Gas Station Naming

Post by pumrum
I would like to recommend adding a note to the Gas Station guidance that the name of the gas station should be something that clearly identifies the station - most typically the brand. In rare cases where the brand of gas is not obvious, it should be the name displayed on the huge price sign at the street (e.g. Manny's Gas & Go). I come across a lot of gas stations all over the country where there are 3 or 4 stations in a very close area, but they're all named either with their street address, or the name of the LLC/Corp that owns the station - which makes it very difficult to tell which gas station you're reporting prices for (or which gas station Waze is trying to get you to once you are there).

Lo and behold, there is a perfect example on the main Gas Stations wiki page: This picture lists "Coast Gasoline" as a search result. However, there is nothing at this station to indicate that you are, in fact, at Coast Gasoline. In Waze, this station has been updated to "Menlo Gas", but that still doesn't work. Since both the gas station report and the gas station search feature don't display the brand, you are left wondering if you are reporting for the correct station. The name of this station should be '76', or at the very least, start with '76'.

A much, much, much better solution would be to have the app updated to display the brand - but even if that was something coming "soon", well... you know where that's going ;)

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is especially important for store gas (Costco, Stop & Shop, etc). I have seen a lot of incorrect place updates where drivers are trying to classify the gas station as a grocery store because the station was named "STOP & SHOP #235"

Edit 2: We should also include some guidance for rest areas. In these cases, the name of the station should clearly indicate which station you are at. Something like "I-95 N Service Area" or "Montvale Service Area". This will make sure, when you're on a divided highway and there are two service areas opposite each other, you are reporting for the correct station. It will also help to handle drivers who are in the vicinity of, but not actually at a service area.
pumrum

POSTER_ID:16851422

Send a message

Post by nzahn1
pumrum wrote:
nzahn1 wrote:This shows "Name" as the result in 3.9.1 on iOS.

I believe it's always been this way.
crazycaveman's screen cap from v3.7 shows brand. this station shows as 'BP' in his list, but the name of the station is 'CHERRY HILL BP' (and doesn't appear to be a sponsored result). The Exxon station is named 'EXXON CAR WASH'
Must be an Android/iOS difference. This screengrab from 2012, shows "Name" as the result (even for Ads):
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ac/GasT4.JPG
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
pumrum wrote:
nzahn1 wrote:Must be an Android/iOS difference. This screengrab from 2012, shows "Name" as the result (even for Ads)
Could be. Android gets all the cool stuff.

I do have a sponsored station in my list showing as "BP" but the station is named "14TH ST BP". very weird.
I realized that crazycaveman must have been looking to report updated prices, whereas both photos I posted were results for gas stations from the navigation menu. Maybe we are looking at different lists...
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
1) Use 'Gas' instead of 'Gasoline' (real estate is limited in app)
Done.

2) We should expand on service plazas / rest areas / etc.
Done.

3) There has been discussion about leaving the brand blank vs selecting "Unbranded". Can anyone provide some info either way?
See here; language added to avoid unbranded.

4) I seem to remember there being something important about the phone number of the station as it relates to gas prices. This could have been hearsay though.
No idea.

5) Tweak the lock guidance to say something to the effect of "Gas Stations should be locked to a minimum r2 (for the reasons you specify), but preferably r3 or r4 for states that have an AM/SM, and r5 for critical infrastructure stations such as interstate rest stops".
Stronger language, got it.

6) Stop Point - let's include guidance for stop points.
Okay. Will do.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
sketch wrote:I doubt that's what you're actually seeing. An Ad name is not linked to anything on the Waze map at all. The "SUPER GAS" etc. is probably showing the Name because it is marked with no brand, and the other 3 are probably showing the Brand.
Even so, I am definitely seeing "Name" as the result in 3.9.1:
Photo 1
Photo 2
sketch wrote:Don't do this if "Gasoline" is in the official correct name of the station. If you're doing something like "Sam's Club Gas", that's fine, although you really should be using the proper name where applicable, e.g., "Sam's Club Fuel Center".
If you read the page, you can see thats what we were referring to.
sketch wrote:Don't make names artificially short just to fit them there. "Shell - I-95 N Service Plaza" is not too long. Some of those shorter forms are somewhat confusing.
Okay, made a change.
Sketch wrote:That's from when it used to show the brand instead of the name, unless no brand was selected, in which case it showed the name. Now, it shows the name regardless, so it doesn't matter so much. But no one is going to choose "Unbranded" as their preferred brand anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.
Okay, no change.
Sketch wrote:If there's already a phone number there on an unedited station, it's probably an imported station, and will probably get third-party price updates.
Not true now that we have phone numbers for all places. So I don't think this info should be enshrined.
Sketch wrote:And parking lot roads, if it's not there already. Is there not already stop point guidance?
Okay, not that I've seen. If so, share the link so I can include it
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
Just completed a round of updates. Take a look.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
sketch wrote:Yes, or something like that. Personally, I do this:
  • "Brand" - default
  • "Brand Gas" or "Brand Fuel" (whatever the official name is) - for gas stations in the parking lots of wholesale stores or hypermarkets, such as "Costco Gas" or "Sam's Club Fuel Center"
  • "Brand - Convenience Store" - if there is a separately-branded convenience store (like, more than just Food Mart)
  • "Brand Convenience Store" - if there is a convenience store that is generally only seen with that particular gas brand, this is usually a better format (e.g., "ARCO ampm", "Exxon Tiger Mart")
  • "Name Including Brand" - if the gas station has a name like "Edenborn Shell" or something like that, it doesn't really make sense to name it "Shell - Edenborn Shell". But it's good to have the name in there, because it makes it much easier to tell stations apart on the list.
I like all of these except the last one. I understand adding the Name if they are on the same street and in close proximity, but otherwise i see it as unnecessary because the Navigate>Gas list already includes street/city, and the Report>Gas list is limited to ¼ mile.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
sketch wrote:I can understand that, although in my case there are 3 Shell stations about equidistant from my house, and although two have their addresses on cross streets, they're all on the same street. Even so, I've found that it's a lot easier to tell them apart when the names are descriptive – especially when I'm driving – than it is to use only the address.
IMHO this falls into editor preference, and a local AM, SM, CM, CHAMP, etc would probably happily accommodate such a request to deviate from wiki guidance.
When I get some spare time, I'll add some more etiquette about naming to the section along the lines of your input.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
+1

Unless we can confirm that, in the very near future, the dedicated Brand field will display in search results and on the update gas prices features, the Name field of a Gas Station place needs to reflect the most prominent identifying signage available at that gas station - typically the brand of gas sold.

Otherwise, the consuming features mentioned above become very confusing to use, ruin the accuracy of the information provided, and ultimately undermine any usefulness these features strive to provide.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message