Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by paulkok_my
sketch wrote:To avoid further confusion, I posit that the accepted language for turns should be "allowed" and "restricted." Using "enabled" can lead to confusion—"is the turn 'enabled', or is the restriction 'enabled'?" The word refers more to the state of a control rather than anything in reality.
Agreed. So in order for JNF to work, one of the turns MUST be allowed in order for it to work. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
paulkok_my  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by paulkok_my
CTGreybeard wrote:
paulkok_my wrote:Agreed. So in order for JNF to work, one of the turns MUST be allowed in order for it to work. :D
I don't think so. Try this:

Create a new segment that attaches to an existing segment. It naturally does NOT have and end-node that JNF would add.

Click the junction node where the new segment attaches to the existing road.

DISALLOW All Turns.

Check each of the three segments that No turns are allowed.

Highlight the new junction node and Press Q

JNF "fixes" the unterminated segment even though No Turns are allowed at the connecting node.

I'm not familiar with the old Cartouche interface but, from what I have been able to gather, that interface actually deleted turns when they were disallowed. This could lead to a node with no turn instances at all. And the script needed those turn instances to discover the problem segment. It appears that the current interface leaves disallowed turns in place but marks them as disallowed. Therefore the script has the turn instance to reference and can do its "magic" whether the turn is allowed or now, it's still listed at the node as a turn.
You are right. I've tried your method and it works but I really did face it a few times when JNF did not work when I click the "Q" button. And when I checked, all the turns for that particular node was disallowed. When I allowed one turn, then JNF works.

Strange I'm not facing it now.
paulkok_my  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by paulkok_my
paulkok_my wrote:
CTGreybeard wrote:
paulkok_my wrote:Agreed. So in order for JNF to work, one of the turns MUST be allowed in order for it to work. :D
I don't think so. Try this:

Create a new segment that attaches to an existing segment. It naturally does NOT have and end-node that JNF would add.

Click the junction node where the new segment attaches to the existing road.

DISALLOW All Turns.

Check each of the three segments that No turns are allowed.

Highlight the new junction node and Press Q

JNF "fixes" the unterminated segment even though No Turns are allowed at the connecting node.

I'm not familiar with the old Cartouche interface but, from what I have been able to gather, that interface actually deleted turns when they were disallowed. This could lead to a node with no turn instances at all. And the script needed those turn instances to discover the problem segment. It appears that the current interface leaves disallowed turns in place but marks them as disallowed. Therefore the script has the turn instance to reference and can do its "magic" whether the turn is allowed or now, it's still listed at the node as a turn.
You are right. I've tried your method and it works but I really did face it a few times when JNF did not work when I click the "Q" button. And when I checked, all the turns for that particular node was disallowed. When I allowed one turn, then JNF works.

Strange I'm not facing it now.
I finally found a node that has soft turn which JNF cannot solve here with all turns disallowed.

Another soft turn node here with partial turns allowed also cannot be solved by the JNF.
paulkok_my  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by paulkok_my
From my experience a segment with unknown direction cannot be solved by JNF. You need to click on the segment and change it to a 2 way.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
paulkok_my  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by paulkok_my
Mike-1323 wrote:I think that if it is a dead end road then JNF will set it as 2-way. If it is an unknown direction with both ends connected to other segments then JNF doesn't change the direction.
You are right about the dead end road. Thanks :mrgreen:
paulkok_my  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by paulkok_my
Fredo-p wrote:Getting a failed API alert in Beta.
I'm also getting that.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
paulkok_my  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by paulwelch23
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bedo2991 wrote:Wouldn't it be safer to use another key instead of Q??? :D

Today I accidentally found out I was restricting all turns in a roundabout instead of fixing its nodes. (Running JNF on Tampermonkey on Chrome, LMDE). Now I'm running it natively and doesn't seem to always work (the turns are not denied but the nodes aren't fixed).
Why safer? JNF doesn't make any changes to turn restrictions and only fixes problems.
I think he is saying that it can be destructive if the script gets disabled, unbeknownst to the editor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
paulwelch23
Send a message
Paul M. Welch, PE

Tennessee-based CM, focusing on Middle / East TN and Memphis
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by PhantomSoul
I just want to add in that if we start enabling u-turns en masse all over the map just because you technically "can" turn around safely in like, any driveway, for example, it might also produce the side effect of u-turn rerouting, which, from the advertising features of many other navigation systems, many people hate. This effect happens when you deliberately go a different way than the navigator suggests and then the navigator keeps telling you to make a u-turn to go back to that missed turn for every segment over and over again until you drive far enough for it to consider the next highway (or primary street) is closer than doubling-back. Personally, I can't stand when a navigation program does that.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
sketch wrote:
drive4fun2me wrote:it would be great if JNF could also automatically add u-turn at the end of the dead-end road, as obviously there has to be a way to get out of a dead end road :)
This isn't actually a good idea. You don't want U turns at the end of dead end roads, generally.

I've seen, personally and in the forums, instances where routing will think going down a dead-end and turning around at the end is better than finding some other legal route.

If you're going the wrong way down a dead-end, Waze will give you a route line and tell you to proceed to the highlighted route, basically.
This also frequently causes the MPs where the user didn't follow the given route to turn into the dead end to turn around and go back. Most drivers hate this kind of navigation.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
If so, I hope it's only available to CMs. I, for one, would not want anyone not familiar with the side effects and pitfalls of en masse QW editing to be able to do this.

In fact, I would suggest that for any non-AM editor, you shouldn't be able to use JNF at all on any junction that has at least 1 hard-disabled turn on it, while AM's should have to click past a warning. This way it's harder to JNF bomb people's edits.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message