Change alert distance

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Suggestion. Lengthen alert distance

Postby Driver1960g37 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:02 am

Each type of alert distance could easily be user configured. I think this is a much better solution than a fixed predetermined distance unit. 0.2 miles is pointless.
Driver1960g37

Postby jhh3000 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:40 pm

do we have an update on whether or not Waze is picking this up as an issue? i can't imagine it should be hard to change 0.2 mi to 1.1 mi. they could do that now, to save us a lot of headache, while they work on a solution for variable alert distances.
jhh3000

Postby cole9858 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:40 pm

If they don't change the alert distance, I find no need to use Waze for navigation. Maybe Google is phasing out police reports all together? Hope not, but if so, I'm out.
cole9858

Postby deadbirddog » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Anything new on this issue?
Retired LEO
Country Manager Iceland
Area Manager West Virginia
[ img ] [ img ][ img ]
deadbirddog
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:29 pm

deadbirddog wrote:Anything new on this issue?

Not that I know of. I've pinged them a couple of times and not had any response. iOS seems to have all alerts set to .5mi right now. Too far ahead for red light cameras, not far enough for police. I don't get it.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby riffraf » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:17 pm

It's really a shame about the alert distances being so short. Instead of being a useful feature, it has been reduced to an annoying bug. A 3/10 or 4/10 of a mile warning about hidden police is barely enough time for me to smile before we're face to face. As for hazards on the road? Instead of being able to slow down, look, and avoid them, we have just about enough time to tense up for the thunk.

Another month and a few revs go by without comment from the developer. Does anyone know what they're thinking? As much fun as Elvis is, I'd trade him back in for adequate distance warnings in a New York minute.
riffraf

Suggestion. Lengthen alert distance

Postby karlcr9911 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:56 pm

In my opinion, the police notification screen should be re-worked altogether.

Instead of having Visible and Hidden buttons, replace those with Mobile and Stationary. If Mobile is selected, then the alert would be extended to 3-5 miles (for example). If Stationary is selected, then a 1-2 mile alert notification would be made.

I think this would increase the usefulness of this feature immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regional Coordinator - U.S. South Central
iOS Beta Leader / Tester | WME Beta Tester
[ img ][ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
SCR Wazeopedia
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby kondadotm » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:27 pm

karlcr9911 wrote:In my opinion, the police notification screen should be re-worked altogether.

Instead of having Visible and Hidden buttons, replace those with Mobile and Stationary. If Mobile is selected, then the alert would be extended to 3-5 miles (for example). If Stationary is selected, then a 1-2 mile alert notification would be made.

I second this idea. Mainly for that "mobile" and "stationary" labeling... don't know about the alert distance thing... (might be good, too).

PS: Well... better than mobile/stat. (actually all police cars are mobile :lol: :roll: ) it could say something like more specific like "speedcam" instead of "hidden" ... just my 2 cents...
kondadotm

Postby ESGATC » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:44 pm

The user should be able to set the distance. I would like to have traffic and police longer than alerts like vehicle on shoulder. Police laser can get you at .2 miles so I would prefer not to watch the map all the time to look for the police icon. Please let us decide the alert distance. (I thought we used to be able to in an older version but cant remember)
ESGATC

Postby BrownedOut » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:06 pm

This shortened distance and grouped to .2 mi. is loosing customers every day, decreasing usage and revenue. Let this be offered it is a matter of high importance for those who value and use your service and depend on alerts for safe and best practices while driving.
BrownedOut

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests