Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by ncc1701v
kpouer wrote:One problem with long segments is traffic jam detection.
If a segment is 20km long and there is some traffic jam on 3km, I think it will be hard to detect, and if not detected waze will use the known average speed of the segment and not the current speed due to the traffic, don't you think?
We've been here before :-). The goal is getting to your destination quickly. For a given segment, you cannot get on or off, so what matters is the average speed for the whole thing -- the speeds on different parts of the segment don't make any difference in navigation. Personally I prefer to have clean roads and few junctions.
kpouer wrote:The other problem is to know what happens to the average speeds that waze knows if the segment geometry is changed, the segment splitted ...
It's better to retain existing segments if you can, no?
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by txemt
kentsmith9 wrote:
* Max length allowed by editor (I believe we have seen this in the 10km range; I will do some tests unless someone already has.)

If you're creating a new segment, you can create it from Maine to California, as long as you don't connect it to any roads. If you're moving a segment that's already there, there's a max distance allowed, but I can't remember what it is. I get frustrated when I get the "you've moved the segment beyond the maximum allowed distance" error.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
If you have a segment leading from Seattle, WA to St Louis, MO connected to a segment that goes from St Louis, MO to Miami, FL, you can delete the node (by clicking on it and then clicking on the trash can) and you'll now have a segment from Seattle, WA to Miami, FL.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
kentsmith9 wrote: The question is can you change the road geometry after it gets longer than 10km or so? I think that is where I have had problems. Also I seem to recall I could not delete a node (and save it) if the two combined nodes were longer than a certain distance.
Do you know of any segments currently longer than 10km that I could play with so I don't have to create one?
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

You can play here.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
jasonh300 wrote:I have a segment that is 65000 meters that I've adjusted a number of times with no ill effects. There are no other segments connected to it though.
Is that the Causeway or I-55?
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
kentsmith9 wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:txemt, did you know that permalink has a node on both freeway directions with the turn restriction preventing through traffic?
:lol: OK, you created it just to play with. I can see that now. Thanks.
I have two "sandboxes" that I use to play in to show people intersections, etc. Lots of room in Texas to do that. :)
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
A wild thought that will require you to do a little leg work:

You could drive the route, and when you run out of service area, remember where it is, and on your way back, maybe drop a UR there. When you get home, or to the editor, create a node. On the segment beyond that node, you could maybe put in the alternate roads section "loss of GPS or cell service."

It's just a thought.
txemt
Send a message