Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.
Post by bhartman
You all can see the stop point by asking waze to route you to 200 e end ave, 10128.
I was the lowly L1 who corrected the 1-way-ness of this block a few months ago. Apparently someone didn't like me editing it and locked my segment after I did that, but not reversing what I'd done.

Taco909 has a good point about avoiding the 'round the block problem, but only if you're approaching from the south. When I approach the building, usually I'm coming from 90th st, turning right onto east end, and then having Waze incorrectly tell me to go past my entrance and make a turn onto 89th.

So if the last editor did change the stop point, they created an unintended consequence.
Anyway, although it's a very specific problem to me, I think it's interesting to discuss all the permutations this brings up. Thanks all.
bhartman
Send a message

Post by bhartman
but google maps routes correctly to east end. it's waze that is wrong and i can't change that
bhartman
Send a message

Post by bhartman
Since it's a 2 lock and i'm a 1, i can't change the location of the house number. I guess I could nudge the google pin closer to east end. By the way, I've made a lot of map changes, but editing level is based on fixing other people's problems?
bhartman
Send a message

Post by bhartman
1000 to make level 2? That's a heapload! I don't know how y'all do it.
bhartman
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Taco909 wrote:In my experience, in your screen shot, simply pulling the address pin for 13 back to the lawn should be enough to push the routing to that road.
Not true. Waze routes only to the street the house number is set to, if Waze uses the Waze result for the address. If Waze uses or the user chooses the Google marker for the address, then Waze will route to the closest Waze segment to the lat/lon returned by Google.
There are currently a bunch of caveats for how this is working for me. Waze does not route to the closest Waze segment to the lat/lon returned by Google if I select the autocomplete result or a result from the Google tab. Rather, Waze will route to the closest point to the lat/lon returned by Google on the Waze segment with the street name searched for. However the results on the Waze tab can come from either the Waze data or the Google data depending on whether there is an exact match in the Waze data or not. If I select a Waze result from the Waze tab, I am routed to the Waze stop point. If I select a Google result from the Waze tab, I am routed to the closet Waze segment to the lat/lon returned by Google.

Regardless, I agree moving the Waze pin never has any effect, as only the Waze stop point is used for routing.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Taco909 wrote:Other than moving the Waze pin "activates" it as compared to the untouched imported, right?
So it would not matter where it is moved to (assuming you are holding the stop point), just that it be "touched"

Or are the imported address pins sufficient as-is? I've always heard that they need to be "bumped" to activate them over the default Google pin.
Correct, they need to be touched/bumped to be used.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Taco909 wrote:Will a place point marked "Bob's Alternators, 123 Main" (actual address 123 Main Ste 5-C) route properly if it is placed on the PLR at the back of the complex?
As Kobes1878 basically said only if the user selects the Bob's Alternator that you added. I've not seen the address input in the places have any effect on address searches.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Are you saying that currently waze routes you to a stop point around the corner on 89th and it should be on East End? Or are you saying waze routes to East End but the stop point should be around the corner on 89th (if so why)?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I do see the issue here now. The Google pin for 200 East End Ave, New York, NY" is closer to 89th than East End. The waze address pin hasn't been touched. So if you choose the search result from the waze tab you are routed to around the corner to 89th. It seems to me that simply "touching" the address in the WME layer (that is moving it slightly and saving) should solve this issue. However, it might be good to get input from someone who actually edits in New York City as I'm not sure how the use of the boroughs (or counties or whatever the city names actually are) effect address searches.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Taco909 wrote:
CBenson wrote:
Taco909 wrote:If you are saying that your stop point SHOULD be on 89th, then that is the topic of this thread and currently can only be done by deleting the address pin and adding a "Place" pin.
I don't think this is going to work to change the routing for a search for "200 East End Ave, New York, NY."
Even with the pin addressed correctly, you think it will grab the Google pin instead?
Then the only solution is to slip the Google pin to 89th.

Obviously, no easy solutions on this or the OP would not have started the thread.
Oops, I didn't think I had posted that. I must have had posted and hit edit. Sorry about changing it after posting.

But to answer the question. I think that waze parses the searches differently depending on whether the search is determined to be a POI search or an address search. Thus, I'm guessing that if you search for "200 East End Ave, New York, NY" and there is no match in the waze address data, waze will simply look to the Google address data. I don't think waze will look to the place data for an address search.

On the other hand if the problem is with a business and you are search for a business name, then the place should help.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message