Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by coconha
hi mcneo,

I read again you priority list, but I am not sure I totally agree with it. Let me explain...
I agree that getting the connectivity right is the first important thing. It is very nice when you can already perform a "Get Directions" on the life map and see that all roads between those 2 points are correctly connected.

However, I do not agree with leaving naming for last. For example, to uniquely identify an address, in Australia one needs number, street, suburb and state. Currently some of us have being coding the "city" field with a suburbs-state pair. Once Waze guys implement the state field, they will be able to split our existing suburbs-state pairs in their database for us (i.e. http://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1624)

Therefore, having a few early streets with the "city" label, lets the Waze client new road paving functionality automatically label the "city" field correctly in 95% of brand new streets. That seems to save a lot of manual entry work.
coconha
Send a message

Post by coconha
Hi NathanLi, I think I saw in some of the posts from sketch that you could email alpha and ask them to do the renaming for you.
coconha
Send a message

Post by coconha
Hi, did a bit of research on the topic of road classification. If anyone is interested please check http://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 7bc#p17356
coconha
Send a message

Post by Echomon
Just thought I would pop in here and say "Hi!"

If anyone is wondering, I'm in S/E Victoria. 8-)
Echomon
Send a message

Post by fuzzyBSc
I actually don't bother paving anymore, but instead I check the map editor every so often and particularly when I have been driving in an unusual area. You can use your past GPS traces to create roads directly in the editor - just click the trace and select the option to create road.
fuzzyBSc
Send a message

Post by geekitup
@matt

You're not the only one in Bendigo now :)

Cheers,
Kym
geekitup
Send a message

Post by hawknz
Hey purp_p1,

I have the same problem too. Waze tells me I can edit 2607 km2 but like you, I'm having to scroll a lot of land between Brisbane & Northern NSW which makes it hard when you're trying to map out new roads. On the old cartouche you could scroll out further, but not in the new version. Hopefully they'll fix this limitation on the next release.

IMO I have found the updates to appear on the client around 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately as the s/w editors of Waze do this voluntary, they get around to fixing the bugs & things when they can. Waze still has a long way to go in so far as efficient routing, mapping, etc...
I personally believe they should have purchased the road maps already in place and then run it with Wazers. There are not enough wazers in Oz to really make a impact on mapping roads. :(
hawknz
Send a message
Brisbane, Queensland, AUSTRALIA
AM: SE QLD
Waze 3.5.3.0 • Samsung Galaxy S2 • Android 4.1.2
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by hawknz
purp_p1 wrote:It really seems that waze will never really be ideal outside the cities until internet connectivity is everywhere....
Oh I don't know, it did reasonably well when I did a run from Brisbane to Evans Head, NSW, there were a few blank tiles on the map, however when I tried to Pave the road, it couldn't find a internet connection, so I missed out paving the return run via the tourist route. At least the scenery was nice! :)

Agreed, there are still a lot of bugs in the Android client which need fixing, and no doubt on iOS too. I personally don't use Waze when routing out a destination (got a proper GPS navigator for that), but I'm sure it will get better as the s/w and algorithms for routing are improved.
hawknz
Send a message
Brisbane, Queensland, AUSTRALIA
AM: SE QLD
Waze 3.5.3.0 • Samsung Galaxy S2 • Android 4.1.2
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by jcleeland
Hi everyone,

I'm in Melbourne - I've been mapping the East and the North! It really _IS_ addictive.

I'm looking forward to seeing other cars driving about!

Jason
jcleeland
Send a message

Post by jerren
Hi People,

If you are looking for better aerials look up googze, it is a script that allows you to use google maps in the cartouche on Google Chrome or Firefox.

Makes a massive difference to your mapping ability
jerren
Send a message
Area Manager - Perth - IPad