Would like to disable individual in-app alerts (reports)  Topic is solved

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff do not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Turn off vehicle parked on shoulder

Postby db22 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:48 pm

This alert is the most annoying thing about Waze. Aren't vehicles supposed to park on the shoulder? Nobody posts about the 20 cars around me on a freeway who are drunk, on the phone, putting make up on etc but they insist on telling me that a car is parked exactly where he is is supposed to be. People only post this nonsense to earn points because it is actually of no use.

Please allow the total deletion of this worthless alert.
db22

Let me turn certain notifications off PLEASE

Postby DocJekyll7 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:42 pm

I understand you want people to know about every single car stopped on the side of the road and for some people that might be helpful. I get it... but PLEASE for the love of god let me turn certain notifications off.

I need to know about police and traffic. Not roadkill, potholes, and stopped cars on the side. This stuff is seriously taking up most of my screen realestate now especially in landscape mode. It's very distracting. Also why did you make the notification icons smaller? Now I can barely see the police icons and have missed them several times because you've decreased the size. It would be nice if you let us control the size of the icons and which icons get displayed. I'm at a loss for why this isn't an option in settings by now... :roll:
DocJekyll7

Re: Would like to disable individual notifications

Postby DopeItUp » Mon May 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Just adding to the list. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed after being a problem for years. I average 5 "VEHICLE STOPPED ON SHOULDER" alerts each way on my commute. No one cares that there's a car in the breakdown lane, they are everywhere. Constant interruptions that I do not care about. It's a shame because it's such a good app otherwise.
DopeItUp

2 Questions

Postby DrRush7 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:25 pm

How do I change my work address? Nevermind.... I found this...

Is there any way to mute the option of hearing "vehicle stopped on shoulder ahead?"

Thanks for such an amazing app and community!
DrRush7

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Whatever else Waze does, I hope they can at least change the language from "vehicle stopped on shoulder ahead" to "vehicle BLOCKING shoulder ahead".

From Waze's perspective this would be a tiny cosmetic tweak, but for us, the increased severity and clarity of the report language could make a big impact on the overreporting of this issue. There's a big difference between "on" the shoulder and "blocking" the shoulder.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:27 pm

What the Waze developers intended, I would guess, was for "vehicle stopped on shoulder" to mean "vehicle BLOCKING shoulder". Why they didn't simply say that I don't know.

In any event, as far as I'm concerned, if the vehicle isn't BLOCKING the shoulder then it is "Not There".
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:22 pm

I-Hate-Traffic wrote:Vehicle blocking shoulder? I'm not even sure what that means?

Blocking, as in occupying, as in obstructing, as in dangerously close to passing cars, as in were you to drift absentmindedly onto the shoulder you would hit it.

To me a vehicle that is occupying the shoulder less than a car's width from the solid white line is indeed a potential hazard. Not only because, if your attention is elsewhere, like fussing with some silly mapping app :lol:, you might drift slightly off the road and sideswipe or hit it; but also because such vehicles are often accompanied by people out of the car trying to fix a flat or get it on a tow truck or whatever.

So, I would say that things on the other side of the solid white line can indeed be hazards worth looking out for, if they're close enough.

But the nomenclature "vehicle stopped on shoulder" has led Wazers to report things wayyy on the other side of the white line that are not hazards, and now the warning is useless through overuse.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby electrosaur » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:45 am

While we wait for Waze I've resorted to a crude hack that silences the vehicle-stopped-on-shoulder alert. If you have a ROM unlocked Android phone (may also need root but maybe not) then it may work for you as well. YMMV and standard disclaimers. Waze stores a mapping from the alert text phrase to the sound file for that alert in a sqlite3 database called tts.db. Find the name of the file and replace it with a 0 length file and you kill the audible portion of the alert. Deleting the file doesn't work: Waze resorts to "hazard on road ahead" instead. Of course this fix will only last until the next update or until you change the voice. if there's interest I'll post the gory details and magic incantations.
electrosaur

Postby electrosaur » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:48 am

BeThereRealSoon wrote:Sounds very interesting. I would be interested in the details.

Need Android SDK and tools from https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html specifically adb and sqlite3.
Make sure phone is in developer mode and has USB debugging enabled.
Connect phone to computer.

1. Make sure computer can see your phone.
    Code: Select all
    adb devices

should produce some output like
    List of devices attached
    05086569828d9363 device
  2. Reboot into recovery mode
    adb reboot revovery
  3. Find all the tts.db files
    adb shell
    find / -name tts.db -print 2>/dev/null

This should produce output of the form:
    /sdcard/waze/tts/tts.db
    /data/media/0/waze/tts/tts.db
    Quit the adb shell.
    exit
  4. Copy a tts.db to your computer
    If find reports multiple tts.db file just pick one.
    adb pull <path-to-tts.db-file>

<path-to-tts.db-file> should be one of the paths reported by find.
    In my case:
    adb pull /sdcard/waze/tts/tts.db
  5. Open tts.db with sqlite3 and find the path and name of the shoulder audio
    sqlite3 tts.db

.tables

The output from .tables is dependent on the voice you are using. In my case its Jane.
    select path from <TABLE> where text = 'watch out, vehicle stopped on shoulder ahead';

where <TABLE> is the output of .tables. Output from abobe will be a line like:
    database//Jane//1453855930-139927-6.tts
    Exit from sqlite3
    .quit
  6. Replace the shoulder audio files with 0 length files
    The path of the shoulder audio files is relative to the location of the tts.db file.
    So in my case they are
    /sdcard/waze/tts/database/Jane/1453855930-139927-6.tts
    /data/media/0/waze/tts/Jane/1453855930-139927-6.tts
    You can construct the paths on your phone from 3 and 5 above.
    Now to replace these files by 0 length files.
    adb shell
    rm <tts-file>
    touch <tts-file>

where <tts-file> is one of the paths as described above. In my case:
    /sdcard/waze/tts/database//Jane//1453855930-139927-6.tts
    Repeat for each tts.db file found in 3. Finally quit the adb shell
    exit
  7. Reboot phone
    adb reboot
electrosaur

Postby f3506 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Add me to the list of those who hate the car on shoulder notification. Even if you turn off hazard notifications this still shows up. I see this useless message 100 times a week. It's enough to make me start looking into other apps. I'll trade all my waze points for the ability to be able to turn this off.
f3506

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests