Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

IGN mistakes

Post by
Sorry, the subject is a bit tasty. I have been cutting the ign editors some slack since they are here to help - or are they?

I thought I saw them all, but a ramp from a major road onto a 'one way' bike path marked as a street? No wonder there is an Update Request - 'turn not allowed'. I'm fixing this now so the permalink will show the after edit. Screen shots of the before.

The edit panel screen snip is of the ramp to the bike path. But I suppose you can guess who also created the bike path as a road... just in case this is a brain teaser - ign_alyona.

http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=7&l ... 1=61685642
Ramp to bike path from road.JPG
IGN.JPG

POSTER_ID:1013356

Send a message
Last edited by gettingthere on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Plz email this thread to alpha.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
https://descartes.waze.com/live/?zoom=7 ... TTTTFTTTTT

Every junction in this intersection is set to allow all turns, including the dedicated right-turns "ramps" (not supposed to be "ramp" but street type) which would route across a divided road.

EDIT: I am fixing this now, so you won't see the problems by the time you
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Map error now because ign split a road: https://descartes.waze.com/live/?zoom=7 ... TTTTFTTTTT. Left turn lane in the middle is the cause.

This road doesn't deserve to be split, but I think this error also shows that the algorithm is too sensitive.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
If you can put in permalinks here and not fix the problems if they are minor, then please do so. Otherwise, maybe a permalink and a screenshot or two as examples and then fix it. Krankyd is still keeping tabs on this thread and using it for training opportunities.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Let's split the road around the planter/shack/island leaving one side a two-way segment and also add several "ramps" for the dedicated right hand turns. All the "poor" edits done by ign_katerina in April 2011.

Note especially the direction of the highlighted segment. May look OK to Her Majesty's peeps, but not on this side of the pond.
Screen shot 2011-09-10 at 9.02.50 PM.jpg
(171.88 KiB) Downloaded 1641 times
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gettingthere wrote:Look at this gem. IGN_ruslan didn't even bother to connect the road. And the irony, an automated Papyrus Map error - Roads are close but not connected... Just lovely.
Truly ironic.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Redwood Parkway in this view: https://descartes.waze.com/live/?zoom=5 ... s=61811660

A lot of the parkway is recently split and one side is still 2-way. In some places, both sides are 2-way. And, I've left selected in that link, some turn lanes that ign_maryna added. The kind of turn lane that I can't stand. What's wrong with a simple turn left...? Drivers should know how to get into a left turn lane to turn left.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
IGN users are now the primary reason why I am locking a good number of my edits now. Not because of the general population of editors, but because of the so-called company editors. I am now up to 2-3 hours of work per week in fixes because an ign_ (un)editor has messed up an area.

The most common these days is the dedicated right-turn "ramps" at stop lights which always has all turns enabled on both ends, thereby leading to "cross left across all traffic and u-turn onto this ramp to the next street" instructions, and then always leave the main intersection with all turns enabled. (The right-turn should always be disabled when a dedicated right-turn segment is in place.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
WeeeZer14 wrote:Here is one where a level 6 user made some triage changes but the area needs some more work. The real reason I am posting this one is I find it funny that the SPUI is far from single point as it was left by shiaz! :lol:
That is a goofy mess. Looks better already now with your edits.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
RallyChris wrote:My turn to vent. ign_svetlana(3) get out of Portland.

You have two very active Area Managers covering this area, no need for ign to tread here.
Ugh. I was taken aback by this when I first saw it, but then learned to trust the GPS tracks.

There's another intersection I updated recently to the east. Don't remember, but it differs from the aerials, too... Gonna see if it's still correct.

EDIT: Urg. Well, not correct, but it looks like Quser has gotten in there. Segments here: https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6& ... 1,41045736 don't exist any more. "Roundabout" needed at Burnside and 14th.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message