Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

North at top

Post by
Is there away to always have north at the top of the screen?

POSTER_ID:3060954

Send a message

Post by advance512
I agree. Waze map spinning is just obnoxious and makes me actually get annoyed at the cellphone.

It can also cause me to get off-path or even endanger myself - since I never know what direction it'll point next, especially in case of GPS reception skipping which will cause me to try and rely on the map to not "lose" the Waze path.

Such a simple, simple feature, so useful, requested so many times over so many years...

Wow.
advance512
Send a message

Post by aigarslv
walkinreader wrote:It drives me up that after I tell waze north should be up, it often decides to unset that setting.

It's so damn frustrating.

This bug is noted in bug-list and we are hoping that it will be fixed in near future!
aigarslv
Experts
Experts
Send a message

Post by Airos4
Just going to pile on - North as "up" remains a transient thing at best. I'd like to see it in the options screen next to the 2D/3D toggle, because I'll set it that way and never look back.
-- Droid Bionic
Airos4
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Moving this to the client forum, folks. Have fun.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sporty944 wrote:Suggestions.
1. PLEASE make an optional feature to lock "north at top" as this is the way many "professional" navigaitors work. It gives us much more positional and directional relevance.
2. ALSO add a "North arrow" permanent display option for whichever way the map is used. Maybe as a "watermark"?
I agree that a lock would be nice, but there aren't too many times when Waze will switch back to non-north display. As for #2, the arrow on the screen already points to north all the time, whether you are locked on north or not.
sporty944 wrote:3. CONSIDER hazzard icons for such elements as FOG (add visibility distance e.g. FOG20m) and ICE which could save many lives.
I'm pretty sure, but could be wrong, that the current 2.4 version has Weather as an option under Hazard reporting. I know for certain that the beta 2.9 does and has Weather options currently for Forg, Hail, Heavy Rain, Heavy Snow. Looks like "ice" would be a good addition.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bgodette wrote:But does the weather still only fall on one side of the road?
There is not yet the option for "both directions" for any report type.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
lpGrumpy wrote:And i just read where someone said that it does not revert back often. That is not the point: it should not revert ever. Make it an option! It should be MY choice!
Then we'd have to call it Waze Your Way and it'd be owned by Burger King. :)

I wish I could tell you the next version is better, but I can't. Not because it isn't, but because I don't know yet because I've been looking in to other things.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
FYI, I posted this in the iPhone beta thread as a bug, but N-at-top is not saved between starts of Waze. It did stay stuck in place as I did other things like post events. Unfortunately, the same bug where the previous view settings aren't restored after viewing alternate routes on the map remains.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Mirarkitty wrote:If the argument is still that waze is a turn-by-turn application, then fine, I wont ever try to use waze again. I was looking for a navigation app that gave me a map with information that helps me take the decisions I need to get where I want, not something that reads a bad GPS and decides for me...
That is kind of exactly the point of a GPS navigation app, which is what Waze is. That being said, I totally agree with you and everyone else who feel that if Waze has a north up feature, it should stick to north up ALL THE TIME when selected.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
If you turn off the "map controls on tap" setting then the compass arrow will always show. This should help with orientation when that happens. Not a substitute for a real lock though.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message