Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

A street's "city" - none / geographical / postal?

Post by adamcurtin
Hi,

I'm updating the map for some MoD housing nearby which is changing to private <https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... 934&zoom=6>

The affected streets currently have "none" as their city. Geographically they're on the edge of Henlow Camp, but according to the Royal Mail address finder, they're in Henlow (which is 3km away).

I can see pros and cons of changing them to Henlow or Henlow Camp. Since neither seems exactly right, should I just leave them as "none"?

I've googled and read some FAQs and wikis, but haven't found anything.
adamcurtin

POSTER_ID:16885952

Send a message

Post by adamcurtin
Timbones wrote:Given that "Henlow Camp" already exists as a city, I'd reckon it's okay to use that for these roads. Wikipedia says it's a "civilian settlement has grown up around [RAF Henlow]".
Thanks.
Timbones wrote:Most of the base appears to be assigned to "Lower Stondon", which I think is incorrect. From what I can tell, the boundary of Lower Stondon is the A600, though I'm not entirely convinced.
You're right, (a) that they shouldn't be Lower Stondon, and (b) that Henlow/Lower Stondon is divided by the A600.

According to the PAF data, the only postcode in Henlow Camp is SG16 6DP, which is 42 addresses on Hitchin Road (the B659). The PAF shows the other roads inside the camp having just a posttown of 'Henlow', and no other locality.
ditchi56 wrote:Local knowledge is best - where do the people living there think they live? Possibly hard to answer for a new housing!
Since they're on the camp, I expect most will think they're in Henlow Camp :-)

Thanks everyone!
adamcurtin
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
The best guide we have is https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/United_Kingdom/Cities - and it doesn't answer your question.

Local knowledge is best - where do the people living there think they live? Possibly hard to answer for a new housing! Another good guide is the village name board by the side of the road; indeed this is probably the most useful for drivers. Again, this may well change/move for a new development.

One line I would point out from that Wiki page is "Rural roads that are in-between towns should be be left with No city". I think this would apply to the roads between your development and Henlow proper, and it would seem really odd to have two separate groups of "Henlow". Furthermore, the app would show a "city smudge" stretching through the empty country between the two. I would definitely not use "Henlow".

The village of Lower Stondon is actually closer than Henlow, and some similar roads on the other side of the military base use that for their city. But again it wouldn't look good to have two separate chunks of "Lower Stondon" with "Henlow Camp" in between.

I wouldn't rule out using "Henlow Camp", it depends whether locals apply the name just to the military base itself, or both the base and the housing around it.

So no definite answer from me - would somebody else like to try?
EDIT: I see Timbones already has. :)
Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Given that "Henlow Camp" already exists as a city, I'd reckon it's okay to use that for these roads. Wikipedia says it's a "civilian settlement has grown up around [RAF Henlow]".

Most of the base appears to be assigned to "Lower Stondon", which I think is incorrect. From what I can tell, the boundary of Lower Stondon is the A600, though I'm not entirely convinced.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
If I use Google Streetview to "drive" towards RAF Henlow up the A600, I can see a sign that shows I'm entering Lower Stondon from the south. Turning right at the roundabout onto Hitchin Rd I see another boundary sign saying Henlow Camp. There's another sign visible at the eastern end.

From that, it's pretty clear that a) Henlow Camp should exist as a place, and b) where it begins.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries