy
t0cableguy wrote:Do you guys want me to change that segment to a ramp myself or do one of you want to take care of it. If you want me to do it I need it unlocked to 3.. i figure it would be easy enough for one of you to just take care of it. I will post in the unlock forums if you want me to. Let me know. Thanks
Done :)
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message