Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[TERM CHANGE - ACROSS WIKI] Avoid the word *SPLIT*

Post by
There have been many post and discussions bemoaning the ambiguity of the term "split road", and its usage in the Waze vernacular. Here is one example. There have already been some changes to the wiki namely the splitting a road section, to move away from split road to divided road.

The default definition of the term "split" currently in Waze refers to a divided roadway. The MUTCD uses the term "split" to refer to a road or a lane forking into two roads or lanes heading in the same direction to different destinations. This shows how wrong our usage of the word split is.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12 ... e81ef3.jpg
See the title of this image

The term "split" as used throughout Waze can refer to;
  • A divided road (two one-way carriageways making up a single road)
  • A fork in the road (where a road going in one direction diverges into two separate roads to different destinations, e.g. a wayfinder)
  • Cutting a segment to add a junction node in middle, thereby making it into two segments
Given it pervasiveness through Waze it is recommended we cease to use the term entirely, remove it from all documentation, and replace it with better descriptive terms. If and when the term "split" eventually falls out of common usage among editors, it can then be reinstated in our documentation to refer to its proper meaning, as defined by the MUTCD; a fork or divergence of a road.

We can search the wiki and make the replacements wherever the term *split* exists, and eradicate split entirely from our documentation. The term "split" (and all its derivatives) can be replaced throughout our documentation with the appropriate terms (and their derivatives) from the following list:
  • Split (verb) > Convert a two-way road into a divided road, alternatively we can use "divided road" in conversation
  • Unsplit (verb) > Convert a divided road into a a two-way road, alternatively we can use "non-divided road" in conversation
  • Split Road (noun) > Divided Road EDIT: We can also mention on the main discussion that this is a "Dual Carriageway" for our friends across the pond.
  • Split (a segment) > Cut (a segment)
  • Road Split > Fork in the road, road forked, divergence
-------------

Once we choose to do this, we should also make a glossary entry for the term "Split" with {{Anchor}}s for derivative terms (unsplit, etc.) explaining that its usage has been deprecated, and why. with a link to a disambiguation page for "Split".

The disambiguation page will have links to the relevant pages/sections for each of the terms possible definitions.

---------------

All in favor please show your support below. If you have any comments/critiques please make them known, otherwise we would like to start implementing this change in one week.

POSTER_ID:16413809

Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I started the DAB for Split. Since we will be replacing the words in the final links from Split to something else, we need to hold off including the links on this DAB page until those are done. Then we add the links to this page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Can you put the proposed changes on the talk page just so we can see what you mean and how it would look?

Then we can just cut and paste the changes after everyone is good.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
As you said it is not a traditional DAB page, but I think it is very effective in carrying out our goal. The only other choice would be to put this very good content into the glossary and redirect "split" to that page with these links.

Then on the DAB page we would still have the links, but use the traditional DAB formatting.

The reason I am pushing for keeping the DAB formatting consistent is to prevent DAB pages from getting out of control and having them look inconsistent. This is something held very strictly in the Wikipedia editing world and I think for good reason.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
PesachZ wrote:However if we move all this text to the glossary, and make [[split]] redirect to the glossary. We no longer need a DAB at all. I'm opposed to having any page use the split terminology without explicitly saying it's use is deco deprecated, and resending the preferred terminology.

I don't mind using the glossary instead, but as replacement, not as a means to have a standard dab here.
We (two) are in agreement the glossary can keep this great content. It will be the redirect for [[Split]].

My proposal for having [[Split (disambiguation)]] is to have a place that is consistent with other DAB pages for similar terms that are used with too many meanings. The only difference from other DAB pages is we want to "strike" the term Split from the Wiki due to the confusion. I am OK to keep the DAB with the addition of the comment at the top that the term is now deprecated.

Having a DAB page does not prevent the Glossary from being the primary point to lead people to the correct place, but I don't understand why having a separate traditional DAB format page is a problem? It is still searchable if you don't simply accept the Split redirect to the Glossary.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
The glossary is a detailed description of what the terms mean. The consistent DAB page is very brief. If you search the Wiki for Disambiguation pages, you will not find the glossary. Keeping the simple version of the DAB will enable those searches to include Split which is still a common term people will "search for." While the Glossary will be the point most people will first come, the DAB will permit tracking the disambiguation.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Split DAB with Deprecation note

I think we can consider pulling out the split terms at the front of each entry and only show the remainder of each line. The classic DAB uses only a single line for each entry with only one link per line.

It will be similar to the Glossary entry, but much more condensed in the classic DB style.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Apologies, I copied the original DAB text and added the note. I expect to incorporate the new terms into the DAB. I will take another shot later tonight.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
PesachZ wrote:The only discussion is how to format and word a disambiguation page.
I had proposed this wording already:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Split_(disambiguation)/Temp
We can further tweak it to ensure the new terms are used in the text for the disambiguation. Then when the other page/section changes are completed, we link to those places from the DAB.

The other changes should be made to the glossary as already noted. To some degree that entry for Split in the glossary will somewhat appear like a DAB as well, but we already agreed this was a special case that would benefit people more than it would cost in maintenance/redundancy.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by ottonomy
The ambiguity of split has plagued our conversations long enough. I'm very glad to see this change coming to pass. You've got my vote on this, Pesach!
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California