Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by voludu2
dude463 wrote:an editor traced entire drives as one segment over existing segments.
Is this a common editing error "drawing roads on top of other roads"?

I have seen it a couple of times from editors who could not figure out how to set turn arrows or edit road geometry, but not all that often.

Yes it is a pain in the butt. I have had to go destructo in practice mode just to figure out what happened. Sometimes there are more than two layers. Connected to each other in very weird ways. WME does not make it very easy to spot.

A tool to separately list all segments within a polygon with Permalink or highlighting would be very helpful. The data store extension can do this if you can zoom in far enough.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
2. -- come up with a guidance, post it in all the "official" places, with explanation, so at least when someone's trail is removed they understand why (and why not in the case of "wazers on trails" situations). This will seem fair to most reasonable editors.

"incorrect edits" is probably not the topic for a discussion of "global walking trails guidance" or "US walking trails guidance". So I would suggest a new topic, with links from here to there. Once global, or even US, guidance is established, the walking trails section of "incorrect edits" will practically write itself.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I revived the moribund discussion.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
sketch wrote:Walking trails" as they are used (i.e., for routing) are necessary in a number of cases. I'm in favor of "don't mess with them"-style guidance for that reason.
In general, when we find "walking trails" on the map, they are placed by editors who want to represent trails meant for walking or hiking, and possibly also for bicycling or horseback riding. Because they assume names of things have useful meanings, and because, in general, these walking and hiking trails are not built from boards. But I think, before discussing what to put into "incorrect edits" this should all be cleared up in the source document -- road types.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
"Don't add or confirm a HN unless the HN stop point at the street is correct. If the stop point ought to be via a side road, delete the HN from the segment if it exists. Use a point place instead. If addres searching is required, a residential point place with the correct address is the only Waze solution."
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I agree. Keep it simple and to the point, get the correct information out ASAP. Keep the other editor on your side. Reduce the risk of drama and cut to the chase.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Seems more or less reasonable. If the state or region has a policy different from the US policy posted on the places wiki page, it should be so stated in the state's or region's wiki page. Even if it refers the reader to the forum or some other resource.

In that first paragraph, I might suggest
First, ensure you are familiar with local standards for Area Places. Some states or regions might follow slightly different guidelines for Area Places.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I agree. That section can probably be cut down. The current wording really does make it sound as though we have some very autocratic "very senior" editors. That would be a big negative for our community.
voludu2
Send a message