Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by MojaveCactusMonkey
Your examples look great Dave. However, I put a question in to Jemay who helped me work on a different community where the resident and guest entrance utilized a street instead of private one way entrance. I'd like to get clarification before we make anything official. Do you agree?

Sierra Monte guest/resident entry

Both examples of guest/resident entry are working fine from my sampling with Live Map. I'm not sure if there is a difference that needs to be clarified.?

-Marty
MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
https://sign.wme-tools.com/images/signatures/cones-5-small.png
MENTOR / COUNTRY MANAGER - USA

Adding PLACES?
NV Forum. NV Wiki
RI Forum. RI Wiki
CT Forum. CT Wiki

Post by SuperDave1426
I don't know if this is worth anything or not, but I figured it's worth considering.

A while back I had a conversation with Jemay (RC) on the subject of these types of residential situations. At that time, he told me that his preference was to use private road type if it's one of those communities that are all just non-named roads (which admittedly are usually also gated) or when in a gated community. The thought was that by making them all private, even if there's only one entrance now, if they add an additional entrance at a later time the community will already be set up to resist routing through it. as a result of that conversation, I painstakingly went through communities like this one and set all the roads to private road type.

Part of the criteria that he gave me was that if it was a public place such as an office complex or shopping, etc., to use PRL type, but if an semi-private place such as an apartment complex with roads to use PLR. This is one such example of where I did that (and before someone asks, I only added those roads because I had a UR from a resident there that wanted to have them in - otherwise I provably wouldn't have bothered :)). (Added side note: When I zoom in all the way, it looks like there's a gate at the entrance. I wasn't aware of it when I did those roads or picked that as an example to show.)

I'm not suggesting that you change how you're editing them; just giving some information on how I've been doing it and why - use it or ignore it as you wish. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Don't forget the part where Jemay said:
jemay wrote:But for the majority of the trailer parks and inside a small block areas, then private all of them like the second example.
:D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
I took a look at what you did there, but I think you're going to make more problems by doing that - by setting all of that as Street instead of Private, you're increasing the chances that people are going to end up being routed through that community.

I suspect the reason that you got routed to the wrong gate was because you were going in and the location that you were going to was closer to the resident-only gate instead of the one where there's a call button.

Since there's more than one way in/out of that community, I really think you should go back to making all of the roads as private type. To get around the "being routed to wrong gate," you could set restrictions on the segment at the resident-only gate. Of course, then residents won't be routed that way either, because Waze as no way of knowing that they can use the restricted segment. The upside is that the segment will still be on their app, and they can drive it, even though you're telling Navigation to restrict routing for all vehicle types.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
If that's the way that it's supposed to be done, then by all means, do it that way.

One question, though: If enough Waze-using residents just head in through the one-way road, against the direction of the one-way, isn't that eventually going to cause a MP to appear?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Naw - remember, Mr. Owl solved that for us: It's three *crunch* three. :D

But what I was trying to ask is this: If you set the resident-only gate as one-way heading out in order to make sure that visitors get routed to the gate that they can come in through, any Wazer residents that drive in that back gate are going to be going against the direction of the one-way road. Won't that eventually create a MP?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Don't forget to give it a few days first, to have the map tile update - otherwise you'll get the same results you already have been.... ;)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Ok, good to know for places which have more than one entrance and the other is restricted to residents only. Thanks for the clarification.

One thing I'm not sure you're saying here, so if you could clarify, please? You're using "in" and "out" on the entrances. So you're saying you want split one-way roads at the entrance to these types of residential areas? Is that correct?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
I'm pretty sure he meant that it has to be a minimum of 5m per segment. I'm guessing that given that there have been statements elsewhere that shorter than 5m and it can't properly get average speed data, etc. I note that the Validator plugin will also call your attention to any segment that's under 5m, so that would also seem to support that.

I'm sure Jemay will let us know if I'm wrong here, but I'd guess that over 5m per segment isn't going to cause trouble. :-)

Also, when I looked at what you did there, I see that your "In" side is two segments, both set as Private road. Jemay, again please correct me if this is wrong, but I'm pretty sure what was said was that the in route should consist of three segments, Private, Street, Private, in that order.

BTW, I thought from the other day when you had me look it over that the resident-only entrance was on the south of that complex (where your permalink) points to. Is it there, or on the north end? 'Cause if I read Jemay's posting correctly, you only need the private-street-private combination IN on the resident-only entrance. The main entrance can just be Private both ways.

Jemay: I note in your posting that you specified "In" and "Out" of both private type for the main gate that can be used by anyone; can it just be the regular two-way private type road,or does it need to be split into two one-ways for this scheme to work?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Ok, then I misremembered from our conversation that day. If the north is the resident-only entrance, then it looks like you've got both ends set up correctly.

In that case, then yes one of the separate segments would have to have the extra node since both segments have the same start and end points, so one of them has to be broken up into two segments.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message