Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Waze 1.4 iPhone quick review

Post by robin1979
Hi guys,

Just a few comments on the latest iPhone version.
  • Labels are now in the direction of the road - I LOVE it! Great, great work. Some suggestions: make them more stable, they jump on/off like a stroboscope sometimes, even when standing still in traffic. Also, please do something about the city labels, they are annoying for some reason (and look out of place), maybe make them transparent, bigger or a different color.
  • I LOVE the map colors. However, highways have the same color as streets, please change that. Also, they don't work in night mode (I set my client to night mode everytime, it's easier to see, roads don't look washed out in that view, easier on the eyes.
  • Reporting a second speedcam crashes the app. First one goes through OK. Logs sent.
  • Still losing a lot of routes even with decent network connection
  • Makes the iPhone reboot occasionally. Might want to work with Apple on that one, no user mode app (even if it's an app bug) should crash the phone. Logs sent.
Thank you, Waze really is slowly becoming better and better.
robin1979

POSTER_ID:8677

Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by davenelson
I sync every morning, I have noticed that it takes longer but I am not experiencing anything like an hour. I had not thought about Waze being the cause.
davenelson
Send a message

Post by Feathers44
OK, that might explain the long sync yesterday (I don't sync often). Presumably the phone buffers a fair amount of map data and all of that will get backed up.

Has anyone heard of an iPhone mechanism for an app developer to mark data as 'not to be backed up'? That would seem appropriate in this case.
Feathers44
Send a message

Post by Lemon
robin1979 wrote: Also, another weird thing:
I was reading the comments on the new 1.4 version in the app store. One comment noted that syncing (iTunes) his iPhone after installing Waze took about an hour longer. Okay, lately my iPhone was taking about 3 hours to sync

Mine took about this long over the weekend as well...
Lemon
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c2/T ... ogo_sm.JPG
Nexus One | Waze 1.8.99.104 | 2007 Volkswagen GTI | Twin Cities Metro Area Manager | Northeast Iowa Area Manager

Post by robin1979
Sketch, I agree with you 100%. High contrast color schemes ftmfw!

Also, another weird thing:
I was reading the comments on the new 1.4 version in the app store. One comment noted that syncing (iTunes) his iPhone after installing Waze took about an hour longer. Okay, lately my iPhone was taking about 3 hours to sync, I really couldn't believe this was due to Waze. So I synced my phone yesterday, and timed it. Took just over 3 hours. Removed Waze, and synced my phone again. Just under 3 minutes. Installed Waze again, synced, and it took slightly longer (but close to the 3 minutes). After that, I started Waze, navigated (from my couch) to some random destinations, and after that, tried to sync it again. It took over one hour. :cry: :cry:
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by robin1979
Did anyone get that Foursquare stuff going?

I only get:
"Could not connect with Foursquare"
"PARSER: Unexpected data"
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by sketch
Oh yeah, the words in the directions of the roads are a huge improvement! I knew everything looked much better, but I couldn't put my finger on it... :D

And, I agree, we need more high-contrast colour schemes. Only one scheme separates both streets from primary streets/minor highways andfreeways and major highways from other highways and primary streets--Tutti-frutti--and at high zoom levels the pink freeways are hard to see. I think this is a generally great colour scheme, but the freeways need to be changed to something more visible.

The perfect colour scheme, in my mind, would use everything from Tutti-frutti except for the colour for freeways and major highways, which would come from The Blues. That would be perfect ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Yeah, I'd been suspecting that. My backups have lately been taking fifteen minutes or more, when usually they would take about fifteen seconds. Every time I sync, though, I sync twice (something weird about the way iScrobbler works), and the second sync is pretty much instant.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
davenelson wrote:I sync every morning, I have noticed that it takes longer but I am not experiencing anything like an hour. I had not thought about Waze being the cause.
I sync at least daily, and backups are taking ten minutes or so. They used to take about ten seconds, though.

Moving the map tiles into un-backed-up space would be excellent. I'd prefer to pull them down again after a full restore, anyway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Yeah, it's worked for me over half the times I've tried it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message