This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Weird routing between Devon, PA and Nags Head, NC

Post by voludu2
I am following up a UR in Devon, PA from a wazer who had difficulty planning a vacation.
I found a bad junction in NC to be contributing factor, but not a major factor.

Here is what I found:

Devon, PA to Nags Head, NC
* Waze: no route found
* Google Devon to Nags Head

Nags Head, NC to Devon, PA
* Waze, departing 10PM -- shortest route 448.9 miles; quickest route 8 hours. This involves a weird trip west, exacerbated by a bad junction (forbidden right turn)..
* Google, ignoring traffic -- shortest route 354 miles, 6 1/2 hours.

The strange thing is that if I break the trip down into smaller pieces, Waze does significantly better compared to Google. Why is this? Does Google just have more processing resources, and so is able to explore more branches on the way to finding an optimum route?

Nags Head, NC to just-over-the-bay-bridge:
* Waze: 109.67 miles 2 h 8 min
* Google: 110 miles, 2 h 3 min
voludu2

POSTER_ID:16966196

Send a message

Post by CBenson
Waze continues to think that Philadelphians should not travel that far south.

See discussion here and here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by MReiser
CBenson wrote:Waze continues to think that Philadelphians should not travel that far south.

See discussion here and here.
I'm sitting in my office in Bensalem, PA which is directly north of Philadelphia. I-95 is one block away.

I was able to get a route on my phone to Nags Head, NC from here, which is good news for this thread.

As far as the other two listed above, I was able to get a route to Williamsburg, VA but not to Hatteras, NC. It's possible the FC updates we've done have helped or that routing errors have been fixed.
MReiser
Send a message
https://j.mp/1ofo6nc https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... 00k_4c.png
Delaware State Manager / Level 4 editor - Philadelphia metro
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.2) w/ Waze v3.9.0.0

Post by PhantomSoul
Not sure about specific methods of route debugging, but one thing to consider with a rank/penalty-based system for navigation, like Waze uses, as that your options for available routes become more and more limited the longer a trip you try to navigate. If several of these now-limited road choices are traffic-clogged at the time, it can really wreak havoc on Waze. Keep in mind that Waze is tuned for optimal routing in the distance ranges you'd expect people to commute to work, since that is the use case Waze is designed for. I think if your trip is over a certain distance, like well over 100 miles, Waze will pull you toward freeways no matter how far out of the way they may be.

One immediate possible solution (workaround) is to either enter waypoints about 100 miles apart along a longer trip, or just enter each waypoint as a destination. Of course this involves doing a little research to find good waypoints about 100 miles apart, but I just chalk it up to the growing pains of a product that has started to move beyond its initial design.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Oddly enough, it doesn't think North Jerseyans should travel there either: Newark, NJ to Nags Head, NC fails too. This is really starting to look like a route-complexity timeout/overflow issue.

To Nags Head, NC from:
Atlanta, GA: OK
Nashville, TN: OK
Chicago, IL: Fail
Cincinnati, OH: OK
Pittsburgh, PA: OK
Wilmington, DE: OK
Atlantic City, NJ: OK
Trenton, NJ: Fail
New York, NY: Fail
Albany, NY: Fail
Boston, MA: Fail

Seems like at a certain distance where the route largely involves significant urban area, routing fails. Also, at such long distances, one little rogue red arrow (by mistake, perhaps) along the "through path" of an Interstate freeway somewhere can easily spell complete catastrophe...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Google wanted Waze so that it would be off the market. If Facebook, Microsoft, or Apple had purchased Waze, it would have further diluted Google's map proposition.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Oddly, I just tried the route on my phone - failure from north Jersey, as PS says. I then tried the Livemap link in the OP (7.5 hours), then reversed it (about 10 minutes longer trip). Took a god long time to find the routes, though. Not the first time Livemap has succeeded where the client did not.

When I changed the time in Livemap from NOW (6pm) to 08:00, it died. Spun the finding route wheel for a minute (far less than the time it took to find a successful route), then suddenly stopped at displayed the plain "find an address interface." It lost both "dropped pins." That's really weird, maybe the server returned an unhandled error, and that's the default Livemap action for an unhandled exception.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by voludu2
I did run the route for 10:00 PM, to avoid traffic.

People like Waze and want to contribute their traffic data every time they drive.
So Waze needs to make clear that it is still the choice for drives under 100 miles.

Until it gets Google-sized resources, it will be hampered searching for good longer routes.
If it fails grow up within 3 years, I fear Google might just make Waze disappear -- all Google really wanted was the traffic reporting, anyway. Which would be a shame, because Google should want the active map editors, too.
voludu2
Send a message