Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Peak-time routing (Chandler's Ford, Hants) - advice please

Post by PealRinger
I've been looking at a UR at these crossroads with some interesting routing.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lon=-1.40573&lat=50.97586&layers=1957&zoom=5

At peak times, instead of a simple 'turn right' - Waze prefers to turn left and go right round the next roundabout and then return to this junction. As this is a single lane road and there is no filter arrow at these lights this is never going to be quicker.
This issue is only at peak times as having tested in the Live Map it seems the problem only occurs on weekdays between 08:30-09:30 and 16:30-17:30.

The only reason I can think of is different segment data for turning left and turning right. I'm guessing that if in the peak periods all Waze users are queuing to turn right then this could give enough of a speed difference in the data to make the left turn seem better - and no-one has actually followed this route because it's obviously wrong once you get to the junction.

Does this seem feasible? .. and if so, should I split the segment near to the junction to better represent a single queue of traffic for all directions?
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

POSTER_ID:16868239

Send a message
Last edited by PealRinger on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Conclusion: Come back 2 weeks after the junction has been rebuilt and check?

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by DG567
I think it's def worth a try. I'd delete the end of the old road and put in two new segments side-by-side so they don't inherit any old segment data.
It is a tricky one - waze is in fact doing what it's supposed to do so you might find that the route is still quicker to turn left and then u-turn at the roundabout....
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Olestas
Did anyone try it? It "might" be faster.
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by PealRinger
Timbones wrote:If you could leave the junction as it is please, I'd like to collect some data and submit it to HQ for analysis. Thanks.
Will do.

I've added a note to editors and a link to this thread to the UR while you investigate.
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by PealRinger
Timbones wrote:If you could leave the junction as it is please, I'd like to collect some data and submit it to HQ for analysis. Thanks.
Tim - any progress on this one or can I try the suggested fix above?
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by PealRinger
Have revisited this one using the WME Route Speeds script.

This seems to support my suggestion that the average speeds along Castle Lane are very different for turning left and turning right at these peak times. As this is a single lane road then this isn't actually the case so must just be down to the majority of Waze users turning right.
(.. unless we have a Waze cyclist polluting the data by cruising past the queues and turning left :o)

Here's the two routes calculated at 19:00 showing the speed data.
So 11mph v 27mph depending on whether you turn left or right - hence Waze believes that turning left and doubling back at the roundabout is over 40% quicker; 2:46 v 4:10

https://googledrive.com/host/0BwY-74JEFbMBdU5DMFNkMUxidVU/CastleLane.jpg

PS Looks like the image size isn't being detected correctly so right-click and open in new tab to see it properly.
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by Timbones
If you could leave the junction as it is please, I'd like to collect some data and submit it to HQ for analysis. Thanks.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
Here's the results of my testing of this junction (sorry it's taken so long). The green dots are for 'turn right' and red dots are for 'turn left and go around the roundabout':

I think that it's worth rebuilding the junction now, and I'll continue to monitor the routes.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Attachments
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries