The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by syborg_sasquatch
I saw a similar UR this week and I believe the user may be referring to the arrows that appear with traffic highlighting to designate which direction is effected.

Sent using Tapatalk.
syborg_sasquatch
Send a message
Chuck H. | Rank 3 Editor
Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android 4.2.2 | Waze 3.7.8
DC Wiki | MD Wiki | VA Wiki

Post by taco909
Had another disoriented Starbucks customer the other day.

At least the UR shows us exactly where the Starbucks is... and which space they parked in :D
starbuckswaze.jpg
(234.84 KiB) Downloaded 982 times
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
petervdveen wrote:The problem is, that he drove over a ball, but it didn't get picked up...
Network connection probably dropped out just before he got to the ball.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
ploben wrote:
xteejx wrote:Some people are just too stupid :(
I'm surprised this driver didn't report "police" thinking they might get law enforcement involved.
Don't get me started on "Police" reports.
I send out dozens of "Not There" every time I'm on the road from the jolly drivers who have a cop in the next lane going the same direction.... and frequently it's the same Wazer reporting the same cop over and over.

Waze really needs a third category of "Police - Moving"... that automatically clears from the map after say 30 seconds to 2 minutes based on the speed limit of the road.
Knowing that a cop WAS there is not particularly helpful to a driver 5 miles behind... but it could be helpful to the guy a few seconds behind who happens to be hard on the gas.

The Live Map has it right... "Police Trap Hidden/Visible"
The app should say "Trap" on the reporting screen.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
petervdveen wrote:Moving police should not be reported at all.. ;-)
While I completely agree with you and CBenson, the hundreds of thousands of Waze users out there that have no idea this forum exists apparently do not agree and will continue to report moving police as long as they are able.
The idea of adding a "Moving" option and then having the network ignore it is a stellar idea.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
ploben wrote:
tonestertm wrote:
ploben wrote:In 9 months I have yet to thumb up a police report from other users. Its either a bad report or the cops here in CT are using Waze and getting smart.
I enthusiastically thumbs-upped a correctly placed Police Report one week ago, as I'm almost certain it saved me from a ticket on an open stretch of highway. The police car was stationary, in a position completely invisible to traffic in my direction, until it was too late.
And now, back to Jolly Drivers! I was certainly a lot happier after that experience. ;)
Any report, especially reports on high speed roads, I appreciate greatly for the warning and already thumb up. Saved my ass yesterday on 91 when someone lost a suitcase full of clothes. My passengers were extremely impressed that my "GPS" warned me of the clothes in the middle of the highway.
And for road hazards such as stopped vehicles and objects, that's great.
But moving police (or ANY moving obstruction, such as a driver doing 20 under) should not be reported. As indicated in another thread, it takes 4 minutes for the report to be processed and fed back to the live map. By that time, the moving officer (or jolly driver) has traveled 2-5 miles and is no longer a valid report at that location.

So yes, every "police" report that pops up, I wait until I can confirm he's not on the side of the road, and I hit "Not there" to discourage future reports of moving officers. Likewise, I see a lot of "police" reports when they have someone pulled over or are working an accident. What is more important to drivers... the accident or vehicles on the shoulder, or the cop that is already busy and is not going to be concerned about passing vehicles other than his safety. For those situations, I report the accident or "Vehicle on shoulder"... not the cop.

Please, if the report is of a cop, wait until you can confirm that they are in fact there before sending the thumbs up.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
The police "not there" does not work the same as the other hazard notifications?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
sketch wrote:
Taco909 wrote:The police "not there" does not work the same as the other hazard notifications?
Am I wrong? I don't recall ever getting a message saying someone reported my report as "not there". Plenty saying they've been thanked, though. Maybe my reports are just that good 8-)
You've been around a lot longer than I, but I guess your reports are that good (or people are ignoring them :lol: )
I get "Not There" responses from time to time when I've reported vehicles on the side of the road.
These are not Map Chats or private messages... they are the same type of pop-up as a Thank You, with the opportunity to respond same as a "Thank you" note.
Knowing now that it takes up to 4 minutes to propagate to the live map, that is understandable, as sometimes people here in LA will (illegally) pull to the emergency lane to take a phone call, or pull over for a few minutes to secure a load, or some other short stop.
I'll try to be more aware if a situation looks like it's wrapping up before reporting.

Unfortunately, it's something that's hard to test/demonstrate, since you can't "Not there" something unless it pops up on its own as you approach... and it was funny today driving with my wife, the popups that we were getting were quite different.
I guess the only way to test it is to throw out a bunch of bogus reports in an area populated by many Wazers and hope someone responds. Next time I get one, I'll try to remember to grab a screen capture, but it's a bit of a pain on the Galaxy.

Another interesting thing, she runs her colors in editor style, I run in default because traffic speeds are easier to see against the blue. Area Places were rendering on her map, but not on mine. It could have been the zoom level, I left mine at the default for our speed and she was zooming and panning all over the map looking for incidents ahead.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Kobes1878 wrote:I use the swipe with the side of my hand on the galaxy and haven't had a problem, is that how you take screenshots?
It works sometimes, but depending on the app that is open, it doesn't always work.
Often emails swipe to the previous message, Waze will open the report screen (and like a Thank you, once the "Not there" is cleared it's gone).
But I've only had the phone for about 6 months and have not really worked with the screen shots.
Do I need to be in contact with the glass, or just above it?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Fixed it.
Downloaded a screen capture service that goes back to the old way... power button plus either down-volume, or on my S4, power button plus home button.

Next time I see a "Not There" I'll try to remember to capture it.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich