The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by Riamus
Clearly, we wouldn't leave really old URs like you saw in 2012 or that I saw in Michigan when I started there this year. However, I do think that URs need to be left alone if they are being worked on so they can be properly finished. If an editor can FIX the problem, great. Otherwise, don't just mark things as Not Identified when there is a conversation unless it's been too long. There are map problems that we can't easily identify without additional information. If we just close everything so the editor looks "nice", then we aren't fixing the problems. URs and MPs do not show up in the client, so are only a clutter for editors. And editors have the option of using the URO plugin to hide anything that fits a wide variety of parameters so that the map IS uncluttered for them. You can hide old ones or ones with comments by other people or ones where you are the last person to comment or whatever else you might want. It works very well. If a fix can be made, I prefer to have it made even if it takes a little while than to just leave it there because the editor looks cluttered. If this affected the client, then that would be different.

Again, if you know what the fix is, that's fine... at least in my opinion. But closing them as Not Identified is not a good thing if a conversation is started. For that matter, anything that cannot be resolved without additional information should *always* have a conversations started in my opinion. No UR should just be closed as Not Identified without first trying to get enough information to solve it. We're here to fix problems and not ignore them. Sure, some things are going to get marked as Not Identified even with more information because they aren't real problems or we can't find a problem even with the additional information. But we should still try to get the information before closing it without changes.

I understand not wanting to see a sea of URs. I agree that they are a mess in some places. But we need to fix them and not just get rid of them.

If Waze wanted to make it so it would hide the UR from anyone other than the editor who started the conversation for X days so it's out of the way of everyone else, then that's fine. As you said however, they don't really make changes based on the forum. Of course, they do listen to the Champs (at least a little) and the Champs can suggest things that are suggested in the forums. A little indirect, but it can work. Also, note that they did change what they were going to do in regards to candies based on user comments in the forum. So they do pay at least some attention to the forum suggestions and opinions.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by Riamus
That's a good idea when closing any URs that become stale.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

robertonthego
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
-Robert
AM - Kern, Tulare, and Kings County

Post by robertonthego
DwarfLord wrote:
voludu2 wrote:Day 1: add 500 PLRs
Day 2: remove 500 PLRs
Day 3: promoted to rank 2.
Which is why, if I'm going to lock perimeter and arterial PLRs against getting connected to this stuff, I lock 'em at 3.
That's assuming they attempt to make the connections... this editor didn't even make the connections to the existing level one roads inside the mall. Heck, half of the stuff he added he didn't make the connections between. Just draw, draw, draw.
robertonthego
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
-Robert

Post by robertonthego
taco909 wrote: 1 - Required reading and completing a basic multiple-choice form
2 - RC approval for R2 promotions
3 - Increase minimum requirement to 5000 edits *AND* 90 days, or keep it at 1000 edits, but exclude PLR/PVT segment type.
4 - Deduct segments deleted by L3+ editors from their edit count.... 200 segment deletion = automatic flag, block from editing, and system-generated PM sent informing them to contact their RC with contact information for the RC. This would have a similar effect as increasing the required edit count.
5 - Requirement that editor have PM's enabled on the forum
I think at the very least, 1 and 5 would be great, easily implementable and solve at least most of the common issues especially if the test focused on the things L2's can typically work.

If you restricted the level two promotion much more, like a large increase in the required edits, etc I think you'll just get even more of the useless PLR's and place updates. I look at the current level two as the learning level while level one just gets your feet wet and vets out the people who generally don't have the desire to actually contribute long term. To promote out of level two, you're going to need to have a pretty good idea of what you're doing as it's going to take some effort to get from 1k to 25k edits AND have RC approval.

Also, with the way lock levels work in most major metro's it'd take forever for someone to promote from 1 to 2 if you excluded PVT/PLR's, you'd essentially be limiting them to adding places which is where you're seeing issues with existing level two's. I don't think forcing the level ones to just place updates would reduce that headache any.
robertonthego
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
-Robert

Post by rottielover
A sea of red roundabouts...

(NOTE: I have already contacted the offender and they have promised to clean up this mess.)

Ok instead of a permalink I should have taken a screenshot, so instead I will describe this situation to protect the guilty.

Every Cul-da-sac for a range of about 20 sq miles was turned into a round-about.... a RED roundabout .

:shock: then :evil: then :geek:
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///9EKWfE[/img] [img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]
Wiki Resources: Map Editing | To Do - St. Louis MO
To Do - Missouri | Missouri Mapping Resources | Missouri Forum

Post by rotus8
Landmark label for a reservoir in the California Santa Cruz mountains:

Lexington Damn
rotus8
Send a message

Post by rotus8
Yes, there's construction, but does it really look like this?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
rotus8
Send a message

Post by russblau
For those of you are feeling a little depressed this time of year, check out this permalink. For best results, highlight both Locks (red) and Unterminated Roads (lime). Now tick the Locks checkbox on and off, on and off, at a comfortable pace .... Season's Greetings in Waze-land!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by russblau
jdeyoung wrote:Just saw this from a new editor (already PM'ed them)
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-86.21 ... TT&env=usa
It is an eyecatcher....
It's amazing that they overlooked the parking lot on the other side of Comstock St!
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message