Post by petervdveen
llayden wrote:Because I think its a great idea with a lousy implementation and I'd like to hear from the people that designed it, what their plans/explanations are for the current state of the thing. I don't like giving up.
I think you have a good point here. There is just one problem and that's the way of telling us here.;)

The thing is. The basic function of waze is navigating. And as long as there is a good map the navigating work perfectly. So the main functions work. Besides that you have a lot of smaller functions (like the point, the android widget, ect.) Even in my opinion the map editor is a side function.

If you want them the deliver a perfect working product they in the first place should have started with a few million dollars;)
In reality they started with three people somewhere in the desert ;)
I think they've done very weel till now.

But now come's the next step. Improving the system you have. And that's quiet difficult, because they also have to keep the normal system running.

If you have some great idea's about how to improve the system and functionalities, I'm sure that would be highly appreciated.
If you only come here to shout that it's rubbish and it will never work, then I think you can better leave.
BTW I don't beleave that 90% of the people who downloaded the program never uses it.
I think it's around 75%.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by petervdveen
DropBox wrote:Wow! Anyone that questions why waze is not working is answered nastily.
What makes you think waze isn't working?
I know that thousands of people are using it every day and are very happy with it.
What a bunch of douchbags!
Thanks 8-)
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
It will improve, for sure.
It has worked very well for a few months.

My routes were uploaded within a few hours and my update were handled within 24-48 hours.
But unfortunately a few weeks ago there was a increase of users waze has never dealed with before. That's the reason the server's are too busy at the moment, but it will catch up and I never noticed anything to be lost. It's not nice that it's that slow at the moment, but it's also not to bad I think..

It has been wors :P
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
cmarx75 wrote:
petervdveen wrote:It will improve, for sure.
It has worked very well for a few months.
I really hope it will, there's a lot of potential. Crowdsourcing can be very powerful.
It has allways, so this time it will also get back to normal.
As always, honest communication is key. I've read the info on status.waze.com, but it's not very specific. I would like to see a better overview of what functions are currently not working properly and for how long this is expected to last, at least a rough estimate would be nice. Then I would know I don't have to look for any misconfiguration on my side. For example, there is an entry about the dashboard not updating, but there is another entry that this has been fixed, which clearly isn't the case. So I didn't know why I was having problems.
Communication isn't what waze is best in.
In the past this was really bad and no one ever new what was going on and that really improved, but I also think they have a long way to go still.

On the world server (Everyting exept Israël and US/canada) the dashboard should be allright.
The last update was 2 days ago.

Are you sure your on the right server?

The livemap on the world server isn't updated for a week, but that's another problem that happens sometimes. But that will catch up also.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
rlpl wrote:I've read this sentence few times already but where can you see those new users? I have not noticed more of them than usually. Are they in USA or in the world servers?
It's on the www server.
That's the reason the world server dashboard isn't affected.
The live map has a problem, but that's a different problem.

Here is a graph that's on the android market that shows the users increase (downloads of the last 30 days):
https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht= ... 7C%7C2:%7C
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
cmarx75 wrote:I'm on world.waze.com. I guess the waze app on my phone is on the correct server automatically?
It's the third day today that I use waze, but my dashboard shows only zeroes and my recent routes window is empty.
Ah, I see.
Your automaticly on the right server indeed. It's based on your gps.

The last routes that were updated in my dashboard is 26th and the points were updated on the 27th.
That's why your still on 0 ;)
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by qwiksilver
Points are your worry?

I am more worried about that illegal and dangerous left turn in Hollywood. For some reason Waze routes me around to it when going straight and making a right will get me home....safely.

Or how about that right turn in Arcadia that has you plunging off a bridge?

Carmeggedon was not fixed by Waze. Everyone stayed home. It was Carmaheaven. There was no one on any freeway.

Phantom streets in the middle of no where.

And there are all the phantom traffic jams. I brace for bad traffic and the freeway is clear.

Well, I guess Waze is a toy. Ok, I would worry about points if you put it that way.
qwiksilver
Send a message
Drive first; waze second.

Save a life.

Post by ravedave
Just a number of questions...
Who cares if waze is on it's last legs?
Did you pay for this absolutely fabulous app?
Is it THAT MUCH worse than gmaps (for instance)?
Which GPS app is the most fun to use?
Which GPS app gives you a future prediction? (traffic conditions up ahead)

Come on guys! Waze had some problems a couple of weeks ago. My map updates are starting to show on my client. Live with it.......... It's not like you are paying for your points......

I was the top weekly user until the evening before the crash!!!!

Guess what I lost?

The opportunity to have a gold WAZE profile logo, and a couple of thousand of points.

And guess what...

I AM STILL ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Dx.
ravedave
Send a message
AM of a TINY part of Kempton Park, Ekurhuleni, South Africa. Check this space

Post by RickW-NC
I would double check some of those permissions. I decided it was time to get my 500 mile candy and did 375 miles one day and about 150 2 days later. The 150 route posted, I have editing rights for the 375 miles but they never posted and I have never been near those roads before. I got my candy 2 days later and of course that has not posted either. This was just prior to Carmageddon which I never thought might cause a disruption!!! I used to think I knew how the system worked but much has changed. I thought the little checkbox in the archive that says updated meant the update map had been modified and I would have permission soon. I don't have a clue now but when the livemap comes out the update map looks right again. Waze on.
p.s. We should all thank Dash Express for teaching the wrong way to do this!!!
RickW-NC
Send a message
Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 Waze 3.1.0.0 (Crown, AM)

Post by rlpl
100% agree with gettingthere.
petervdveen wrote:If you have some great idea's about how to improve the system and functionalities, I'm sure that would be highly appreciated.
I think it has been told many times but if not here are my ideas:
  • Have the test servers and test systems, do the tests before releasing the new versions of the software.
  • Do not test on the production servers, do not publish the new untested versions.
  • If you publish the new version and it turns out that it does not work then have a way to downgrade to the previous version which worked.
  • Do not publish the new versions last day before the weekend or other holiday.
  • Do not leave the buggy version published if it does not work.
  • Do not assume that from now there will be no more bugs. Prepare for them.
  • Have the the scripts performing some tasks automatically, e.g., launching the new map rebuild when the previous is ready or restarting the server when it hangs.
  • Keep the promises, don't say "it will be fixed soon" if it will not. "Soon" means today or tomorrow, next week is not "soon".
  • And the most important again: do the tests.
Some people say that tests are waste of time. But if you don't test then you waste the time, too, and also you waste your reputation.
petervdveen wrote:But unfortunately a few weeks ago there was a increase of users waze has never dealed with before.
I've read this sentence few times already but where can you see those new users? I have not noticed more of them than usually. Are they in USA or in the world servers?

Why more users make problem? I think that more users would mean more load for the routing servers, also for road reports and points. But why the new maps are not published? As far as I know the waze staff has discovered some severe bugs which disable routing at some areas and decided that publishing the new maps with buggy software does not make sense because the routing will not work. It's fine that they decided so but bad that they cannot fix the problem and have no workaround. It has nothing to do with the new users.
rlpl
Send a message
My previous login name was rl_pl.