Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by jubbp
Hello from Western Australia!!
jubbp
Send a message

Post by karjan
Hey, just joined up a week ago. Mapped most of the main streets in my suburb (Parmelia/Kwinana)
Seen you around the place a few times aualby, but you dont have a ping-able client yet :lol:

Been good fun so far getting km's logged and roads created, altho I'm pretty sure my wife thinks Im crazy now. (If she didn't already!)

Seeyas on the road.

Edit: who is the area manager for Perth? Excuse the spam of roads to be deleted ;)
karjan
Send a message
Waze on Android, Motorola Milestone | Golf MKV GTI

Post by KevinYank
aubrianpeters wrote:only thing I miss is accurate house numbers, but all in good time, just add the regular ones I need in, like home.
I was taking the same approach, but I’ve discovered that even though you can use the old Cartouche editor to add house numbers to the map, they are not used in navigation by the client apps.

The only ways to navigate to a particular spot on a road are to search for and locate a specific Point of Interest, or to tap and hold that spot on the map then choose to go there (or save it as a favourite).
KevinYank
Send a message

Post by kevstark
G'day All,
Has anyone come across difficulty with creating new maps in areas without data reception? I've done a couple of trips through central Queensland recently and have found that most of my roads never turned up in Cartouche. I think there's also a bug in waze that corrupts the new recorded road data after 60km or so. Most of the roads I travel don't have intersections for 200km or so and 90% of that is out of signal coverage (thanks to droptus...)

This also relates to the problem where roads have been mapped, but the phone doesn't have signal to download them. Anyone have ideas on how to get the waze client to cache 500+km in every direction? I'd settle for ~50km cache radius if possible?

Mapping anything other than the capital cities is going to be tricky at this rate...

Cheers,
Kev.
kevstark
Send a message

Post by kevstark
waynemcdougall wrote: 1. Some people have found "Enable Data Compression" helps in these situations. It's on the iPhone under Settings/Data usage. Other phone platforms may not have (or need) this option
Thanks Wayne,
I'm running Android 2.2 on the HTC Desire, data compression is turned on. I've noticed some serious improvements in the waze 2.x beta version but the client software still hangs and drops data on occasion.
waynemcdougall wrote: 2. I find Waze is better at sending the GPS data points back, then it is at road recording. I think it may try really hard to cache the GPS points. So in places where my road recording has petered out, I've been able to go back and finish the roads with the GPS points layer in Cartouche.
I'll look into this one - I hadn't found a use for the GPS layer yet but it makes sense!
Cheers
Kev.
kevstark
Send a message

Post by macneo
That's probably the best way to do it if you have to start from scratch.
My list of priorities usually is:
- connect the segments and create crossroads
- fix the geometry
- check the direction
- write names and set type

Basically, even if you just stop at the first step you already get a basic drivable map, which is a huge thing for a starting community. All other pieces are just to make it better and actually useful.
macneo
Send a message

Post by matkins112
Hi,

Im in Bendigo, Victoria. I think I'm the only Waze user in town. Looking forward to creating a few more maps where ever I drive, its kind of addictive I think. Might go map out the CBD tomorrow.

Cheers
Matt
matkins112
Send a message

Post by NathanLi
Ah, thats good to know about the plan for auto suburb / state separation in the future. I have recently started to map Canberra and was wondering about that, as I had seen examples of both. I was just doing suburb :oops: . I will go back and correct that. I'm guessing there is no way to do a rename of an existing 'city'?
NathanLi
Send a message

Post by paulmin
Just downloaded and installed Waze tonight. Live in Central QLD. I can't wait to start using it to see what it can do :-)
paulmin
Send a message

Post by Philthy82
Howdy all,

I found Waze almost a week ago and have been doing a fair bit of mapping in Melbourne since then, mainly Coburg, Pascoe Vale South, Brunswick, and a bit up in Sunbury. It really is addictive, but you also start to realise that developing a system and being consistent with your fellow mappers is important to make the work efficient and worthwhile. I'm now an area manager and I'm definitely appreciating the freedom to map the wider area and fix up bad junctions. I'm finding the steamroller function on my phone client isn't really worth using unless I'm in a completely unmapped area. It's good for points, but otherwise I find myself creating the map with reference to aerial photos instead of gps tracks.

On that note it would be great to see some better aerial photos for Australia implemented in the future. In the populated areas like Melbourne they're negligible, and a little ways out (Sunbury for instance) they're downright shocking and mapping is just a lot of guesswork. Reckon Waze will ever get this sorted, or does Google have a monopoly on high-res satellite photos?

Look forward to working with ya.
Philthy82
Send a message
iPhone 4 • Area Manager: Melbourne inner east (Collingwood) and regional