Post by voludu2
I can help with wiki-template work
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
You want this done the way New York is done, with the new templates? This won't change the content. It will just move it to sub pages and order the state page in a common way. It should also make it easier to maintain tabular information, once the info currently there is converted to the new format. I think I start by putting the new template in place and plunking everything I main, then moving stuff into the new template subpages one easy chunk at a time, but I will check in with PesachZ to make sure. I'm sure he'll point me to any how-to pages I might have missed.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Thanks for getting that started. I added an intro page (with links to the DE forum) -- please be sure to move it along with all the other moves. I made a small change in the cameras section.

I think it looks pretty good.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Made those two changes. Get Well Soon.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
In PA, townships count, but in DE, hundreds don't count?
That leaves no city for most of DE.
But addresses don't work without a city.

Most of Newcastle county seems to have a Wilmington Mailing address.
But zip is not city.

putting city or post office /zip/mailing city on segments is a really stupid idea Waze had.
But we are probably stuck with it for a while longer.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
The Waze model for putting city name on the segments is just fundamentally flawed.
That's the problem.

In PA, you can live in Tredyffrin township, in Chester County, which is a place everyone around there recognizes, but your mail might come through the Wayne post office in Delaware county because that's how the USPS organizes its delivery routes. So you have a Wayne zip code. But you wouldn't actually drive to Wayne to find the person's house.

It's like this all over the country.

Waze needs to move place information into a separate polygon layer that can be edited and locked.

And create even one more layer for zip code polygons (readily available in the US from several sources, based on mail route info supplied by the USPS), and probably the same for postal codes in other countries.

Until then, what to do with the city information is a real head scratcher, because someone driving to an address in Chesterbrook might type it in as Chesterbrook (which is not actually a place, according to the state of PA), Tredyffrin (which does), or Wayne (which is the post office that serves chesterbrook), and expect to get directions to the home or business.

Google handles this OK; if waze wants to get away from depending on google for address lookup, it will have to learn to handle it as well.

Until then, there is no sane way for map editors to handle city information, because nothing we can do will help very much. And the cities layer is really a smudged mess because of competing needs for how to use it -- for visual orientation as well as for routing. and also because of editor ignorance, confusion, and disinterest in the whole problem.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Poncewattle wrote:can there be a consensus to move the Delaware page from "test" to replace the live one out there now?! :)
I am all for this.
As for the city discussion,
I think there are many states with confusion between municipalities and postal codes.
We aren't going to be able to hash it all out here.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I agree.
Making the best map means some changes to city-name standards.
Because some places that do not qualify as cities by the current standards in many states are useful to have on the map, because they are useful to help wazers orient themselves.

And thank you for putting it more simply than I did.
voludu2
Send a message