Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by syntax2600
davipt wrote:
syntax2600 wrote:I was going to suggest adding a police car / squad car.

Some of us Wazers drive those and rack up a ton of miles and map edits. and some of us even post our own police reports. :)
So I guess the first thing to ask is a Waze mood for Police, so we can see you driving on the map and avoid you ;) (not kidding, a Police mood could make sense, ask it!)
It's not a bad idea at all. I personally like the idea of creating a police awareness. If people slow down and potentially create an opportunity for a decrease in crashes and what not I'm all for it.

I'd use a police mood. Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
syntax2600
Send a message

Post by theotherphil
Australia...but could be used anywhere.

I would like to see a usage for emergency vehicles. I can turn right at no right turns. I can do U turns at traffic lights etc, etc.

Garmin has the option for Emergency Vehicles, as does the factory Sat Nav in my Hyundai IX35.

Useful data could be gleaned from my drives but I don't think it should contribute to traffic data. On an emergency, I can pass most traffic without issue.
theotherphil
Send a message

Post by thrmphrsy
I would like to see an "EV" type. I'll often choose routes which avoid hills to extend my range: this is something completely ignored by Waze at present. For all the emphasis on saving gas, I would expect to see an option to avoid steep hills as this leads to unnecessary fuel expenses (route A: 19 minutes with a huge hill gets priority over route B: 20 minutes of nearly flat travel).

Other options in EV mode would be the display of charging stations, perhaps from another network such as PlugShare or ReCargo. Setting a range limit for navigation could warn about going beyond the limit of energy stored in the battery for purely electric vehicles without a backup generator.

USA, PNW
thrmphrsy
Send a message

Post by tomlalofe
Vehicle type: motorcycles

I apologise if someone's mentioned my points in this thread, but, based on my experience, a motorcycle setting would be helpful for two reasons. Firstly, it would prevent the motorcyclist from reporting inaccurate traffic conditions when they are filtering though traffic. Secondly, it would prevent the motorcyclist from being unnecessarily rerouted around standstill traffic - something that can be very frustrating for me as a rider when I know I can filter past the traffic anyway.

As for the American states who have made filtering (or 'lane splitting' in local jargon) illegal, I cannot see the point of wanting to own a motorcycle in the first place if you can't take advantage of its smaller size. There is a safe manner in performing this manoeuvre, so instead of banning it completely, the Americans should rather educate their drivers to be more aware of the things around them (the level of driving in most states is atrocious as it is compared Western Europe) as well as training motorcyclists how to filter safely.
tomlalofe
Send a message

Post by TonyG-UK
Here's what I wrote in Feb relating to this subject.

I think having set vehicle types is a mistake, you should have vehicle profiles and allow the user to define what the vehicles attributes are (weight, height, width, taxi/bus etc.). Then allow the user to have multiple profiles which they can select depending upon which vehicle they are currently driving. ETA scaling factor could then be automatically calculated per vehicle.

Similarly, WME should then allow attributes to be set on segments (width/height/weight restrictions, bus/taxi lanes). Handling turn restrictions for different attributes would need to be handled carefully, but isn't that difficult.
TonyG-UK
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK

Post by TonyG-UK
:twisted: It would be nice if you implemented this properly, unlike the Petrol Prices feature :twisted:
TonyG-UK
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK

Post by top_gun_de
Time-of-Day-Restrictions. There is at least one one-way in Hamburg which changes its direction over the day, and there are a couple of streets which are forbidden during a part of the day.

Best regards,

Detlev

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
Well, there are bikes, and then there are bikes. These ways are just fine for a cross-bike, but not for an ATB or a standard city-bike. They serve their purpose: Everyone expects a different thing from bike-ways, just like a truck driver has different expectations of car-navigation from the driver of a limousine.

Best regards,

Detlev
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by torone
police/firefigther/ambulance
torone
Send a message

Post by Traveling_Gav
Consider this a vote of support if someone had already suggested it but in addition to types it would beneficial if vehicle height and weight could be specified as many bridges and tunnels are restricted by those requirements. In Australia even some roads will be restricted to vehicles less than some weight.

Otherwise bus, taxi and I guess truck would be useful types for us

Cheers!

Edit. Just went past a no left turn for vehicles over 7 metres so length would be good as well
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message