Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Excessive junctions

Post by
Hi!

I am using Waze on my Nokia C7, and generally I am very pleased with it. Both with the general accuracy of the GPS and how it works in general.
However, when I am paving new roads, they are littered with unneeded junctions. Even if I'm driving at speeds of 80 - 90 km/h it drops junctions at between 150 and 1000 meter intervals. This is a pain to remove afterwards in the map editor. I have been editing a few km's of roads, and I have seen other users driving a lot without a single junction. I would prefer this behaviour, all the time I have to manually make junctions at crossroads anyway.

I am running Waza Release 2.0.0.0 (From the about screen)
And the Nokia C7 with the Symbian Anna OS.

POSTER_ID:1768306

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Use Papyrus and deleting lots of junctions is much faster once they are in place.

Both Cartouche and Papyrus have a method to select a range of a single street (one name). Works better in Cartouche right now as Papyrus does not actually let you change anything once you select with this method. You can multi-select manually and name them all at once.

The perimeter-defined idea has been kicked around a lot, and because it has the potential to be misused by altering a massive amount of objects at once, it is not going to be implemented.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It's not any different in that both segments must have matching attributes, but you can also bridge instead of deleting the junction. It is more work to select two segments, bridge, then set the level back, but that used to be the only way to do it in the early days of Papyrus. ;)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Dash-2
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It's not any different in that both segments must have matching attributes, but you can also bridge instead of deleting the junction. It is more work to select two segments, bridge, then set the level back, but that used to be the only way to do it in the early days of Papyrus. ;)
I'm glad I found this topic. Alan's description of bridging was the only way I knew how (I started Wazeing with Papyrus) and it is very tedious. Especially with all the dang Pedestrian Boardwalks that cut up the roads all over town. :roll:
Dash-2
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
noralf wrote:Well..
The new Papyrus editor is bugging me now...
I have found out how to edit the roads, and have found many improvements.
But I have not found a way to remove unneeded junctions.... Suggestions anyone?
Depends on the editing rights you have in that area. If you have the rights then click on the junction, click on the recycle bin up top, click on the save icon.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Do the separated segments have the same details? Name, city, direction etc.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by gettingthere
Are their updated Aerials of the area where you are paving roads? If so, it may be more efficient to draw the roads in the map editor vs. paving them with the Application. This way you have greater control of the number of junctions and road points.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
If they are the aerial's in the Waze map editor, you can draw streets using them. Any others, likely no.

So paving may be your best option. But no way to the geometry nodes and junctions that are created when paving.

But since you have to go into the map editor to set the road type, name the road, junction, etc - it's really easy to use the keyboard shortcut 'd' to delete the extra geometry nodes. Also, you can draw the mouse while holding down the 'd' key to delete them wherever you are dragging the mouse, on the hi-lited segment. Really easy to remove them.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
noralf wrote:Is there an official way to add city names to a stretch of road without adding junctions?
I think I have found a way to do this. I just draw an unconnected road and naming it before connecting it to next segment of the road.

I would like to use the POI method and draw a perimeter around the villages or cities and define the city name inside that instead of using the road naming method. This would also make it possible to define a city and name the geographical (sub)areas of a city and classify them accordingly.
You are correct that the approach above does not work with junctions. Only geometry nodes.

There is no current way to draw a perimeter and change a field on every road within.

Regarding adding the city name to multiple road segments - you can select multiple segments with Ctrl-Mouse click and modify them all at one time.

I am not quite understanding why you need to add a junction to add a city name to a segment.

All road segments need to be junctioned otherwise Waze can not route on these roads that you are paving. If you have too many junctions due to using the paving method, you can remove unnecessary junctions by selecting the junction and deleting it. You can't delete a junction unless the road segments are the same. Country, City, Road name, and Road direction need to be set the same before you can remove the excess junction.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
noralf wrote:This sends me back to the phone client "problem" that I started this thread with. It produces lots and lots of junctions, totally unneeded, for miles and miles of road. It's a mess.... :-)
You just have to removed the ones you don't want in the editor. The paving mode is not 'smart enough' to understand where to junction roads and where not to junction roads. That is why you have to go in the map editor afterwards to fix it up.

Really I don't understand the big problem. You must go in the map editor anyway to add the Country, City, Road Type, Road Name, etc. Just remove the extra junctions when you are there editing the other details.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Although I suppose that the paving function should not add any junctions at all. I suppose that would make you happy?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message