Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Post by
This page can now be found in https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Waze_Map_Editor/Welcome
My aim is still to get some of this information onto the first page that any new WM editor will see when they hit that "wiki" link the first time -- http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... map_editor
-------
We are joined by "new recruits" all the time, and I'd kind of like to have more. There are tons of wazers making URs every day, and if a fraction of them could just fix the direction on the street they live on, then we'd be in pretty good shape.

I am thinking about an "intake" article.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Voludu2 ... ap_Editing

Please feel free to type stuff right into it.

I want the new editors to see more emphasis on contacting other editors and less on trying to figure it out on their own. Chat can be intimidating. So they should introduce themselves, and get a resounding "hello Norm" back. that sort of thing.

Eventually, I would like to include a link to it in some UR comments from sensible-sounding wazers who describe their problems well. "Well spotted. If you see any more like this, you can help by fixing them yourself. Learn how at ...."

POSTER_ID:16966196

Send a message
Last edited by voludu2 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by bwawsc
I'd like the "Before you get started" section to say more (and more forcefully) about setting up your forum account to make sure that you receive PMs (not just "log into the forum"). One of the really frustrating things about dealing with new editors is that many of them don't have their ears on. PMs are never read, they aren't in Chat, they've never seen the Wiki - they're running open loop. Of course, making a section in the Wiki say something doesn't reach those who never read it and never access the forums. That's another issue. But the single biggest problem (IMHO) with new editors is that many are completely out of touch with the community. The Intro to WME video should also make a big deal of this.
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by bwawsc
voludu2 wrote:If you can suggest a specific replacement for a specific passage, that's worth discussing.
OK, how about this:

In "Before you get started",
Move the sixth bullet to the top;
Re-word to say something like this: Communication with the editing community is essential to learn about editing practise and procedure. Log on to the forum and fill out your profile. Set your Board preferences so that Users can contact you by email; Administrators can email you information; Users can send you private messages; the Board can notify you of new Private Messages; and pop-up notification of new Private Messages is enabled. Join the appropriate Usergroup (for new editors, this would be "Map Editors - Rank 1").
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by bwawsc
voludu2 wrote:What do you think now?
I think new people need specific instructions and justification for setting up the Forums so they can be contacted. Many people are unfamiliar with PHPbb, and many have odd ideas about "security" that make them reluctant to set this up properly. In fact, I suspect than there are people who give Waze a bogus email address, or an address they check infrequently if ever. Editor access to the maps should be restricted to those who have properly joined the community. Since we can't do that, the next best is to be clear about what they "should" be doing, and when a bad editor turns up who is unreachable shut them down quickly. To me, this is about making it clear up front why they need to be reachable and what they have to do to make it so.

Possibly another page about this topic is needed, so you can just refer to it in the bulleted list and keep the word count down.
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by bwawsc
I would think it would be better to leave introduction of these tools to the mentor. I know once I found them I was pleased to have them - but they might have been overused or improperly used if I had not had benefit of reading lots of forum posts and re-reading lots of Wiki articles.
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by bwawsc
But again, and most importantly, make sure they get the message to be reachable and involved in the community forums.
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by ct13
Shaq23 wrote:I think every new/potential editor will find this page really useful! It's a hands on, with "Step by Step" instructions in order to start out on the right foot. All while keeping it short and to the point.

Great job putting this together voludu!
I think that one of the tasks of AMs or SMs could be to send a boilerplate PM to every L1 that edits in an area. This task would be infinitely more simple if someone used WME Data Store to export a list of all the new editors in an area. I say this since even if Waze agreed to an automated PM, it would be "soon" before they got this implemented. I know DwarfLord was a fan of a PM that would lock people out of editing if they didn't read them; maybe, this could be incorporated someone how as protection for the map, so that every editor that is going to continue to edit, knows about the wiki and would be contactable.
ct13
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by CYANFOX
I'm having difficulty figuring out the wiki :c
CYANFOX
Send a message

Post by jorgetriumph
Hay una calle que esta cerrada por una pared desde hace varios años
jorgetriumph
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I think we should link this to the main page around the editor section currently in place. Let's add this first bullet below to the existing bullets there.

Code: Select all

* Edit
    * Learn how easy it is to edit the map [link to new welcome page]
    * Please do not edit the map until you have read the Waze Map Editor manual and reviewed the best map editing practices
    * Please do not turn on recording a new road unless you are about to drive on to a road that is not already on the map
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message