These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

How do I turn off the 'car stopped on shoulder' alert?

Post by
How do I turn off the 'car stopped on shoulder' alert?

The only notifications that I have turned on in settings (in the app) ----> display settings -----> show on map are...
Traffic Layer, Speed Cams, and Police

Thanks,

Android 4.4.2, Waze 3.8.1.0, Samsung Galaxy S III Mini

Post by Edward50095
When you find out, let me know.
Edward50095

Post by dude463
I wish you could. I usually click Not There if it's not impeding traffic or any other hazard. It is useful when there's someone right on the fog line.
dude463
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.

Post by dude463
Yep, there's tons of requests to turn that off if you do a search. Sadly it's still there.
dude463
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.

Post by Edward50095
I thought you were onto something, but I already have "hazards" turned off.

I still get "vehicle on shoulder", "rain/fog ahead", neither of which I want at all.

I have "road construction" unchecked, and still get that too.
Edward50095

Post by Froggypwns
Yea they can't be turned off as far as I know. I drive with Waze muted and just mark every car on shoulder as not there, regardless if it is or not. That and the weather hazards are just a distraction, I can't report "car stopped on road" which is the real hazard.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager

Post by GooberKing
I think it's less about selfishness and more about cleaning up after point hounds. My benchmark has always been this: If the vehicle is close enough to the nearest lane such that anyone trying to get out of the car would potentially be in the road, I leave it be. Of course, this is rarely true on the highway because breakdown lanes are, by design, large enough to accommodate most vehicles without endangering their passengers.

What blows my mind is that people will gladly report vehicles well in the breakdown lane, but they never seem to report cars stopped on shoulders of local roads, which are far more dangerous than someone changing a flat tire on I-95.
GooberKing  
State Manager
State Manager

State Manager of Rhode Island (and also Connecticut)
RI Wiki | RI To Do List

Post by FDNYLad58
I'm new to Maryland and find that people pull over to the side of the road more then anywhere else in the USA that I've driven. I think they pull over to do oil changes, polish the car, talk with friends in other cars as well as answer the cellphone. None of these, "car stopped on the shoulder" alerts are useful or necessary for my safety. Occasionally, there is a car half on the road and half on the shoulder and these reports are welcome, however, this can be called a "Hazard" which would get my attention much quicker. I wish this particular, "car stopped on the shoulder..." report could be turned off by the user so when there is an important voice alert it's taken seriously. Maybe there should be no points assigned to this report.
FDNYLad58

Post by dbraughlr
The issue might be that reports on highways are confirmed by more Wazers.
On a street, there are fewer Wazers and possibly no one to confirm the report.

A car stopped on the road is not on the shoulder. It is an object on the road.
dbraughlr

Post by kentsmith9
I am consolidating all the feature requests related to vehicle stopped on shoulder and too many alerts to this one thread.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Post by Fishing66
WATCH OUT! VEHICLE STOPPED ON SHOULDER AHEAD! In other news, beer is good.
Fishing66