Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

What could be the cause of these slow traffic notices?

Post by adamcurtin
Most days I drive the A600 and see Waze has this road <https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... =122390244> showing slow traffic between 10mph and 20mph.

To say that's a quiet road would be an understatement - there's hardly ever anything on there. The idea that it would have a traffic jam is ridiculous.

How does it happen? Is it the same bloke in his tractor / on his bicycle every morning, and because no other wazer uses the road, the warning stays there all day?

Just curious!
adamcurtin

POSTER_ID:16885952

Send a message

Post by Badger_D
I've noticed pretty much the exact same thing on this road: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... =123198852

Always assumed the same thing about a cyclist/tractor.
Badger_D
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
I think it must be due to someone traveling slower than Waze expects - cyclist or tractor sounds plausible.

However, Waze has no direct information about the nature of a road (or it's speed limit). It builds up history for each road that Wazers travel with the app running, and thus an idea of the normal speed for the road. "Slow" traffic gets flagged when it is slower than Waze expects, so 50mph would flag a traffic jam on some motorways, whereas of course on many other roads 50mph would be fast.

What I am getting round to saying is that there must be more than just the cyclist/tractor using your road, otherwise Waze would take their speed as normal. Also I don't think Waze should be able to flag slow traffic on a regular basis, since it would then become normal and therefore not "slow".

Maybe Timbones would like to monitor it, it's not like he has anything else to do ;)
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by winelight
Previously, one would rename the segment "do not use Waze if cycling" for a week or two, but I suspect that that is frowned upon these days.
winelight
Send a message