The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by bgodette

This area was correct from Aug 24th until edited by ign_yulia on Sep 9th.

Ign_yulia unnecessarily resplit County Line Rd, added a acute bow-tie at Chester St resulting in "turn left at County Line Rd, then turn right at County Line Rd when routing through that intersection heading west.

Unnecessarily resplit the entrance road east of Chester St into Park Meadows Mall, and got the turn restrictions wrong as a result.

Redid the ramps from EB County Line Rd to I-25 both north and south and got those turn restrictions wrong as well.

Redid the exit ramp from I-25 NB to County Line Rd and got those turn restrictions wrong as well.

This area was working fine for the roughly two weeks after I had worked on it, it did not have any Papyrus map errors or new update requests.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
I'm leaving that little de-edit alone so Waze Mobile has a chance to see what was done. If it's still broken next weekend I'll fix it up again and edit lock it.

Currently I'm running through the freeways/highways in my edit area cleaning up naming, and fixing stuff as I come across it, while unlocking everything that isn't complex.

Speaking of locks, there seems to be at least two, possibly three, different lock flags. Cartouche only displays the AND'ing of all the flags and sets all flags (edit, geometry/direction), and the Locked checkbox in Papyrus only seems to be for the edit lock.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
WeeeZer14 wrote:Here is some work of ign_victoria1. Notice where the ramp starts and ends.
If you can't make it out, the ramp starts on I-94 then loops around and ends up behind where you started from. It should start on 159th St. Will be fixed shortly.

https://descartes.waze.com/live/?zoom=7 ... s=14911461
She was just implementing these http://xkcd.com/253/
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette

Well it looks like Waze employees have visited County Line Rd & I-25 in Denver, CO. It's slightly better but there's still some major problems.

Should be unsplit

Creates a U-Turn where it's not allowed.
Creates U-Turns where they're not allowed, and crosses median against traffic.
Wrong turn restrictions can't turn left exiting Park Meadows Mall and directs you against traffic.
Wrong turn restrictions
Creates wrong TTS produces "turn/keep left" followed by "turn/keep right"
Creates spammy/wrong TTS will give "take a right at County Line Rd" followed immediately by "turn/keep left to I-25" when taking this route.
Creates spammy/wrong TTS will give "take a right at County Line Rd" followed immediately by "turn/keep left to I-25" when taking this route.
Extraneous junction

Anyone find something I missed?
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
gettingthere wrote:
bgodette wrote:Anyone find something I missed?
Not if we want to get any editing points this week ;)
What's annoying is this area was working fine until IGN visited on the 7th.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette

Waze Perlin has revisited again yesterday and looks like he updated based on my list of issues. Hopefully he's using it as a training demonstration for IGN and not just fixing it. Personally I would have had ign_yulia doing the repairs, generally that works better for correcting misguided intentions or misunderstanding of best practices.

Anyhow on to the critique;
The merge work looks great, and it's getting closer, but there's still problems. BTW there's already been a UR generated 2 days ago regarding the old turn restrictions.

Wrong turn restrictions
Wrong turn restrictions
Wrong turn restrictions left to County Line Road not allowed and would have to travel against incoming traffic.
Wrong turn restrictions creates a U-Turn.
Bad placement of junction Creates a route that isn't legally allowed, and there's a physical barrier. Needs to be junctioned west of this segement, ideally at the missing parking lot road (which used to exist) going into the shopping center on the north side of County Line Rd.
This set of ramps actually start way back here and is a two lane wide mixing lane that stays two lanes all the way onto the clover-leaf to NB I-25. Creating that mixing lane with appropriate in and out segments takes care of the TTS spam and double "turn right prompts" of the current setup.
Cosmetic, these should be Streets.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
It's complicated

Waze Perlin's third visit got real close to correct for routing, it only had one wrong turn restriction, so I've gone ahead and returned it to close to what I had on Aug 27th. This layout deals with the TTS spam that would have occurred with Perlin's layout. If TTS prompts get tweaked on the route server side this area can be simplified by removing the long mixing lane, but until then this is basically how it needs to be.

Now it's your turn to find my mistakes.

Additional fixes:
Parking lot roads added back into shopping center north of County Line Rd. Ramp names to/from I-25 fixed. Inner ring road around Park Meadows Mall changed to Parking Lot to prevent routing through the inner ring to get to S Chester/S Yosemite.

I still need to go back and fix up city names after I find a current city line source as the borders have changed in the last few years.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
gettingthere wrote:So based on Gerben's link, the IGN editors were likely assigned to the area to 'fix' major routes and/or map errors before an influx of new Waze users.

Of note - Waze is now advertising 6 million users.
I can believe 6 million just by how usable Waze has become for large metros, unfortunately it still has a long way to go for everyone else. I'm amazed at how bad the map can be in the extra-suburban areas and small towns just in northern Colorado. I can only imagine the horrors of small towns everywhere that have organic expansion of their road network.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
kieranrawley wrote:I've only been upset a couple of times whilst using Waze (basemap was the main one) but now i'm getting close to unspooling due to IGN's. IGN_Katerina has been editing my beautiful work in Aylesbury and surrounding areas. Why did she think that the month or more that I spent putting over 2000 edits in needed more work? At least if you're going to faff with it, do it right! :evil:
At this point I'm thinking the best way to prevent future problems is to actually have the IGN editor that broke it to do the work to fix it. Also keep in mind that they have been getting better, so be aware that edits from a month ago or older may not represent what that particular editor would do now.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Sep 2 2011 ign_zhenya.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message