Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.
Post by taco909
CBenson wrote:So if you choose the address from the autocomplete results waze chooses the closest point to the Google pin (in the absence of a waze house number) on the named street,

while if you choose the address from the waze tab waze chooses the closest point on any street.
This seems to be the inverse of how it used to work, or is this referring to the same Google point, just selected from the Waze tab vs the Google tab?

If there is a Waze address pin that has been confirmed, will it be auto-selected over the other sources?
In my experience, the user's solution of adding a residential place with the address has worked to solve problems like this. I don't know why the added residential place is not overriding the Google results.
What happens if we have all three... Residential place, Confirmed address pin, and a Google pin?
I'm trying to learn of a solid solution for the common airport/golf course problem.
Often, airports can be handled by ensuring that no PLRs or "service roads" are mapped closer to the center than the terminal, but golf courses are unique because they most often dogleg (maybe multiple times) through residential areas, so it is impossible to make sure that the PLRs at the clubhouse are closer to the physical center than a neighboring street.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
I'm curious what data sources Garmin and other commercial products use, and how their search/routing method differs from Waze, as they don't seem to have these issues (though routing into PLRs is hit and miss).
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
CBenson wrote:My understanding is that problem is essentially solved by the use of residential places. Waze does route to end points on different streets than the address street for residential places . There is a bug where the residential places don't seem to always override the Google location. But if that bug is solved then this seems to be much less of a problem.
And businesses?
If the business has no address information entered, then obviously it is going to route to the nearest street to the stop point (and I've spent many hours correcting stop points on area places including parks, schools, golf courses, municipal airports, etc....)
But a month or so back, I recall reading that if there is an address, the stop point becomes the named street nearest the stop point like Waze address pins, rather than the PLR or neighboring street.
Or was this a temporary glitch in the implementation?

And for place points added from the app... they generally include the street but perhaps no address, how are those presently handled?

Also related, parks can be a challenge, because they may have multiple acceptable entrances.
In the case of a large park that has driveable roads linking the entrances, then it is simply a matter of centering the stop point near a PLR and ensuring that all entrances are linked.
But what about the smaller community parks that have no driveable roads?
Some have multiple parking lots, some simply have entrances with on-street parking.

What I have done in some cases is split the park into two or three sections, each with a stop point on their own parking lot or entrance, and add an alt name such as "Greenwood Community Park 1st Street"
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
CBenson wrote:The problem I have with airports/golf courses is that if the names of the waze place and the Google POI don't match exactly, the Google place is still displayed in the autocomplete results typically before the waze result.
Revisiting this....

I may have mentioned this before, but I think a perfect solution for this kind of situation would be for Waze to enable a new "road" type.

"Fence" or "Perimeter"
A non-routable (period, no penalties involved) segment that defines a barrier that can not be crossed by the routing engine.
Not rendered on the app, only visible within WME.
Any stop point within the perimeter is forced to route via the segment(s) that pass through the opening(s).

To add to the tool kit, in the same manner that Toolbox can create a Roundabout Area Place using the segments as the perimeter, a new tool that could use the perimeter of an existing area place to create these perimeter segments, automatically broken where routable segments cross the perimeter.

This golf course isn't the best example since its parking lot is actually somewhat centered, but what we see in most cases on courses like this is the clubhouse is at one end or the other... those can never be made to properly route using the Google pin.... but being able to "fence off" the perimeter of the area would cause routing to work properly no matter what location result is used.
golfcourse.jpg
(29.18 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
Added benefit, it would allow for much simplification of some of the complex PLR "guard roads" that are often needed where a business complex backs up against a housing complex causing cross-routing, particularly in situations where there are no alleys between the complexes that allow for guard roads, or where only one is available but the guard road itself ends up pulling in routing from the other side.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
ArthurUSCG wrote:This might be beneficial for Goverment/Military facilities. There are a few where if you search by the build / agency name WAZE takes you to the nearest road which has no access to inside the instillation.
Absolutely.
Airports, country clubs, even some business parks.

I've worked URs where the driver was directed onto a freeway onramp to access a Costco.
Those are simple enough to fix with a guard road surrounding the building to "capture" the point, but one must be careful that this guard road does not also grab the point for a neighboring business.

Simply "fencing" the property line will provide correct routing to either side regardless of the complexity (or lack of) of the PLR network within the property. It would allow us to forego the guard road at the rear of the property, which often is not intended for general public use and often signed "no through traffic"
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Alan's statement is not in conflict with the Wiki.
There are Google address pins, Waze HNs, and Waze place points, public and private.

Waze HN will *only* route to the stop point on the parent street. It makes no difference where you drag the actual number to... example, there really is no need to "force" an address to make it appear in the grey area further away from the road than WME would normally allow... Waze is not going to route someone to the location of that number even if there is a PLR.

This is the reason for the Wiki entry, as the Waze HN overrides the Google pin. The Google pin will pull someone in from the nearest segment, regardless of the name of the road.
The Waze "place" will do the same, and if we can get the name of the Waze place to match the Google pin, then there is a higher probability that the user will select the Waze place over the Google pin and be routed properly.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
PealRinger wrote:
taco909 wrote:Alan's statement is not in conflict with the Wiki.
The wiki clearly says we should do nothing in WME and rely on the Google address pin.
The Wiki says not to use a Waze House Number.

Waze House number /= Waze Place

It does not say "do nothing in WME"... it says to avoid using a house number.
If one is present, it should be deleted.
which would mean that time spent adding Places would be wasted when this feature is introduced.
Places ARE "this feature" ;)
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich