Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

State Highway Naming

Post by the1who
Hello everyone in SD. I want to propose this as this is the direction I see Waze going to support states that use this particular naming method for their states. Not all states adhere to this, such as Kansas where it is simply "K-XX" but MN and MO in particular to what I know firsthand knowledge of refer to their state highways as "Minnesota 100" or "Missouri 7" and so forth. I propose, that we come to agreement to utilize this feature of TTS in Waze to output SD-101 as 'South Dakota 101' and other state highway names instead of SH-101 or SR-101 or State Hwy 101 as examples. This is the direction I personally would like to see SD go in for not only state recognition for travelers but it will slim down the text in the navigation bar and be uniform for the whole state instead of some pockets being State Hwy 101. SR-101 works fine too, but from Wiki of SD State Highways, the it is implied that they are known as 'South Dakota 101', we can match that with Waze TTS as well now.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:872208

Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99

Post by bretmcvey
Don't forget any highway/interstate ramps when adjusting the name as well as alternate names that need editing if a highway runs through town and goes by a different name in the urban area.

NOTE, the temporary trade-off for the better naming is the loss of the highway badge image that floated over the state highways.

So don't be surprised when your changes roll out that will be be case. Between Yankton and I-29 I've begun adjustments to rename Hwy 50 as SD-50. Have fun and if you need assistance finishing off runs of highway, please let everyone else know so we can help fix things up.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by bretmcvey
No reason not too that I can see. Hopefully we can get Waze to correct the missing state badges, but it'll shorten the listing in directions and you'll get the state callout when making turns to hear "South Dakota" ahead of the highway number. I'm already making those changes to IA and ND as I come across things (with the exception of Nebraska due to lingering TTS issues).

Unless anyone has objections there's limits to how many other editors monitor this forum. If you come across other editors/area managers you can always reach out and bring them in the loop in case they try and change things back. Not everyone is aware of the state section within the forum.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by jeffwcpa
I like this idea. As previously mentioned, the SD DOT follows this naming convention.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
jeffwcpa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Lequs
I think that a change to SD-XX would be at worst neutral but most likely beneficial. All the maps I have seen do name the state highways as "South Dakota Highway XX" with varying amounts of SD or Hwy mixed in. Even the maps in my dispatch center list them as SD Highway 34, for example. The SD DOT online road map refers to them at SD HWY XX.
I support this change for sure!
Lequs
Send a message

Post by Lequs
I take it we will be doing this change then? Didn't want to start until it was "official".
Lequs
Send a message

Post by Sdtahoe
I would agree and like the idea, as they are referred to as SD-xx on the states DOT sites, and the signage is the states shape with the number in the middle. I like the idea of the state recognition in the naming also.
Sdtahoe
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by the1who
From what I gather, yes, the state is silhouetted. I don't know how the DOT reference the highways. Here in Nevada, the DOT just calls them routes but all of the signage is a silhouette of Nevada and even some say Nevada on them. We are proposing here in Nevada for NV-XX as well. The one that is a standout is Nebraska with NE for hopefully obvious reasons. But from what I gather, besides Kansas and the NE issue, all other states use (state) highway XX convention or what we would use in Waze as (state abbreviations)-XX. If that makes sense.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99