Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by SuperDave1426
jemay wrote:Streets out will mean you will be routed out of the complex via the best route out.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
That seems reasonable to me. Which Wiki page are you referring to, BTW? We've got a few... :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
I'm not sure that how it currently reads provides for what we're discussing here. You might still want to make a revision....

I was going to add something regarding this to the Nevada Wiki, but if you're going to be updating the main Wiki that won't be necessary since it would be kind-of redundant. I've got screenshots already prepared that I was going to use as part of that. You're more than welcome to use them to add to that main Wiki page to illustrate the technique.

Here are the screenshots:

Main entrance - Residents and Guests

Residents-only entrance
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
That's interesting.... What's the point of setting up two one-way streets to control access in that fashion? How does it restrict routing through somewhere if there have more than one entrance (especially given that the rest of the streets in the complex are all streets and not private roads)?

Sure, I agree wait until we know something one way or another. I just had set up those entrances (and made the screenshots) based on Jemay's last posting here where he described that method of in-and-out. But if that's being revised, then by all means hold off on using those examples. I can always make more if there is, in fact, a change from what Jemay suggested.

But I really would like to know how two one-way streets going through the gate is going to discourage Waze from routing through.... :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Weird. I'll take your word for it, but I'd sure love an explanation that I can actually figure out. :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Could you do us a favor, please, and look at the two images I linked to, that I prepared, a bit further up in the thread and confirm if I've got the arrangement of in/out segments correct for both resident-only and resident/guest entrances?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by taco909
The private one-way road on the entrance serves to prevent route-through.
IF the development is small, and all FCs are "street" then instead, the development may be completely built as "private", however that does not cover 100% of the bases.

Small development:
One entrance - Everything private... or use Street if you can obtain names. There will be no route-through simply by virtue of there only being one entrance/exit (take care that errant locations pins on surrounding businesses/parks don't push routing into the development)

Two+ entrances with guard-controlled access at all gates - Everything private
One or more "resident-only" gates (no guard) - Everything CAN be private, however, the resident-only gates need to have an added penalty. This can be accomplished by adding a 5m "street" segment to the part of the road that spans the gate.
In these cases, routing into the complex will be forced to go through one of the guarded entries.

Larger developments, where there may be Primary FC types, need more "controlled" access.
The split one-way accomplishes that. The exit is "Street" so there is no penalty moving from the internal "streets" through the gate.
The single Private segment on the incoming side serves to prevent route-through.
Note: Be sure it is a single segment. "QW" to clear the "Multiple segments with same endpoints" I've found will tend to add the extra node to the Private segment. Either stick the extra node on the exit, or run the entrance as "street" to the guard shack window and put the extra node there.

Now, in this case, the key-card controlled entry/exit gates will look the same to the routing server as the guard shack if they have only a single 5m Private segment crossing the gate, so in these cases, a double penalty is needed... InternalStreet-Pvt-Street-Pvt-Street-connection to outside world.
This will prevent inward routing and direct guests to the single Pvt segment at the guard shack.
Residents who may be able to enter there will just need to learn to live with Waze always routing them to the main gate.

Now, all of that said, if the complex has only one guard shack, and all other gates are key-card/code only, then the double one-way is not needed at the shack, and a single penalty will suffice at the gates.
The whole point is to prevent route-through of non-residents/guests, provide a legitimate way for guests to enter, and provide a legitimate path for exiting.

In some cases, the gates are free access for exit only... automatically opening. In those cases, the split one-way can also be used IF it can be verified that the gate can be opened from the outside with a pass/code/card... if not, and it is exit only, then it needs no penalty but there should be a one-way segment from the gate to the cross street.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
SuperDave1426 wrote:Could you do us a favor, please, and look at the two images I linked to, that I prepared, a bit further up in the thread and confirm if I've got the arrangement of in/out segments correct for both resident-only and resident/guest entrances?
Those look perfect to me.

Make sure that arrangements like this are set to L2 (or L3 depending on how critical the installation is) to prevent inexperienced editors from removing the penalty segments, changing the classification, or unsplitting.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by the1who
Private roads to be used like how we have the bases setup, with the one entrance setup briefly as private and the rest as street. I'd expect to see that for gated communities as well if we were to follow that example, as it has been said if someone has an address inside the gated community beyond the gate, it should still route just fine. But I have seen where people here in Vegas were routed all over and around the whole community, to the back side which was closer but never really ever navigating to the street to which they were to stop. That is the problem I see with integrating the private and street road types. I'd rather not see private roads for gated communities unless there is a way out the back side, meaning, only using the private road to prevent routing through the community when it will most likely be impossible.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99

Post by the1who
jemay wrote:Main Entrance:
Res Entrance:
In = Private + Street + Private
Out = street
Can you explain a bit more for me, what do you mean by the in? Is it a segment that transitions from private, to street and back to private?
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99